New to the site-- Thought I'd share my favorite nymph

STONEMAN wrote:
Very nice. Very realistic. But i am not a big fan of the ultra realistic looking flies. It seems like cheating. Sorry.

I agree. While I would never judge anybody for doing it, I think I just prefer the more traditional approach when it comes to flies. It certainly does look like it would work though.

BradFromPotter wrote:
by Yotrout on 2011/4/22 17:58:45

That's amazing!!!! It looks so real. I thought you just took a bug and threw a hook through it.

I figured id post a pic of my favorite nymph too.!

Classy man, real classy!

I have an 8 year daughter who loves fishing & this crap is posted!

My apologies Brad. I was just messin. Didn't take into consideration the younger crowd. Again, i do apologize.

stonfly,
I like your stone fly and welcome to the PAFF forums. Creative and/or ultra realistic ties have a place in the art and really shine IMO. My only suggestions would be to use smaller plastic dumbell eyes and make a few turns of dubbing over the knot to create a "head" in-between the eyes. Also, if you're planning on fishing this fly, I'd replace the stiff legs with some softer natural material, like mallard flank. It won't speed up your tying time much but will look more natural as actual nymph legs underwater are very soft. I'd keep the stiff plastic legs for nymphs you plan to display rather than fish with.
Very nice indeed.

Fishidiot wrote:
stonfly,
I like your stone fly and welcome to the PAFF forums. Creative and/or ultra realistic ties have a place in the art and really shine IMO. My only suggestions would be to use smaller plastic dumbell eyes and make a few turns of dubbing over the knot to create a "head" in-between the eyes. Also, if you're planning on fishing this fly, I'd replace the stiff legs with some softer natural material, like mallard flank. It won't speed up your tying time much but will look more natural as actual nymph legs underwater are very soft. I'd keep the stiff plastic legs for nymphs you plan to display rather than fish with.
Very nice indeed.

Good sentiments FI (as always). I would just add that sometimes stiff can be the recipe...particularly in fast water. In fast water, I prefer the stiffer because the softer materials can get flattened against the body, where the stiffer material will hold the profile better.

The legs on that fly are actually rubber... I was using a stiffer material, but felt the same way you do - I was losing movement. So I went to rubber legs last year. I put a knee bend in them with a soldering iron.
I'll get a step by step together, but I have alot on my list ahead of it.

Thanks for the opinions. And I will spend a little more on the head and see what I get.

very nice fly but if i may suggest using burnt mono eyes would look even more realistic in my honest opinion.But to me looks like that fly has the smacl down on the browns.ff46

Nice looking stonefly. Here my version in black.

Attachments

• Huricane Stone 001.JPG
    Huricane Stone 001.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 2
Back