Kelly Galloup on $1000 rods

I really don't think people who buy expensive fishing rods do so because they think it will make them a better angler. I believe they do so because they like the fit, finish and performance of the better stuff.

I do however believe that people who DON'T buy expensive gear DO believe that people who buy expensive gear have that belief, if for not other reason so they can say...

"I'll outfish that sport with my $30 Eagle Claw rod every day of the week..." ;)
I'll agree with your 2nd paragraph but only partially with your first paragraph. I'll assume you've never been out west and witnessed some guy dressed in all brand new top of the line waders/shirts/vest/rod/reel. He's got a few thousand dollars on his body but he can't cast 30'. He buys these expensive things so he looks the look but he can't come close to backing it up. In his mind, he's thinking if I buy that expensive rod; I'll finally be able to cast better. Use a camera as another example...People buy expensive cameras thinking their pictures will be more like a professional but then they realize their pictures are not any better because they are still shooting in Auto and haven't spent the time to learn to shoot Manual...And not to mention editing.

Another example but this time in agreement with your 1st paragraph...I have quality Milwaukee tools and Stihl chainsaws. These cost more but I enjoy the "fit, finish and performance of the better stuff".

I do a sort of reverse snobbery, but like Kelly G I don't diss the expensive rods - they are nice rods. Sometimes I get my old 60's blue Conolon rod with the tackiest wraps ever and an automatic reel and fish next to my bamboo nut friends. However, I do it more in a lighthearted way and do love some of these nice cane rods.

Back in Illinois read a story about a guy who went fishing and parked next to a beat-up old pickup and a giant Mercedes. Got to the stream and saw one guy flycasting with a high end bamboo rod and the other bait fishing with beat up old spinning tackle. When he got back to the lot he saw the bamboo guy go to the pick up - he was a construction guy who appreciated the fine craftsmanship of fine cane. The other guy was an executive that just wanted to chill and go back to his roots. Point was preconceived notions of fishermen can be wrong. Do what feels good to you.

I’m a little late to the game and you guys seemed to have covered most of this. I have around 15 - 18 fly rods that I accumulated over about 50 years. I have only bought 3 brand new rods in my lifetime and never spent more than $225 on one.

When I’ve needed a specialized rod for a new adventure, let’s say salmon, I’ve found very suitable rods in the last 4 years on eBay ranging from $85 to $130. I’ve bought St Croix or TFO. You might need to look in the off-season when other folks are off playing golf and are not engaged in buying fly rods. Summertime tends to pull eyes away from online auctions.

I’m a big fan of my used rods. You just need to exercise patience when a rod brand shows up on eBay in the length and weight that you want. Make sure they have good photos of the full length of the rod and I also really scrutinize the grips. Most of these rods have been lightly used and someone just seems content dumping them.

Many I’ve bought were never used and were part of an estate sale when a friend of the deceased rod owner was helping the widow move them. Someone will probably be helping my wife do that some day.

The same is true with fly reels. To me, fly reels for eastern trout have no real purpose. I never fight a PA trout off the reel. I strip them in. I buy cheap reels. That changes for Lake Run fish where a fabulous drag system is a must. You can find a nice reel on eBay if you hone in on a reliable brand with a great drag system and take time to scrutinize the photos.

I’ve been very satisfied with this approach and the product I’ve received. You tech savvy youngsters will definitely find some deals.

And it is always skill over equipment in results. I used to work near the old fly fishing only section of the Musconetcong in Hackettstown, NJ. I used to joke (and this was 30+ years ago) that one needed $2000 of equipment to fish there and it was the home of many fly snobs. (ie. once I made a rod with ring guides and got into a huge argument about whether a fly needed snake guides to be a fly rod). However, the best fisherman was a local teenage boy who knew every fish by name and had the simplest of tackle. He commonly waited at good spots for the person there to leave (usually after a skunking), asked the person if he minded taking the spot and proceeded to catch fish after fish. Some guys were pretty upset by this, others just laughed.

