Kelly Galloup on $1000 rods

In regard to the Orvis Encounter, it's a cheapo rod from a company trying to sell you $1000 rods....

Focus on TFO, Echo, Redington and you'll find the hits to far outnumber the misses.

Also, fwiw, I HAVE fished a lot of higher end Orvis, Scott, Winston, and Sage models and have found as many rods I don't like as I have with cheaper brands but.....

....in general FFers worry way to much about their rods. Just grab a rod, learn to cast well, and go spend as much time as you can on the water.

I second the reverse snobbery, and it seems to be the most prevalent in fly fishing.

If you show up to a car meet in a Carrera GT most people will give you high praise or like me be straight up stunned. Show up a the gun range with a Colt Delta Elite (10mm 1911) some old head will tell you how sweet the gun is. Show up at at the creek with an ARI T Hart F2 strapped to a SAGE Little ONE and people tell you there are better ways to spend your money. I really don't get it considering the higher echelons of cars and guns are drastically more expensive than any piece of fly gear could ever hope to be, though the fly gear is "snobbish" when it's more expensive and it seems taboo now to want high end fly gear. Peace, I'm out
I have no problem dropping 2500 on a rod but would throw up over spending that on a watch. I think we all have a thing or two we justify spending our money on, my only real high end purchases are rods I don't even spend any real money in clothes. I support big tech and wear jeans to work.

Reverse snobbery is when people boast in owning cheap rods and take dumps on those who dare to buy an expensive one. I see it quite a bit-and I say this as someone who does 90% of his fishing w/ a $70 rod.
Luckily I don't know anyone who would actually do this. Like I said in my other post I don't see this in real life, but it is pretty prevent online for sure. I would also bet that a pretty good percentage of people who talk that kind of smack online don't actually fish.

It's not $1000 rod that's crazy it's the fly line that is >$100 they make for much less...

Reverse snobbery is when people boast in owning cheap rods and take dumps on those who dare to buy an expensive one. I see it quite a bit-and I say this as someone who does 90% of his fishing w/ a $70 rod.
Right..... That is reverse snobbery. But I don't believe anyone has "taken a dump" on anyone's rod choice or insulted someone for buying expensive rods, at least not on this thread.

I thought we all agreed, fish what you want and enjoy what you want. I thought we were just all agreeing there are some good value rods out there that are enjoyable to fish and that's all..

I have no problem dropping 2500 on a rod but would throw up over spending that on a watch. I think we all have a thing or two we justify spending our money on, my only real high end purchases are rods I don't even spend any real money in clothes. I support big tech and wear jeans to work.

$2500 for a watch is chump change amongst folks I know who are into watches... ;)

Sooooo, the reason I can't cast the Orvis Encounter my wife gave me 2 years ago to get me interested in fly fishing isn't that I am bad at casting, it is because the rod is awful? I may not tell her that.

For my part, it's not reverse snobbery.
To each his own.

I've just always been a practical person.
If I'm happy with something that costs $, then I don't need to spend $$, or $$$ for something that does basically the same thing.
Just to say that I've got the best.....

Speaking of watches;
When my father-in-law passed away, I inherited his Rolex

Kinda nice to have for awhile I guess.
But I was afraid to wear it anywhere

I'm a blue collar type of guy - always working on things with my hands - afraid to scratch or damage it.
And certainly wouldn't wear it fishing - even though it's supposedly waterproof.
So only wore it a for "going out" to special occasions.
But it was a self winding watch. And I had to reset the time and date on it.
Then shake my fist for a while to wind it - every time I wore it

It ended up sitting in my nightstand for about 10 years, hardly ever used.
Finally, I told my wife to sell it.

What do I wear?
A $60 dollar "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" Timex

Last edited:
Hey, different strokes for different folks. For the most part in PA, trout fishing is on small to medium sized creeks which can be done with just about any old rod from 2wt - 6wt. Even for bass on the Susky which is up to a mile wide, a $50 rod will put fish in the net. Yeah, a high end rod may weigh 1/64th of an ounce less, be "intuitive" or possess lightning fast tip recovery. Do you NEED it? Nah. The craftsmanship is typically better and the cork is often much better.

