PAFF Annual Spring Jamboree 2010

Tom's Grizzly Adams advice aside, having learned a bit more about tent camping from my adventure with Bruno to Pulaski in October, I recommend:

a tent you are sure is watertight
a ground cover under the tent to keep moisture away from the tent bottom if possible.
A cot or air mattress to get you off the ground and any moisture.
As tom mentioned, a warm sleeping bag.

Warm clothes to sleep in:
Breathable socks or wool if real cold
tossle cap, polypro or fleece pants/sweatpant/longjohns/sweatshirt.
Rain jacket and shoes/boots handy to leave tent and stay dry

If teamed with another or on your own, bring a canopy tent that you can set a picnic table under and have a relatively dry place to get out of tent, grab a beer, a snack, etc.

Have a flashlight or headlamp in your tent. Bring a lantern.

I've left stuff out, but this will help a lot.

I mentioned these:

A cot or air mattress to get you off the ground and any moisture.
a warm sleeping bag.

Because I think they are the only variables from any other kind of camping. If you don't do the other stuff in any kind of camping you should get a hotel. I have done the air mattress thing...if you don't have a cot you'll get wet...its just a matter of how wet. If you have a pickup with a cap, get a thermarest or similar insulated pad and sleep in the bed...better than a lot of cabin beds.

I've never camped, so I'm completely without clue as to how this works. That said, I'm considering coming for a night or so, and will simply sleep in the back of my vehicle on an airmattress.

First off, from those who are campers, is this a bad idea?

I assume that all I need to do is reserve a spot with the camp ground then, tell the guy I'm sleeping in a van.

Are there facilities? I know, its a stupid question, but again, totally clueless here.

gfen wrote:
I've never camped, so I'm completely without clue as to how this works. That said, I'm considering coming for a night or so, and will simply sleep in the back of my vehicle on an airmattress.

I assume that all I need to do is reserve a spot with the camp ground then, tell the guy I'm sleeping in a van.

Are there facilities? I know, its a stupid question, but again, totally clueless here.

gfn

I know of 1or2 other that sleep in their vehicle!

All

Since the big turn out last year, what do you guys think about having some name tags this year?

PaulG

Yes on the nametags. Screen name small at top, first name or normal nickname large at bottom. A roll of 100+ stick on lapel tags should be pretty cheap. Will someone volunteer to bring some along?

http://www.thenerds.net/C_LINE.C_line_Hello_Badges.92235.html

$2.29 per 100

Attachments

• badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 2
FYI- there are flush toliets and showers. Although, the showers are a quarter.

Sure I have name tags at home- I'll just have to check to see how many I have- gonna be a couple weeks. I'll let you know.

acristickid wrote:
FYI- there are flush toliets and showers. Although, the showers are a quarter.

Just to clarify this......they are RUN BY quarters...only take one quarter and you will be left standing buck nekid with suds all aver ya.

It took me at least two quarters each time I showered there.

Wanna have some fun? If you go into the bathhouse and someone is showering, fogging up the room, take their quarters off the coin machine and go outside and listen for them to yell. :)

Ha- think Jack is suggesting I buy them if I dont have that many. I will check.

Some guys rent cabins- they get drunk for half the night then spend the other half trying to sleep while 4-5 guys get up off top bunks to pee, snore, fart, cough or possibly fall on their face. Who wants a spot in a cabin?

Best advice for this jam thing is to camp far away from everyone else-so when you want to get away from these goofs you can just slip away to peace and quiet and enjoy a great night sleep in your waterproof tent on a comfy cot.

Okay 2 quarters- any more is suspect.

I did a two-three quarter shower at around 2:30 AM or so both Friday and Saturday night last year. No one around and you can sing without embarassment. Fell asleep quickly, but morning came quickly too.

gfen wrote:

I've been camping in the back of my pickup for a long time.
I don't like air mattresses. Too squishy to sleep good on IMO
Get yourself a thick self inflating camp pad. They have foam inside - and also puff up with air when you roll them out.
I have two - 3" wenzel camp pads. I've been sleeping on both of them lately, and it's really quite comfy

paul, i really like the name tag idea, i`m terrible with names and i hate having a conversation with someone and can`t remember their name !!!

Man, I just can't catch a break with these things. I was getting so excited this week to come to the Jam - and bam! my boss tells me yesterday that I am going to Texas from 5/22-26. So mad.... something ALWAYS comes up for these jams.

And you are just going to accept that announcement? Hopefully you explained that your Jamboree plans were made first and that it would be rude of you to change them. If, on the other hand, you actually need your job, then we will excuse your silent acceptance.

ErnieBall wrote:
my boss tells me yesterday that I am going to Texas from 5/22-26.

So you are saying you might have to leave before midnight from the Friday night fire ring on the 21st?

about the ground cover from expierence it should be the same size or even a bit smaller than your tent because if it is sticking out beyond the edge of your tent rain will get between your ground cover and your tent and your floor if not water proof will get wet

Im sure you guys know this but if you don't.You can put multiple coins in those showers, that way you don't have to get out of the shower when your time runs out. One quarter is never enough!

PaulG

tomgamber wrote:
ErnieBall wrote:
my boss tells me yesterday that I am going to Texas from 5/22-26.

So you are saying you might have to leave before midnight from the Friday night fire ring on the 21st?

More or less :lol:

This sucks.

Nothins changed right? Just need to double verify May 21 to the 23rd?

Back