New Flies just off the vise

If that worked on the Letort.... I'd quit fishing tomorrow.

:lol:gfen:lol:

I think that fly could work on the Letort.....I don't think they are very selective.
I have often thought I could catch every fish in the Letort with any fly provided they don't know I'm there trying to catch them.

I told someone today that if they were ever to invent predator like invs camo.....fishing the Letort would be fun once or twice. After that, it would lose what makes it so special.

Every pattern will catch fish, even gfens secret pattern.

So if one of your flies doesn't get tied again it's the fisherman (which would be you) and not the fly.

CAtching stockers using bright, flashy patterns isn't fishing. Hell, just put a spoon on your flies; or I bet your the type of guy that buys those spinners blades for the from of your flies too.

Another note is glow in the dark material isn't unique. My uncle worked as a purchasing manager for a large textile factore. I have 3 100 thousand yard spools of premium glow in the dark floss.

You want to talk about unique, there's one of your materials down. As far as tubing, nothing new and I get it from a guy in 5 sizes. Now to your glass beads, although I don't use them, the craft store sells a thousand different styles and colors. I know you think yours are special, but I then have to tell you that if a fish can tell the difference between glass bead types, they can definately see the hook, eye of the hook, and the telephone cable protruding from said eye...oh the knot too.

Are you by chance related to Little J?

It might work but you might want to put some jelly cord around that lead that makes all the difference in the world! :)

I like how the extra red thread extends from the body and makes it look more buggy. I think those fibers flowing in the water would give it a life like look.

Imitating life, thats what its all about right? ;-)

Well Gfen I catch a lot of steel in Erie and have guys asking me what to do. I do my best business on the water by guys seeing that and approaching me. If I am on the water and someone asks me something I am not hesitant to give them the information they need. I am not like those snobby guys that won't as even look at you let alone speak. I like to fish and anyone that likes to do the same is a good guy. I would like to see more kids get into the sport its a positive thing to get a kid into fishing something that may last a lifetime. Also I like that project healing waters that teaches disabled veterans to tie and fly fish.

Sometimes I vary the hot spot colour, you know, they want a Subway Spicy Italian instead of a Big Mac and all. Not that they've ever told me, but I see it in their eyes.

I dunno there, duder, I know they say any publicity is good publicity, but if I were looking for an Erie guide, this thread has not been a raging endorsment.
Boy Gary-hate to stir you up this early,in your "delicate" condition,but-
West Yellowstone MT. probably has as many guides per square inch as any place on the planet.
Some nationally known with huge reps.
one of the locals set himself apart from the rest by billing himself as
"The best whitefish guide in the world".
or words to that effect.
Since the rocky mountain whitefish is in the same league as suckers,you would think that would be in the top two"who gives a[insert word of choice]".
He probably is deceased by now but in his time he was as popular as any guide including Stu Apte-even though stories about him in flyfisherman mentioned how he would avoid trout holds and put his clients on whitefish.
So if your name is out there you can always count on a few suckers taking the bait.

Mkern how many glow in the dark flies do you see? the material is not new but fishing them is. The tubing is not new it has been out for years. Also bead color has a huge impact. Flashy flies are used for steelhead something it appears you don't know. I fish natural colors for trout too. Like I said fish with me and we'll see what happens. A lot of people can talk big on here but can they actually produce that is the question. I know there are many good fly fishermen on here so I'm not knocking anyone. If someone claims to be the best then I say lets see. haha

gfen wrote:
salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
You didn't see when I spot burnt a particular stream in A-town loaded with big stocked pelletheads did you? :lol:

Pfft, you mean the infamous Alientown Steelhead Alley? That was my thread, sir! MINE! You just brought infamy to the lower portion. :)

Since we're all sharing secret flies, this is mine, I like to think of it as a Pennsylvania-Dutch nymph:

Lol. The barb is crushed. That is awesome.

Did anyone read on this thread where someone claimed to be the best? I know I didn't see it anywhere.

gfen,

Throw a little floss on that and call it a royal dutch nymph

krayfish wrote:
gfen,

Throw a little floss on that and call it a royal dutch nymph

It is floss, actually. It was created during the Royal MF Swap.

I don't know why everyone knocks steelhead on here. I have seen many guys go home without as even a hit on their flies in Erie. They are a lot harder to catch than everyone makes them out to be. Just because it is a stocked fish dose not make it any less fun to catch. I know there are a lot of wild only guys on here. Fishing is fun in general whether it is a stocked or wild fish. I would rather catch fish than to beat the water all day and come home empty handed.

Its not the fish as much and the crowds that turn me off in Erie anyway. But I am just not not a fan of combat fishing. Way to many idiots fish the erie tribs.

If the river isn't blown out and you don't hook a steelhead, you should consider a different sport. Just keep nymphing with flashy crap, you'll catch one or ten.

MHanes wrote:
Its not the fish as much and the crowds that turn me off in Erie anyway. But I am just not not a fan of combat fishing. Way to many idiots fish the erie tribs.

Same reason I've only fished steelhead twice...I really don't like fishing around other people. I've always been somewhat of a loner, and the number one reason I love hunting and fishing is the solitude. As to steelhead slamming, I've landed a total of six, and yes, they're fun, but I can walk to the Susky and have as much fun with carp and smallmouths without the 5-hour drive.

The crowds are one thing you have to put up with but if you want to catch steelhead you have to do it. I don't care for all the "nuts" they get up there but where else is there to go for that fish? NY is ten times worse that PA. If you fish NY you have to have a lot of guys go with you and lock up a section of river. Ohio is not bad guys over there give you space and are helpful. Plus the water is much larger and nicer to fish.

I don't know why everyone knocks steelhead on here.
Since they hadn't been planted when I headed West,I have been wondering that also-
I know that West Coast steelheading was held in a higher regard than Montana trout fishing by John and Dan Bailey,other shop owners and many fly fishermen out west that enjoyed the opportunity to do both.
I did have the catch to catch quite a few nice rainbows coming out lakes on the Missouri to feel that native or stocked is a ridiculous distinction ,with lake living fish on spawning runs.
So the best I can come up with here is a composite of remarks I have read here.
Its the location and crowds,that make it feel more like Jersey opening day ring fishing and Missouri trout farm fishing than west coast steelheading.
The fish are the same .

You are going to the wrong places in NY. Lot more water up there to spread out on if you know where to go.

Back