That said, I do appreciate good tackle.

And it is always skill over equipment in results. I used to work near the old fly fishing only section of the Musconetcong in Hackettstown, NJ...

Two funny stories about that stretch...

Many moons ago I was killing them there fishing a Leonard Wright caddis, skittered like Len advocated, coincidentally on a Leonard bamboo rod. :) After about 4 or 5 fish the always classy fly fishermen started crowding me like bait fishermen on opening day.

So I stormed out of the pool and called the entire group of them out, challenging them to a fist fight. Nobody took me up on the offer and they gave back my spot and plenty of room. ;)

Another time I was fishing downstream behind a house where some folks were having a BBQ. The host walked up to me and offered me a hot dog and I accepted which was pretty cool!!

The only other time I was given something while fishing that I could consume was up on Hammersly Fork when a guy camping nearby saw me standing in the middle of a deep pool and offered me a cold beer. I wader over and readily accepted!!

I was wondering...

...I own quite a few rods that WERE top line rods when I bought them but that was a long time ago.

Even if I could get what I paid for them back then, they still would be worth less than half the cost of the rods that upset Kelly Giddyup...

Does this count... ;)

I really don't think people who buy expensive fishing rods do so because they think it will make them a better angler. I believe they do so because they like the fit, finish and performance of the better stuff.

I do however believe that people who DON'T buy expensive gear DO believe that people who buy expensive gear have that belief, if for no other reason so they can say...

"I'll outfish that sport with my $30 Eagle Claw rod every day of the week..." ;)
I think one of the primary reasons (aside from appearances) is to support American companies and American manufacturing.

TO:JeffK...That sounds like your talking about my now 12yr old. I started him out fly fishing at 7 yrs young he was tying all the fancy knots at 9 yrs young and catching lots of fish too. Bought him a clicker counter when he was 10, he caught 526 that year and 607 last year. He will be well known I believe someday with his passion for the sport. When he graduates I am going to send him with a well known PRO FF to learn from him.

I keep a $1050 rod as a backup for my better slightly cheaper model... ;p

I am finding the reverse discrimination thing fascinating! I didn't realize you could feel bad about having a 1000 dollar rod in your hand or that some cheapskate (or someone actually low on funds) could make anyone feel bad about their nice things. I will be more sensitive about making fun of Range Rovers with stocker lockers full of pricey stuff. Poor guys! :)

I am with jfigz and others above in that I was just agreeing that expensive is not the only mark of good or quality. Use what you like. I think the gear guys are equally guilty of thinking someone is jealous of their choices and that no one could actually be content with what they've got. So it goes both ways.

I also like the point about the used market. Gear guys tend to part with stuff every couple of years. Most of my nice stuff was from the used market.

As far as this being isolated to fly fishing. Nope. There are the surf guys who swear by their 704 greenies and honey Lamis and feel a certain way about your Van Staal and custom GSB. And those Range Rovers on IBSP and Montauk....

Last edited:
That's when I grab my $40 Berkley Lightning rod with $50 Shimano reel with $6 Trilene and cast my $5 Rapala right into the mix.....

Where are you getting rapalas for $5 ??
Thought they were $9.99 and up.

As someone else mentioned.... I do honestly believe that a small percentage of people think spending $1,000 on a rod WILL make them a better fisherman. Based on human nature and modern society, it's more likely the $1,000 rod is more of a status symbol. Give your wife a $20 purse from Kohl's and ask her if she'd rather keep it or trade it for a new birkin bag.

Last edited:
Where are you getting rapalas for $5 ??
Thought they were $9.99 and up.
Rapalas are crazy these days 9.99 is for your 3” black/white original floater. 5” I believe is like $12. There used to be a 5 piece set when I was a kid that came with OF, countdown, husky jerk, skitter pop, and shad rap. I’d have to refinance my house and put that sucker on layaway at walmart nowadays.

Gotta fish those things with 40lb test and and a chain saw so you can cut down 100 year old tree if it get caught to high up. (Just kidding obviously).

