Paflyfish Spring Jamboree 2024 - Save the date!

Is there a formal agenda for the jamboree, or does everyone just show up and hang out/fish ad hoc?
Its ad hoc. If you show up anytime before 10:30 p.m. or so there's no gathering point really. The routine is generally people come and go from fishing excursions throughout the afternoon. Fish till too dark to see. Then walk out by flashlight, dewader, often a half hr or more drive, so its like a parade coming into the campground between like 10 and 11. Usually get settled and then find the gathering. Best if at pavillion/campfire but since its late and there are quiet hours thats been iffy in recent times, sometimes a gathering forms at cabin row instead. But there is typically plenty of beverages consumed over talk about the days fishing and plans being made for tomorrow, this goes into the early morning hours. Sleep in, repeat. It's glorious.

A surefire way to find the paff folks is to set a trap, place a cooler of IPAs and a bottle or two of boubon out in the open and hide behind some trees, they will show themselves soon enough!!
seriously though, just walk around the campground, you will recognize the fishing folks. like said above, head to the pavilion later in the evening.
Some of us are in the upper cabins, #s 69-71, we always have a fire going and always have some coffee and breakfast going in the mornings, stop up and say hi!

It’s early yet, but I’ll take it. This should make for some great fishing.

IMG 4534

Penns is rising. The jam must be soon. I need to retire. The end of the school year is just too crazy.

Its ad hoc. If you show up anytime before 10:30 p.m. or so there's no gathering point really. The routine is generally people come and go from fishing excursions throughout the afternoon. Fish till too dark to see. Then walk out by flashlight, dewader, often a half hr or more drive, so its like a parade coming into the campground between like 10 and 11. Usually get settled and then find the gathering. Best if at pavillion/campfire but since its late and there are quiet hours thats been iffy in recent times, sometimes a gathering forms at cabin row instead. But there is typically plenty of beverages consumed over talk about the days fishing and plans being made for tomorrow, this goes into the early morning hours. Sleep in, repeat. It's glorious.

Pat (pcray) “dewadering” is usually a highlight for any lady forum members attending.

Who can report on the road construction obstacles coming North on Interstate 99 and merging onto 322 West Expressway near State College?

I remember stopping at a small stream tributary to Penns. We had 3-4 in our group but there was no public land, nor signage against trespass. We approached the nearest farmhouse where the people were sitting on their porch. We asked if we could fish their property and they said yes. They added "it's brushier than the dickens." I then thought to ask, "Well where is the Dickens' property," but I didn't. Thereafter during our chat, they showed to us and asked us if we wanted any opossum pups.

Many years ago, I constructed and offered to Maurice this strike indicator, but he refused it:

I’m attending for the first time. I’ll be at Kettle (Mon-Thu morning) then heading straight to Seven Mountains. Probably catch a stream in route for a few hours since checkin is at 4pm. I have very little experience in this area of the state. I’ve fished Big Fishing Creek 4 times, Fishermans Paradise 3 times and Penns a half day. Any suggestions?

I’m attending for the first time. I’ll be at Kettle (Mon-Thu morning) then heading straight to Seven Mountains. Probably catch a stream in route for a few hours since checkin is at 4pm. I have very little experience in this area of the state. I’ve fished Big Fishing Creek 4 times, Fishermans Paradise 3 times and Penns a half day. Any suggestions?
I'm planning to stop over. I'm not camping out. But I know the area well. It's basically my home. If we link up, I'll show you some nice water to suit whatever you're looking for.

I'll be getting in late Thursday, best guess 7ish, and hustling to fish evening, probably spring. Then all day wherever Friday. Happy to fish with ya.

Penns is an experience if its low enough. Not always easy but its different for sure, one of my favs. It's high, and a wet week may keep it outta range, we'll see. But if it fishes I recommend

Dear Prospector,

From Kettle you can run Rte 144 to 5 miles away from the campground. You could take a short detour in Renovo to fish Young Womans Creek or Hyner Run. You could just stay on Rte 144 and fish Wallace Run below Shoe Shoe PA, or run down to Logan Branch near Bellefonte. You could even go to Centre Hall and head out Rte 192 to White Deer Creek and many smaller wild trout streams between Rte 192 and Rte 45, or try to find a place to fish on Elk Creek or Pine Creek.

Most of the streams I've mentioned are smaller waters and should be in pretty decent shape.

Have fun no matter where you go!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Prospector,

From Kettle you can run Rte 144 to 5 miles away from the campground. You could take a short detour in Renovo to fish Young Womans Creek or Hyner Run. You could just stay on Rte 144 and fish Wallace Run below Shoe Shoe PA, or run down to Logan Branch near Bellefonte. You could even go to Centre Hall and head out Rte 192 to White Deer Creek and many smaller wild trout streams between Rte 192 and Rte 45, or try to find a place to fish on Elk Creek or Pine Creek.

Most of the streams I've mentioned are smaller waters and should be in pretty decent shape.

Have fun no matter where you go!

Regards,

Tim,

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve been fishing Young Womans for many years so I know that is a great choice. Also fished Pine a few times. I’ve heard about Hyner Run, Elk creek and White Deer Creek but never fished them.

I’ll probably choose between Wallace Run, Logan Branch, White Deer Creek and Elk Creek In passing Ive heard Elk mentioned the most.

Tim,

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve been fishing Young Womans for many years so I know that is a great choice. Also fished Pine a few times. I’ve heard about Hyner Run, Elk creek and White Deer Creek but never fished them.

I’ll probably choose between Wallace Run, Logan Branch, White Deer Creek and Elk Creek In passing Ive heard Elk mentioned the most.
I plan on fishing Little j on way out Thursday.
Then Penns on Friday.
These are the places with the best chance to catch larger fish.
Water levels permitting of course
Anyhoo, you're welcome to meet or take along with me

Tim,

Thanks for the advice.

Dear Prospector,

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Pine Creek that flows into Penns Creek in Coburn and not the Big Pine in Lycoming County.

Regards,

Had some stuff unexpectedly clear from my schedule for next weekend. Still not a sure thing as my wife is pregnant, but I’d say it’s looking pretty good that I can at least make a day trip Saturday. May try to gauge her receptiveness to me staying either Friday or Saturday night, but I’m not even gonna try for both.

My brother in law lived in state college. Our camp is in keating. He said it was always faster to drive 80 to lock haven and run 120 back past the bottom of Kettle to camp than 144. Your choice.

Back