Does the price tag guarantee you performance or bigger fish? Nope. I've seen a guy using a sweet grass bamboo on the Susky for bass... probably a $1500+ rod. Handed him a $150 graphite rod and he tossed it further, more accurate and with less effort. Keeping the Susky as the example, if you are casting to a deeper hole 25' in front of you and notice a half dozen bass chasing bait 60' away by the weed bed, the higher end rod might allow you to pick up a longer line and fire off the long cast in an instant allowing you to get that big bass. You can also realize that you can't reach them with your lower end rod before they speed off and just sit to enjoy nature doing it's thing.

I have rods ranging from $75 to just shy of $1000. Each has it's purpose. I think the low/middle price rods are probably more fun to cast but the higher performance rods have their place and definitely can do what the cheaper models can't.

I was going to bring up watches earlier. They make expensive fly rods seem like pocket change.

In defense of watches, they tend to hold or increase their value. Fly rods? Not so much. An Orvis ZG was $775 new in 2008 ($1,057.82 adjusted for inflation). You can buy one now for around $450. A Rolex Daytona was $10,000 in 2008 ($14,010.81 adjusted for inflation). That Daytona is worth around $30,000 in today's money.

I was going to bring up watches earlier. They make expensive fly rods seem like pocket change.

In defense of watches, they tend to hold or increase their value. Fly rods? Not so much. An Orvis ZG was $775 new in 2008 ($1,057.82 adjusted for inflation). You can buy one now for around $450. A Rolex Daytona was $10,000 in 2008 ($14,010.81 adjusted for inflation). That Daytona is worth around $30,000 in today's money.
They do for sure.
My wife sold that Rolex for almost 3x its initial cost, in the '80's

And what's ironic is, my $50 Timex watch keeps time just as well as a $10,000 Rolex. :)

The Casio on my wrist only cost around $25 AND I bought it Wal-Mart!!

The good news for me is the watches I lust for are a bit out of my price range. They come from Richard Mille and cost around $345,000 - $2,600,000.

I hear they are more accurate than my Casio but my wife says I still can't have one. ;)

The Casio on my wrist only cost around $25 AND I bought it Wal-Mart!!

The good news for me is the watches I lust for are a bit out of my price range. They come from Richard Mille and cost around $345,000 - $2,600,000.

I hear they are more accurate than my Casio but my wife says I still can't have one. ;)
Yeah, not a fan of RM. I like legible dials. Everybody talks about Rolex as if they're the pinnacle of watches. They're mid tier but they have better brand recognition.

Something I haven't seen anyone bring up about Galloup's video is; isn't he loosely/directly affiliated with TFO? This whole "$1,000 rods are BS" stunt reeks of a promotional piece for TFO IMO.

About 15 years ago, I was deciding on hobbies and golf was in the mix. I had an average driver that I could hit well 1 out of 5 drives. I took lessons one afternoon and the instructor was giving me lessons and I mentioned his nice clubs. He took my average driver and choked down mid shaft or lower and didn't even properly line up. He hit the ball off the tee 200 + yards straight as an arrow. Expensive clubs/rods don't make the golfer/FFer.

I just got back from Grand Isle Louisiana and there was this 90 year old woman dragging reds to the shore with a piece of crap cane pole. She didn't have a pot to pi$s in but she had dinner and then some.

About 15 years ago, I was deciding on hobbies and golf was in the mix. I had an average driver that I could hit well 1 out of 5 drives. I took lessons one afternoon and the instructor was giving me lessons and I mentioned his nice clubs. He took my average driver and choked down mid shaft or lower and didn't even properly line up. He hit the ball off the tee 200 + yards straight as an arrow. Expensive clubs/rods don't make the golfer/FFer...

I really don't think people who buy expensive fishing rods do so because they think it will make them a better angler. I believe they do so because they like the fit, finish and performance of the better stuff.

I do however believe that people who DON'T buy expensive gear DO believe that people who buy expensive gear have that belief, if for no other reason so they can say...

"I'll outfish that sport with my $30 Eagle Claw rod every day of the week..." ;)

Last edited:
Keeping the Susky as the example, if you are casting to a deeper hole 25' in front of you and notice a half dozen bass chasing bait 60' away by the weed bed,
That's when I grab my $40 Berkley Lightning rod with $50 Shimano reel with $6 Trilene and cast my $5 Rapala right into the mix.....

Back