Liquid gold is coming...

Penns, so blown out right now.

Penns, so blown out right now.

Rain so far has been underwhelming in Clinton Lycoming Co area. Hopefully today comes through.

It's a train from Carlisle up through Scranton. This morning poured with lots of lightning. Flower beds looking like fish ponds. We HAD to get an inch in the last 4-5 hours.

3/4" yesterday morning in my rain gauge, dumped it.
just looked 15 minutes ago and there is 1 3/4" from yesterday and overnight/this morning.
Took a ride around this morning and all the creeks look like chocolate milk.

Yellow Breeches - right now @ 11am. Wow - I finally have it all to myself!!

So I’m day 3 into month long road trip - right along the exact path this storm is taking —- I’ve got some strategic decisions to make. In a nod to Hollywood & some of my favorite films , I am either:

A. Rod Steiger ( Charlie) to Marlon Brando ( his brother Terry ) in the back of the sedan in On the Waterfront … “ Kid, that night in the Garden … it just wasn’t your night “
Maybe this month— just isn’t my month.

Or I am

B. Johnny Fontain, head in my hands … “ God Father - I don’t know what to do “ … and Vito Corleone slaps me across my face and screams “ YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!! WHATS A MATTER WITH YOU??!!” … and gut this out.

For now - I may just go to Stan’s Beverage in Carlisle… & drown my sorrows in a few of those 8% alcohol fruit slushies they sell in a styrofoam “ to go” cup … & look for inspiration, smoke signals… or some kind of sign…

( ps … waders on - heading over to Big Spring to that meadow pool with the monster Rainbows … maybe today is the day )

Attachments

• F9FC8098-B960-4927-AE9A-E9C6365E0A0C.jpeg
    F9FC8098-B960-4927-AE9A-E9C6365E0A0C.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 31
  • D26ECB4C-DE8A-4CA3-B543-743DE8969063.jpeg
    D26ECB4C-DE8A-4CA3-B543-743DE8969063.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 31
Driving east back across the state from a weekend in Pittsburgh with my folks. Stopped at Sideling Hill for a lunch break for our infant son.

On the drive so far, everything west of the Allegheny Front was low and clear, everything east is blown out chocolate milk. Very sharp falloff gradient to the west.

We fished in the Laurel Highlands a little yesterday. Flows were seasonably low, but fishable. Caught a few Brookies. Pepperoni Rolls from Pie Shoppe in Laughlintown are legit.
A9FD8411 3EF6 421D 88EE 8405FFE3B8E6
7AFF692F D50E 4B5F A042 2479D36568EE
AFCEE547 48A4 40CD 8E4A 25C7E6D6BB02

Driving east back across the state from a weekend in Pittsburgh with my folks. Stopped at Sideling Hill for a lunch break for our infant son.

On the drive so far, everything west of the Allegheny Front was low and clear, everything east is blown out chocolate milk. Very sharp falloff gradient to the west.

We fished in the Laurel Highlands a little yesterday. Flows were seasonably low, but fishable. Caught a few Brookies. Pepperoni Rolls from Pie Shoppe in Laughlintown are legit.View attachment 1641230149View attachment 1641230150View attachment 1641230151
I'm about to check out some mountain cricks today and I'm just hoping they aren't blown.....but I'm doubtful.

I'm about to check out some mountain cricks today and I'm just hoping they aren't blown.....but I'm doubtful.

Good problem to have. If they’re blown out today, they’ll be good by tomorrow or Tuesday.

That’s the nice thing about high water, you know a period of good flows is shortly coming. With low water, you’re waiting on the rain to come.

Oh, I know. But I like to catch trout everyday. I like it when there is always at least one stream with good fishable levels around.

I just came off of Penns. Swift Run would be fishable for sure. Penns can still be fished but the fish seemed to shut down when it got to 700 or 800 cfs and increasingly stained. There was a reasonable streamer bite until around 11.

I live close to the Pie Shoppe and yes, their pepperoni rolls are legitimate. The place is a pastry gold mine.

I live close to the Pie Shoppe and yes, their pepperoni rolls are legitimate. The place is a pastry gold mine.

I should have bought some donuts too. They looked awesome.

Current small mountain streams in my area are borderline. I stopped by West Licking Creek (out of convenience, I kind of hate that stream) and found some ugly stockie browns, one brookie, and water conditions just fishable.
PXL 20230430 202528926
PXL 20230430 195837716
PXL 20230430 195819539
PXL 20230430 203620655

My hopes have been dashed. NC Pa didn't get much rain at all, while other areas got hammered. Maybe next time.

My hopes have been dashed. NC Pa didn't get much rain at all, while other areas got hammered. Maybe next time.
Looks like Tioga did but not Potter.

Back