Pflueger Reintroduces New Medalist Fly Reel

A Medalist starting at $120? Seriously? The price is disappointing. Perhaps the greatest thing about the original was its value--great quality that was inexpensive. They need a model for half that price.

look for a an older south bend finalist 1122 or 1144...they were basically the same as an older pfleuger and you can find them cheap.

I had my hands on one the other day a guy has that looks like an old finalist 1144 but its not, or its a late production model after SB sold out. I has the right features but not the right markings (made in japan).

I don't like the pop in style frames, but you can finger it I guess...I had one starting out and still have it somewhere.

AkDan76 wrote:
look for a an older south bend finalist 1122 or 1144...they were basically the same as an older pfleuger and you can find them cheap.

Why? Everything that can be said abut a Finalist can be said about a Medalist.

Just get a Medalist. There are zillions of them out there and even somewhat collectable Medalists can be had inexpensively. Why get a knock off of a Medalist?

With all that said, aside from the nostalgia factor, why get a vintage Medalist at all? There are so many vastly superior modern budget priced reels available. If you are into vintage tackle, they are an iconic piece of gear, but as a fishing reel their time has (finally) passed.

As for the "new" medalist... ...meh.

Disclaimer: I have owned/own several vintage Medalists and appreciate them for what they are/were.

Yes the "glass geeks," as I am one of them, are excited about this reel. But at $120-$140...not so much.

I have a couple originals sitting on a shelf I got for next to nothing. And I doubt the new ones would be any better than those.

Very disappointing price point. At 1/2 that price I would get one to have both...not at $120.

The link also shows a glass rod that will be available Sept 9 for $200 to $250. The ad says:

Unidirectional S2 glass construction
Medium action blank design
All new Feralite® styling featuring a full cork handle and reel seat
Limited Lifetime Warranty

The all new Fenwick® Fenglass® series features our advanced unidirectional S2 glass construction. These lightweight fiberglass rods are designed for incredibly smooth, accurate fly presentation.

I was under the belief the finalist was pre medalist... Either way they'll both work.

I have enough gear personally.... though I'd like to find a ross g1 with a few spare spools at some point. I really don't need more.

if a guy was looking you could pick up both extremely cheap! Personally I never liked any of the pop in cassette style reels. to each their own.

I have 2 1122's for sale now.

Half the price? Try 1/5 the price or something. Up until Pflueger stopped making the Medalist, you could buy them at Amazon for $25.

This new reel is advertised as machined aluminum. Was that the case with the vintage reels? Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any reel, but if I did, it wouldn't be this one. Orvis CFO for my standard trout reel is a lottery-fantasy of mine.

OK from PennKev's link:

"Old-school Medalist were made of cast aluminum. Strong, but not nearly as strong as the new barstock aluminum models. Perhaps most appealing to the click-and-pawl fanatic is that the guts are all metal, and modeled after Hardy internals. In fact, the only plastic on the reel is the vintage yellow handle."

"Old school" Medalists were stamped from aluminum sheet stock, not cast. The author is misinformed.

At that pricepoint, it's competitive with other machined Asian reels. To me, it's a Medalist only in name, with little resemblance to the reel that generations of fly fishers used.

Having not even held one, I have no reason to doubt the new model's construction and performance. It could be a very good reel for the money, but I wonder what shops will be giving it shelf space.

Pure Fishing must believe the Pflueger brand has value on the new market. I don't think that's the case.

Pure Fishing is also reintroducing Fenwick glass rods. Methinks they are very deliberately trying to capitalize on the nostalgic glass market.

Not a bad idea but they are late to the game by several years.

Yeah Kev...own a new Fenwick and Medalist reel combo, and only for 4x the cost!

By the way, hipsters ruin everything. You know, 5 years ago or so you could buy just about any glass rod on ebay for the cheap. Medalists and other click pawl reels? No problem. You got $40, you could come off eBay with a pretty awesome combo! Now, thanks to the glass hipsters, prices on the vintage gear has gone through the roof.

I've got a '72 Ford Pinto I can let go for 20K (lime green). PM me if interested...

I just don't see the need for a glass rod . There must be a different class of fisherman out there that I have yet to meet , that are so great at fly fishing to the point were they need to make the fishing harder by using a glass rod so fly fishing is competitive again for them. The Medalist is great for holding fly line :pint:

..............................Just Saying..........................

Please explain how a glass rod makes fishing harder.

outsider wrote:
Please explain how a glass rod makes fishing harder.

A glass rod works great for some anglers casting short in smaller streams. It has limitations when casting greater distances, in the wind, or in tight places where a tighter loop and greater line speed is needed. Also, when you need a heavier weight rod for stripping streamers for big trout and for bass, steelies or saltwater, glass rods aren't really practical.

Fred is a bomber. He shops for rods in the housewares department and removes the broom end. A glass rod for him would be a handicap.

Back