Lehigh river

If you are comfortable in a kayak then sure you should bring your stuff. I float the Lehigh all the time in my toon and do the same thing.

Is there any way to find out when the water out of the dam will get dialed back or is it just wait and see? Seems to be blown out pretty hard for the time being

Was there today, water is still high. Caddis were coming off pretty heavy only saw two rises though. Some stoneflies as well and a couple mayflies that i couldn't identify.
Pasking I would bring your rod it cant hurt.

http://www.nap-wc.usace.army.mil/nap_plots/WALTR.jpg

You can check that site and it gives you and idea of what it's going to be when they're matching releases with inflow

There's also a FEW Facebook page that will give periodic forecasts and usually an update for the weekend. These upcoming weekends are fishing releases (I think) and it will be at 400 on Saturday and sunday

The Lehigh is a changeable place. Like any big waterway, you need to put your time in and expect some fishless days. One day you'll catch twenty holdover/wild trout and ten smallies and two days later not see a rise or feel a tug. Find the bugs( hint riffles), and you'll find the fish. Go Fish.

Sunday only is a "angling" release day. Saturday is a WW release at 800 CFS.

Facebook - Francis E. Walter Dam - Pretty good up to date info.

Sounds like theres not much hope of fishing there before sunday, still rollin at 3K right now

I'll have to get my wife to friend FEW on facebook, i dont have account

timmyt wrote:
Sounds like theres not much hope of fishing there before sunday, still rollin at 3K right now

What gage are you looking at? It's around 750 at the dam and 2k at Lehighton.
Sunday should fish with the release

I saw 3k at Walnutport. Those are the only 3 guages right? Dam, Lehighton, walnutport. I wasnt planning on going real far north so i looked at walnutport...any advice on guage interpretation is appreciated. I'm sure there are many tribs that affect the flows in ways i'm not aware of from place to place

Dam Son, I ain't all that bad. Just cause I got stuck in the middle of Penns the other year....... OK, you bailed Dad out, OK..
If it hadn't been for that stinkin trib, I wouldn't have needed bailing out. Smart kids - what are ya supposed to do ?? Mike

captaint wrote:
Dam Son, I ain't all that bad. Just cause I got stuck in the middle of Penns the other year....... OK, you bailed Dad out, OK..
If it hadn't been for that stinkin trib, I wouldn't have needed bailing out. Smart kids - what are ya supposed to do ?? Mike

LMAO!

Getting called out by Pops. Priceless

Kid and old man...If you are available to fish early next week or possibly next weekend a day hit me up. I might be able to meet up and show you around or at least point you in the right direction.

timmyt wrote:
I saw 3k at Walnutport. Those are the only 3 guages right? Dam, Lehighton, walnutport. I wasnt planning on going real far north so i looked at walnutport...any advice on guage interpretation is appreciated. I'm sure there are many tribs that affect the flows in ways i'm not aware of from place to place

Walnutport and Lehighton are only like 10 minutes away from each other. Lol

Yeah, ask timmyt who stuck a fly rod in his hand. That's right. I said come on, son. We're going to the Tulpehocken. You know what you're doing dad ?? Nope. We've got a lot to learn, so we better get started learning it.
Ain't it great fishing with your kids ?? Lilfe's good..... Mike

We've STILL got a lot to learn!

SBecker, that would be awesome. Keep me posted about early this week, i could bag a day of work perhaps...

Good fishing on Saturday on the Lehigh River. All on wet flies. This was down in the Walnutport area. The water is clear, and the river is in great shape. Can't beat catching trout with flows at 2,400+cfs.

This week it should really turn on due to the fact that the sulphurs should start. There were none yesterday and based on prior years, they should start any day and provide reliable evening hatches well into June.

That's two in as many weeks, holy toledo. Do not walk into the Lehigh carelessly, do not lift your foot unless the other is firmly planted, you will go down.Try not to wade walking directly downstream with the water pushing the backs of you legs. I fish alone but that should probably be the exception not the rule, I rarely go past my mid thigh and generally fish lower flows.

Very unfortunate. The water level was a bit on the high side for wading, especially in that area he was fishing.

Back