Paflyfish Spring Jamboree 2024 - Save the date!

How many brookies out of Penns?
3. Biggest one I took the pic of, with Penns in background to show it was Penns. Yes its wild, around 11". The other 2 were more like 7 or 8 inches.

And its funny, hit a small stream known to be a brook/brown mix in the afternoon before going to Penns. 2 brookies, 13 browns there. Get to penns for the evening, 1st 3 fish caught were brookies. As if Penns was trying to make a point.

Last edited:
Well the spinner fall was very strong last night on Spring where I was. So they hatched sometime. I don't know when, other than I wasnt there.
That's encouraging. Like you said, if you saw lots of sulphur spinners, that means lots of sulphur duns hatched.

Sometimes they hatch when few people are on the stream. Years ago I hit a heavy hatch of sulphurs on Spring Creek on May 4, from about 2 to 4:30 pm. The water boiled with rising trout. The weather was very cloudy, with off and on drizzle. I didn't see a single other fisherman. Around 4:30 pm the rain came down in a deluge and put an end to it.

Great Jam 2024. Great time.
Catching a little slow.
Get to the Spring Creek Saturday (3/4 hours) and Sunday (2 hours).
Duns very sporadic.
Managed 2 browns in the riffles , not the pools. They took unweighted small nymphs.
Hatch started fast, after 8pm, probably BWO spinners, I don’t think the sulphurs.
In general smaller creeks better chances to catch. Most water still high.

Spring Creek May 19 2024 w
Spring Cgeek Mqy19 2014 2w
Wild Brown Trout Spring Creek May w 19 2024
IMG 5846 w
Jam 2024 2w
Jam 2024 1w

The meat and cheese tray!
Dear pcray,

Who brought the meat and cheese trays. I met him in passing but we never exchanged pleasantries, or names?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I stopped at Tea on the way in Thursday. Had some success, but hooked and lost more than I landed. Tea was flowing quite well. Ended up fishing a few other State College/Bellefonte-area streams Friday and Saturday and found willing fish while the clouds were out. Didn't make it out to any of the more popular streams, as my goal was to see as few other anglers as possible. I stopped at Honey on the way home Sunday morning and it was flowing stronger than my tastes. The fishing competition in Reedsville was an absolute circus! I'm not a big dry fly angler and am happy drifting nymphs through likely hold water. As far as night life, I didn't stay up late, as once I returned to the cabin the tank was empty. I've become much more of a morning person as I age versus staying up late. It was nice to catch up with others and hopefully some form of the Jam can continue as the years go by.

IMG 4633

Tea Creek

IMG 4619

Tea Creek brown

IMG 4668

Bellefonte-area Salmo trutta

IMG 4671

Hydrate, one must! 🍺

IMG 4707

State College-area wild brown

IMG 4738

Spring creeks and aquatic vegetation :love:

IMG 4735

Fish like this out of a small stream are a blast. Watched this guy come up and nail my #18 copper bead Walt's Worm.

Last edited:
Mods, if these pics are huge on the full site, please let me know and I'll change them to thumbnails.

Another successful JAM in the books. Great to see everyone again. Awesome to meet some new (to me) members (Dudemanspecial, Tim Murphy). Aces, thank you for a great cigar! Bikerfish, tell Dave (I don't think he's on the forum) the meats and cheeses were amazing again. Thanks to Dave and the mods for making it happen again. See you next year.

Seven Mountains

Skybay and JackM

Ephemera guttulata

Albatross hooked up!

Image0000005

Last edited:
great pics Turkey!!! I will be sure to tell Dave everyone liked the meat and cheese tray!

Just wanted to add this thought....As a longtime member here who has never made it to a Jam it makes me happy to see the pictures and read the stories of the fishing and the gathering in general. I have one more year of coaching commitments that always seem to conflict with this great event but i am hoping that I make it in 2025 and beyond. The Jam is a great testament to this website and the people on it.

Just wanted to add this thought....As a longtime member here who has never made it to a Jam it makes me happy to see the pictures and read the stories of the fishing and the gathering in general. I have one more year of coaching commitments that always seem to conflict with this great event but i am hoping that I make it in 2025 and beyond. The Jam is a great testament to this website and the people on it.
Coaching and teaching put a major crimp in my May fishing. Still maybe 2 years of teaching to go. Hopefully a jam is in my future as well! Been fishing Penns for 40 years and have seen the Drake twice.

Coaching and teaching put a major crimp in my May fishing. Still maybe 2 years of teaching to go. Hopefully a jam is in my future as well! Been fishing Penns for 40 years and have seen the Drake twice.
I don't teach but have been coaching a travel soccer club team for the last 10 years. We play year round and it has been very fulfilling to watch the team grow over the years ( literally and figuratively .. LOL ). We finally have made it to the State Cup Challenge Championship next week at Subaru Park.

I’ve never made it to the Jam until this year since our May “long weekend at Kettle” conflicted with the Jam every year. Now that our Kettle crew are all retired I moved our dates (Mon - Thu) and that opened up the weekend to attend. I didn’t meet as many people as I hoped to but the conversations I was part of were hard to walk away from.

I also appreciate Jifigz taking me fishing on his home water (Kish). The weather didn’t exactly cooperate that day but I got some nice streamside insect photos and I missed on 4 strikes. Josh caught some fish in the tough conditions so that was good.

Prior to this event I have fished very little in Central PA. BFC 4 half days, Spring 2 half days, Penns 1 half day. The equivalent of just 3 1/2 days in 50 years of PA fly fishing. So being able to fish Penns for a full day, Spring for a full day and Kish for an evening gave me a better appreciation of the streams and what they hold.

If I’m able to swing it next year I’ll be back. Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Back