Lehigh river

Sorry to hear another victim of the Lehigh.
I was just wading near there last week, solo too.

I never fished it ,but have been gathering Intel for a while.
Was thinking of fishing it this week;fishing alone.But these reprots have spooked me a bit.May reconsider

Just watch the gages and use common sense. Studded felt/rubber soled boots and a staff are a MUST.

The Lehigh is chock full of grease covered cannon balls! +1 for studs. Wade carefully!

I think the Lehigh is the most difficult river I've ever waded.

I waded across the entire thing once without waders or anything. The cfs was maybe 200?ish. I had lost a flask while kayaking(nothing wrong with a little nip of crown while shooting the rapids) and thought I could go back at low water and retrieve it. Yea no such luck, I was chest deep and actually had to swim to make it back across to the bike trail side. Maybe half way between rockport and glen onoko. Scariest wading experience of my life and I wasn't even carrying anything.

No this is definitely not a braggart or hero story. Just a heads up to those that have never been there. Even if the cfs is low it's still a big nasty river.

Anybody happens to be snorkeling up there, it's a silver flask engraved with "slainte" and was dropped right by that big stone bridge foundation if you're familiar haha.

That flask is probably in the delaware bay by now!

I know the big stone bridge foundation. I will be looking for silver this summer!

It's still about half full of crown so there's a little more incentive ha. Don't know about the delaware, it sunk like a stone in a real boulder chocked section. I'm seriously thinking about taking a snorkel and mask with me on all my kayaking trips this summer so maybe the river gods will smile upon me. I once found a leatherman I dropped in the drink on a swim, that was two weeks after it went in. That was a leatherman though and a much smaller waterway than the kneehigh.

I had a friend that headed downstream one day a couple years ago, he tried to cross near the Mud Run confluence. He got about 1/2 across and got his feet tangled up in old railroad scrap. He was lucky to get out.

There was a terrible train accident right in that area 100 or so years ago.

There is still the frame of one of the boxcars down at the waters edge. Don't know if it's the accident you're talking about but I doubt it was a common thing for trains to derail and fall in the river, maybe it was who knows. It's right on a river bend and at the right cfs level it is definitely something you wanna avoid while kayaking down there I know that.

Went fishing over the past couple weeks and I'll I'm catching is bass lol I'll keep trying it is still fun

Rob98 wrote:
Went fishing over the past couple weeks and I'll I'm catching is bass lol I'll keep trying it is still fun

Are you fishing in the "trout" water?

Hey Rob I am glad you are getting action. The smallie fishing will be starting to heat up about now.

PhilC wrote:

Are you fishing in the "trout" water?

Where do you consider the wild trout water on the Lehigh? Most wild's I've caught are in the Gorge below Sandy and above Poho. Have you caught any wild's in the Lunkerfest locations? I have not.

He didn't say anything about wild trout. He said trout sections and yes I have caught wild trout from Treichlers up to FEW including the Lunker fest sections.

Yes. I understand. I know where the trout water is. I was curious what sections PhilC considered wild trout water based from his Lehigh experiences.

I have been around the lehigh the past few days sampling tribs to the lehigh in the gorge... I'm just curious how do you guys fish the lehigh? This is my fist time in the area, but does it get lot lower?

lycoflyfisher wrote:
I have been around the lehigh the past few days sampling tribs to the lehigh in the gorge... I'm just curious how do you guys fish the lehigh? This is my fist time in the area, but does it get lot lower?

Well of course it gets lower. Remember we just got like 3 inches of rain.

Millsertime wrote:
Yes. I understand. I know where the trout water is. I was curious what sections PhilC considered wild trout water based from his Lehigh experiences.

He will tell you the same thing I did. There are enough springs up and down the river where fish will flock to and survive. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you caught wild trout all the way down to Bethlehem. There are enough class A tribs entering up and down the whole river.

Back