PA Opening Day plans

What about other states who have fixed the damage and restored brook trout? Do you mean it won't work in Pennsylvania? Curious why you think we're so unique. Other than how our aquatic resource management agency is structured compared to other states.

FTFY
Take a look at my home county. Lancaster county probably has more spring creeks than any other county in PA yet they are all devoid of any wild trout let alone Brook trout. One exception would be Hammer creek, (not a pure spring creek), and it’s headwaters are in Lebanon county.

Neighboring Chester county had a handful of brook trout streams the Brandywine creek watershed. You would be hard pressed to find any today. All due to development, farming and industry.

On a positive note, some schuylkill county streams are rebounding but for every stream you save, another is likely to go by the wayside.

Now, I'm sitting here wondering who peed in your Wheaties. But then, I didn't even read half of the responses. That said, If I was going to fish opening day this year, I'd likely be using spinning gear, and be using bait or hardware, and fishing a stocked stream. I'd likely even keep a few for dinner. There is a stocked stream about 20 minutes from where I live where I have had decent success on opening day and had a decent size stretch of the stream by myself. I even used a fly rod. In fact, there were no other cars parked near mine until I was leaving.

But not being a big fan of opening day started even before I started fly fishing for trout. I hate crowds. Back in the day, my brother and i would sometimes fish for crappie or even catfish on opening day. I remember hauling his rowboat on top of my Ford Pinto. It fid down over the top of the doors. Now, that was a sight.

Question: Does this make me a panfish snob? If it makes you feel any better, I dislike FFO regs, too.

P.S. I saw the winky face. I'm just playing along.

P.P.S. I just noticed that I only need 4 more likes to get my next participation trophy points!!!
And one more......

Take a look at my home county. Lancaster county probably has more spring creeks than any other county in PA yet they are all devoid of any wild trout let alone Brook trout. One exception would be Hammer creek, (not a pure spring creek), and it’s headwaters are in Lebanon county.

Neighboring Chester county had a handful of brook trout streams the Brandywine creek watershed. You would be hard pressed to find any today. All due to development, farming and industry.

On a positive note, some schuylkill county streams are rebounding but for every stream you save, another is likely to go by the wayside.
Development was ranked below invasive brown trout by the numbers
CFB0E5B2 B43F 4465 8A2A D611F7BF207E

The reason the schuyllkill county streams are bouncing back is the acid keeps out the brown trout not the development

Why break tradition? I've not got out on OD in PA for about 15 years. If my grandson had any interest I'd take him out but all he wants to do is shoot deer with the bow.

Development was ranked below invasive brown trout by the numbers
View attachment 1641229558
If you look at the chart closely, you will note that it states that the number were based off opinion. That being said, poor land management, sedimentation and urbanization are the overwhelmingly the majority of the issues in my geographical area. Wild brown trout don’t even exist.

Now outside of my southeastern bubble, AMD has certainly made a huge impact across the state a PA.

Our efforts are better spent trying to clean up mine drainage and improving agricultural practices. At least we will be benefiting more than just the native brook trout.

If you look at the chart closely, you will note that it states that the number were based off opinion. That being said, poor land management, sedimentation and urbanization are the overwhelmingly the majority of the issues in my geographical area. Wild brown trout don’t even exist.

Now outside of my southeastern bubble, AMD has certainly made a huge impact across the state a PA.

Our efforts are better spent trying to clean up mine drainage and improving agricultural practices. At least we will be benefiting more than just the native brook trout.
Its not just opinion, there is a percentage watersheds affected and it beats development statewide. Yes near you if brown trout not present they are bot limiting factor because of development but then again no brook trout either ao where they still exist development the leading issue. No one has proposed brinint brook trout back to philly suburbs, we need to work with them where they still exist. And fixing AmD is good I agree but if invasive brown trout come in by by brook trout. You cannot ignore invasive trout species and successfully restore brook trout. Not saying we need the volume of the atlantic ocean in rotenone but adding them by the millions and millions is the opposite end of spectrum

The reason the schuyllkill county streams are bouncing back is the acid keeps out the brown trout not the development
No it’s likely due to current active and passive treatment plans on the Schuylkill watershed. PFBC also took action to stop raw sewer being dumped into the headwaters of because of the lack of a sewer treatment plant was installed.

