PAFF Annual Spring Jamboree 2010

Dan

The invation still stands, your welcome to stay at my place!

We are dog friendly :)

Paul

Cant quite commit yet as I'm working on a couple things for and about the jam.
You know, you're too good to me. :)

Squaretail wrote:
Cant quite commit yet as I'm working on a couple things for and about the jam.
You know, you're too good to me. :)

Dan

IM trying to butter you up, I want to get you to give me some lessions on nymphing Spring creek ;-)

PaulG

Yeah okay. And when I'm done there, I've got to teach Chuck Norris the finer points of kickboxing.
Take the beetle off, put the scud on. But you HAVE to take the beetle OFF first.

Class dismissed. :lol:

Sign in

Attachments

• Clericus1854.jpg
    Clericus1854.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 2
I was thinking of businesses in the immediate area of the jamboree, and figured it might be worth mentioning. I'll toss a few out there. Feel free to add.

There are plenty of places to eat or shop for food, if you are worried about that. There's also a fly shop within a minute or two.

Groceries:
Aside from some small shops in Millheim, there is a bigger store (burkholder's market) a few minutes west on 45.

Restaurants:
OIP sandwiches and pizza in Millheim. Excellent sandwiches on ciabatta bread.

Elk creek cafe. A few beers that I believe are brewed on site, as well as some good food.

Brownie's tavern. A bar with bar beverages and bar food. I believe they also offer a bathroom for changing your pants, Mo.

Fly shops, closest to farthest (I usually stop at all of these if possible):
The feathered hook
Penns Creek Angler
Flyfisher's paradise
TCO
Spruce Creek Outfitters

Fill in the blanks guys.

Which place did you get that ale last year? I'll def be packin' a growler. I hope they don't care if it's an ABC growler, though.

Boyer

Elk Creek Cafe is a solid place. Good beer, good food, and very good music. Best music venue in central PA, IMO. Mostly blues, jazz, and bluegrass. Real close to the jam. No schedules that far in advance, and I doubt many will skip the fire ring for Sat. Night. But they sometimes have music on weeknights.

I don't know much up in the fishing creek direction.

Tons of places in State College, too many to list. I recommend Otto's, good food and great beer, on the wrong side of town but right off the bypass, so its pretty quick to get there. I like their beer better than Elk Creek. Prospectors is a solid choice if coming from Spruce or the LJR, it's on W. College SW of town. Boalsburg has Duffy's Tavern and Kelly's, Kelly's serves both Elk Creek and Otto's beer with good food, but a bit pricy. S. Atherton adds the Autoport, Fascia Luna, among others, all solid but not convenient to any fishing. Unfortunately, the NE side of town, near the fly shops, is the weakest part for food. Damon's isn't far, and its solid. Other than that its Sheetz, mall food, or fast food.

Pleasant Gap has the PA Roadhouse & Tavern. The place is a little rough as the name implies, but the food is very good and its location isn't far from Paradise.

Bellefonte is less blessed with good food, but I may be unaware of some. My favorite there has been Home Delivery Pizza Pub. It's on 550/Zion Rd. just east of town, near the I-99 interchange. Don't let the name fool ya, its a bar with a full menu.

For breakfast in S.C., the Original Waffle Shop (N. Atherton and on the corner of Blue Course and College) is exceptional. Another chain, called the Waffle Shop (without the "original"), has downtown S.C. and Bellefonte locations. It too is good, but not as good as the "Original".

On the supplies and grocery front, if you are heading over to Spring Creek from Coburn, you can easily divert to the Mall Area outside State College and get every kind of creature comfoort you want, including a reasonably priced keg of beer just off the expressway.

KEG!! now we're talking!! LOL.
elk creek cafe does have great beer and food. also a pizza shop across the street that has the biggest calzones I've ever seen. milheim hotel is good too, good bar food, burgers and such, cheap.
best bet is probably to bring most of what you need from home, less time shopping is more time fishing!
can't wait!!

bikerfish wrote:
also a pizza shop across the street that has the biggest calzones I've ever seen

That's OIP.

I always get the OIP sub, because it's consistently awesome. Gonna have to try a calzone now!

oh yeah, they are huge. last time there I got a large and got three meals out of it! I love that little town, everyone always asks how the fishing is!
millheim and coburn are both on my list of places I'd like to move to. hopefully the sprawl from state college will never reach there.

I just found some stickers at work. They are big enough to write your name on. Pretty sure there are more than enough. Unless someone wants to bring something fancier, I will bring them up. I will be coming early Friday.

surveyor06 wrote:
I just found some stickers at work. They are big enough to write your name on. Pretty sure there are more than enough. Unless someone wants to bring something fancier, I will bring them up. I will be coming early Friday.

Surveyor, make sure they can be removed easily from an outer garment. The name tags use a special glue that allows it to come off easily. Put one on a jacket and leave it on half the day, then see if it removes without damaging the fabric. If so, bring them along. They will get used.

We had 50 plus people there last year. I would not be suprised if we have 70 plus this... just an idea on the attendance.

Cool Jack- what kind of beer you picking up? I will contribute $3 for a cup. Hey, that $3 more than I used to pay in college. heheh

ryguyfi wrote:
We had 50 plus people there last year. I would not be suprised if we have 70 plus this... just an idea on the attendance.

Now I know I'll have to get a bigger coffee pot!

PaulG

Paul, maybe another member has access to a large coffee urn like you would have at a small banquet or party. If so, it would be great if they would bring it along. There should be more than one pot brewing if we even have the same crowd as last year. I recall you being very busy trying to keep up with consumption last year.

Back