I love my $75 max catch 7.5 ft 2 wt noodle of a glass rod. Also love my expensive ones(500 and under).

I used (still do) a Hardy Zenith for about 14 years, The rod has a lot of miles on it and retailed for 600.00 at that time. Hardy changed only the reel seat and the rod went on closeout for 400.00. Great rod. Just a year ago I have been hearing great things about the the NZ company Epic. Being designed by Carl McNeil I decided to make as good informed purchase as possible, Epic had a sale on their Reference model which is their "plain Jane" model (one color wraps, black Alps reel seat). The rod listed for 700.00 but was 20% off, no tax and free shipping. I did have to pay a international transfer fee on my credit card which was about 12.00. The rod cost 572.00 and came to my door in 9 days. I have cast many of these 1000.00 dollar rods and they really are excellent. The Asquith is pushing 1200.00 and is a super rod.

The 9ft 5wt Epic is every bit as good as anything I have cast and better than most. The rod has one color translucent wraps, simple black reel seat that locks the reel like a vice and some of the cleanest cork I have seen.

Late last summer Epic raised the price to 900.00. However Epic gets antsy and runs sales periodically and I believe you can get that rod for less than 700.00. Who knows maybe cheaper ... Epic bounces prices around.
I heard they just had a 250.00 off sale with free ship.

Epic does not have a big following in the US but if they did have more exposure I believe they would rattle Sage, Winston, Loomis and others.

Another good rod company is Taylor Fly Fishing. I cast several of their rods at Edison and they were excellent. Prices top out at 699.00 but Taylor has sales at times and the rods can be bought for about 560.00. Their entry level rods starting at 199.00 are quite good also.

Last edited:
I would own one of the top of the line Orvis rods in a 4 or 5 wt. if I didn't already have a rod I am happy with(Probably was about a 700 dollar rod when new). I tried one out last summer and it was a great rod. I still might have one at some point.

I miss the nice nickle silver reel seats of yore; My 18 year old sage xp still works great for me along with my 20 year old winston.
Prices for fly rods were and have been 2x a week of pay.

Something I haven't seen anyone bring up about Galloup's video is; isn't he loosely/directly affiliated with TFO? This whole "$1,000 rods are BS" stunt reeks of a promotional piece for TFO IMO.
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. He isn't even saying that high end rods are not better quality than mid tier rods, he is saying the reason they cost so much is bullshit.
On top of that this is based off of a previous video he made about an Echo rod, not TFO.

Yes Kelly is a business man, but I don't think anyone would accuse him of being fake for a profit.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. He isn't even saying that high end rods are not better quality than mid tier rods, he is saying the reason they cost so much is bullshit.
On top of that this is based off of a previous video he made about an Echo rod, not TFO.

Yes Kelly is a business man, but I don't think anyone would accuse him of being fake for a profit.
The title of the youtube video is "Kelly Galloup's Take on $1000 Fly Rods (are they BS?)." His words (or whoever wrote the title of the youtube video), not mine. The guy has his own branded TFO rod, and he's spouting off about how $1,000 rods are "BS." I don't think it's out of line to point out that he's affiliated with a mid-tier rod manufacturer.

I wet wade 99% of the time so I haven't spent money on waders in a L - O - N - G time, my wading shoes cost around $100 when I bought them almost 10 years ago, I don't do the spare spool thing and I have 20 year old fly lines...

...which leaves me with more money for high end rods and good steaks. ;)
Holy cow, 99% wet wading. I would freeze my butt off. I went steelheading on Feb 8 and the water started the day at 32 degrees and ended up at 36. In the hole I caught my fish I was up to my crotch for an hour straight. The water has been a little warmer since then but only by 2-6 degrees

Even in warm weather I tend to wear my neoprene’s into mid June since I hate getting holes in my lightweight waders. I tolerate sweat more than holes in my waders.

I give you lots of credit for gutting it out.

Back