Paflyfish Spring Jamboree 2024 - Save the date!

This is what my weather is saying now:​

Wed 15​

Rain
64°/56°
75%
ESE 7 mph

Thu 16​

AM Clouds/PM Sun
74°/55°
21%
NNE 7 mph

Fri 17​

PM Showers
72°/57°
37%
SSE 8 mph

Sat 18​

Showers
67°/55°
78%
SE 6 mph

Sun 19​

Partly Cloudy
77°/56°
24%
W 9 mph

Mon 20​

Partly Cloudy
75°/56°
24%
W 10 mph

Tue 21​

Partly Cloudy
72°/54°
24%
W 10 mph

Wed 22​

Partly Cloudy
70°/53°
24%
W 9 mph

Thu 23​

Showers
67°/53°
58%
W 8 mph

Fri 24​

Mostly Cloudy
71°/52°
24%
WNW 8 mph

Sat 25​

Partly Cloudy
72°/53°
24%
S 7 mph

Sun 26​

Mostly Cloudy
73°/54°
22%
SSW 9 mph

Mon 27​

Mostly Cloudy
73°/55°
24%
SSW 9 mph

light showers would be nice, storms and deluges will be bad!! Oh well, it's the JAM weekend!!

light showers would be nice, storms and deluges will be bad!! Oh well, it's the JAM weekend!!
It seems like we'll have the former instead of the latter, which will be great. Overcast skies and a little drizzle is much better than bluebird skies, IMO.

Well I'll take extra beer, at least I can Jam that way if the fishing sucks.

Penns and Little J still pretty high.
Any more rain will likely keep them unfishable for the weekend.
A lot of us will prolly have to flirt with Maurices "fat girl at the singles bar" - Spring Creek

Little J is toast IMO. But Penns is 600 and falling. If the rain underperforms, it could be high, but borderline. I’ve written off the Little J for this weekend (unless you’re bringing a boat), but holding on to hope for Penns yet.

Spring will likely be perfect.

So I should? or should not? tell my significant other that I'll likely end up going to the fat girl at the singles bar.....

So I should? or should not? tell my significant other that I'll likely end up going to the fat girl at the singles bar.....
I am definitely telling my wife this. If I show up to the jam with a black eye, you will know why.

I mean, the last two times I went with the fat chick, she didn’t put out. At least if Penns kicks your butt, you’re still at Penns.

I mean, the last two times I went with the fat chick, she didn’t put out. At least if Penns kicks your butt, you’re still at Penns.
Interesting.
Pretty hard to NOT find sulphers and risers, on spring this time of year. Even in high water
Of course, likely smaller fish than penns or little j

I know a lot of folks really do look at Spring as the fat chick at the singles bar, but it's one of my favorite cricks, if not the favorite, to fish. I can't even articulate why really.....but catching dinkers in 1 foot of water there just tickles my fancy for some reason.

Interesting.
Pretty hard to NOT find sulphers and risers, on spring this time of year. Even in high water
Of course, likely smaller fish than penns or little j

Last two times I was there (since that insane Saturday Jam weekend a few years ago), I sat on a log, drank a couple beers, and never made a cast. Never saw a Sulphur, never saw a rise. Didn’t feel like nymphing. These were both in mid-May.

I'm thinking of bringing float tubes and hitting Colyer or Poe Lake. Brown water trout fishing doesn't do it for me anymore.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

You're going to have to be more specific.

It was a few years ago now. 2017ish? Drizzly, spitty, but warm Saturday of Jam weekend. Water was up and off, but very fishable. Not an overwhelming number of Sulphurs, but they hatched steadily all day, and the fish went stupid. If a fish rose, you stung or caught it, 100% of time, dead drift, sloppy and draggy, didn’t matter. Everyone slayed. I got there late and only caught a few hours of it and caught 40 or 50 fish. Guys who were there all day were easily breaking 100. We had a first timer in our group who got about 20, if that tells you how good it was. Anyone who was there that day I’m sure remembers it. Mosquitoes were heinous. I was wrapped up in my rain jacket and pouring sweat, but well worth it.

Ever since then, Spring has been quite cold to me.

Last edited:
Haven't had that good a jam since pine creek. Must have missed that year.

FWIW to you jam guys, Penns is fishing great right now. It was 650ish, brown, and absolutely on fire last night. Best night I've had so far this year, but it has generally been very good since sulphurs started.

It was a few years ago now. 2017ish? Drizzly, spitty, but warm Saturday of Jam weekend. Water was up and off, but very fishable. Not an overwhelming number of Sulphurs, but they hatched steadily all day, and the fish went stupid. If a fish rose, you stung or caught it, 100% of time, dead drift, sloppy and draggy, didn’t matter. Everyone slayed. I got there late and only caught a few hours of it and caught 40 or 50 fish. Guys who were there all day were easily breaking 100. We had a first timer in our group who got about 20, if that tells you how good it was. Anyone who was there that day I’m sure remembers it. Mosquitoes were heinous. I was wrapped up in my rain jacket and pouring sweat, but well worth it.

Ever since then, Spring has been quite cold to me.
Spring literally blew up with feeding fish that afternoon, like someone just turned on the light switch. Fished until dark caught a ton of fish. Maybe a hundred?? Pouring at dark, couldn’t keep a sulphur on top - instantly drounded by pounding rain. It didn’t matter, if your fly was in the water you were hooked up! Kind of got tired of rain running down my a$$crack but what a hell of an evening! If I never experience it again at least I was fortunate enough to be a part of it that day, and for that I’m very thankful!

I remember that day, yeah it was stupid good, just like every cast. I stopped counting at like 50 but was only half done yeah.

Penns came up considerably overnight to like 1000 cfs. Thats too high for my blood, not really wanting to die trying to wade it. Little J blown, Big Fishing blown.

The rest of today and all day tomorrow are rain free so maybe they come down to the high end of fishable, we'll see. But more rain Friday and Friday night. Spring looks to be in good shape of course, fat chick at singles bar always puts out, lol.

Yeah, Penns is shot for sure.
Shoulda been there yesterday I guess

That rain missed the J though
And the upper part of it is borderline fishable now
Should be decent by the weekend with no more rain

Back