No it’s likely due to current active and passive treatment plans on the Schuylkill watershed. PFBC also took action to stop raw sewer being dumped into the headwaters of because of the lack of a sewer treatment plant was installed.
That helps but there is a point at which a stream becomes basic enough for brook trout but still more acidic than favorable for brown trout. The projects in ravine are a perfect example of this. I know alot of streams in the skook that are listed class A and bow just full of browns that don’t have serious AmD issues. I also know of pristine streams in the rothrock state forrest that come out of old growth hemlock forests chocked with mountain laurels that only have brown trout. This comparison between brook trout living in an orange stream thats partially timbered vs. brown trout in a stream coming out of an old growth hemlock forest forces us to acknowledge that tunnel vision on simply just clean cold water ultimately will fail if other limiting factors such as invasive species are present

Its not just opinion, there is a percentage watersheds affected and it beats development statewide. Yes near you if brown trout not present they are bot limiting factor because of development but then again no brook trout either ao where they still exist development the leading issue. No one has proposed brinint brook trout back to philly suburbs, we need to work with them where they still exist. And fixing AmD is good I agree but if invasive brown trout come in by by brook trout. You cannot ignore invasive trout species and successfully restore brook trout. Not saying we need the volume of the atlantic ocean in rotenone but adding them by the millions and millions is the opposite end of spectrum
I’m not saying I don’t agree with the opinion but in the information you cited it specifically says that it is an opinion.

Just a formality, I could care less.
I’m not trying to start a fight, I just find it amusing that you can find fault in every single post on here. It’s really quite entertaining and is starting to really cut in on my Facebook time.

I’m not saying I don’t agree with the opinion but in the information you cited it specifically says that it is an opinion.

Just a formality, I could care less.
I’m not trying to start a fight, I just find it amusing that you can find fault in every single post on here. It’s really quite entertaining and is starting to really cut in on my Facebook time.
I mean there is a percentage is 27% an opinion?

No its a quantifiable impairment that ranks 3rd, above development

What i find entertaining is the mental gymnastics people have to do in the face of a crushing mountain of clear objective data on the effects of invasive trout on brook trout to convince themselves and others that whats good for their fishing preferences is conservation. You can show people over and over again these concepts being put to work and working like gang busters 20 minutes south of the state line they will still tell you its impossible because of what happened hundreds of years ago when we still have brook trout and other native fish/amphibians in pristine watersheds to work with threatened by invasive species

Holy COW. Yes, it says it's opinions of regional professionals. What is a regional professional? Can I be one? Also, poor land management is #1. By far. And while it isn't development IT IS DEVELOPMENT. Poor land management is what is happening from us utilizing land for food, timber, mining, all of which grow and enhance development.

I actually love fishing mixed brown/brookie streams the best. They're my favorite. I love the element of surprise and possibility.

My opinion is that 27% of my overall brainpower is far too much to waste on this topic.

Holy COW. Yes, it says it's opinions of regional professionals. What is a regional professional? Can I be one? Also, poor land management is #1. By far. And while it isn't development IT IS DEVELOPMENT. Poor land management is what is happening from us utilizing land for food, timber, mining, all of which grow and enhance development.

I actually love fishing mixed brown/brookie streams the best. They're my favorite. I love the element of surprise and possibility.
Again 27% measurable, its very common for people to like fishing mixed streams better the only thing better in many peoples opinions is “the trifecta” throw stream bred rainbows in there and people think it’s ferngully.

The more time I spend on this forum reading these topics get beat to death the less I actually care about these topics. Weird.
Because you were out there advocating before right

Back