Kelly Galloup on $1000 rods

The Taylor Dynamix did not come in time for last weekends trip. Man I hate Fed-Ex. lol. But we made do ok.

It did come in this week. I test casted it in the back yard, and I like it very much. It has pretty much exactly the feel I like.

That's weird because I have had no issues with Fed-Ex. Now UPS on the other hand... Glad you got the rod in though. I think you made a fine decision with that rod and I hope that you and your girlfriend get enjoyment out of it.

Explain to me how you snapped a rod towards the hilt and how you lost a reel. I think the takeaway from this post is gross user error.
The rod snapped from regular casting motion. No misuse. As I said, it was 27 years old. I had a second one of same age but of inferior quality also snap on me. I attributed it to material aging. The reel I lost. Set on the bumper of my truck when I took it off the reel seat, and just forgot to put it in my reel bag. It was gone when I went back to retrieve it later. Surely operator error there. The lesson was that I lost an expensive reel that was essentially performing the same function as a less expensive (trout) reel.

Ok. It just seems weird to me that a rod would break towards the hilt, but I'll take your word. I was unaware that a fly rod would experience material aging. I thought rods could last a lifetime if taken care of properly. I didn't think fly rods suffered material degradation. Again, I will take your word on it.

That's unfortunate about the reel. Someone definitely picked that up. Now that I recall I did drive away with a reel on top of my car. It fell off as I drove away and when I drove back to pick it up I got to witness a huge SUV run it over and spit it out across the road. Luckily it was just a cheap Okuma reel. It was cast reel made of pot metal so it actually cracked, which I found funny. It was a gift from my late grandfather for my sister that I jacked from my dad's basement so the only thing really lost was sentimental value. My sister never picked up fly fishing sadly, I'm the only one currently doing it in my family. I also lost a G. Loomis/ Shimano Stradic combo ($475 retail) in a pond because I set if off the back end of my kayak. My El Cheapo combo Walmart brand combo that was gifted to me by my sister for helping her move was being fished when this happened. I've also lost a pair of custom Abel Nippers (Hay Creek if anyone is interested, I doubt they would have moved far from where I think I lost them) as well as 2 pairs of Costa sunglasses and a pair of Maui Jims that I paid way too much for.

So it would appear I am more clumsy and I retract my harsh criticism.

It seems Karma has gotten back at me. A few days ago while conducting my nightly lawn casting I dropped my Lamson Guru on some stone tiles while try to attach it to a rod. Reel has a noticeable dent, but I don't think it effects the reel. The dent is actually on the reel frame so I can't make it go away by swapping spools. I did learn that my Hatch and Abel reels take falls better than a Lamson. I now realize why Lamson reels are so light. They have less metal than say a Abel or Hatch. Although I appreciate the the lightness of the Lamson I certainly favor the durability of my Hatch and Abel reels. There's not an unscratched spot on my Hatch 4. I also suspect the metal composition in of itself is better in the higher end reels. Just my thoughts.

e higher end reels but don't know enough about metallurgy to say that it is for a fact, just m

graphite does not degrade but the resin that holds the fibers together will.

How long does it take those resins to degrade and if they do, is it a natural degradation because...

I own and fish a 43 year old graphite rod and know more than few folks fishing with graphite sticks celebrating their 50th birthday this year. None are broken or degraded...

If fiberglass resins are similar, I also know more than a few folks fishing with glass rods over 70 years old with no issues...

The same degradation theories float out there about bamboo fibers and glue, yet I have a 100+ year old Thomas rod in my quiver along with a few rods 70+ years old.

IMHO - Excluding the rare TRUE manufacturing defects and damage caused by accidents unbeknownst to the user, how someone cares or doesn't care for their tackle and the overall quality of the materials used to build it is what causes failures...

...not time in the tube.

@Bamboozle, I think the cheaper rods just don't hold up. Almost like they weren't built to last.

...not time in the tube.

Unless that tube has condensation from a wet rod in it that when sealed again causes massive corrosion to the metallic rod components. I saw it happen once, d**** shame.

@Bamboozle, I think the cheaper rods just don't hold up. Almost like they weren't built to last.

That's why I said, "overall quality of the materials used to build it is what causes failures..."

However there is no guarantee a $1000 dollar rod won't break as well...

I once had a $500 Winston Retro (top dollar in its day) snap in the middle of the top section between the feet of a guide on a forward cast in the middle of a stream. Winston called the break a manufacturing defect and repaired the rod under warranty.

That being said I have never broken any other Winston rod I own and I own quite a few.

Rods fail when the resin adhesion to the fiber is lost and the rod delaminates. The likelihood of that happening is a function of the resin/primer system and how hard life has been on the rod. Plastic aging mechanisms usually involve UV light, heat and water. All my Shakespeare rods from the 1960's failed in the butt section since the resin/primer system from that era was poor and the clear resin offered no UV protection. I have a 1950 Shakespeare fiberglass Wonderod that is fine, but has mostly stayed in the tube. Early Leonard graphite rods had a bad reputation for delamination. Resin systems have come a long way over the years and I haven't had any delaminations lately, but they could happen. Plastics may not hold their strength forever.

I have seen bamboo rods delaminate. The glues of 100 year-old rods were mostly hide glues that vary all over the place and putting them away wet or leaving them in a hot attic can degrade them. Modern bamboo rods use excellent adhesives that take a lot of abuse.

Sorry @Bamboozle, should have read your posts more thoroughly.

There's a reason that as often as I can I purchase new.

I do this because I REALLY take good care of my stuff and maybe could be accused of babying it by some. However, I enjoy my stuff as much as the guy who throws his rigged rod in the trunk. ;)

I buy new because I KNOW how my tackle was cared for so any surprises are on me.

All of my rods, bamboo, fiberglass & graphite are wiped down after use and left out of their tubes along with the rod bag when I get home or back to my hotel/camp and left out overnight at minimum to dry out completely. The same goes for any reel I used. The next day they get wiped down again and go back in their tubes/cases until the next outing. I wont leave a rod rigged for any reason except walking to and from and while fishing.

No rod racks/holders for me. :)

This goes for ALL tackle I own including spinning & baitcasting tackle regardless of its value. I've been doing this since I was a kid with my first rod & reel that still look almost like new decades later.

I must be doing something right because other than a break from an acknowledged manufacturing defect, I have never experienced a rod or reel failure.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think I own a rod over 300 bucks, but I have a rod (or more) for every type of fishing I might want to do.

I understanding wanting nice stuff if you can afford it. However, if I fish 100 days a year and prefer to use my money towards that, and my buddy fishes 25 days a year with a 1700 dollar set up, I can surely out fish him with a broom handle and some twine if it's what I am holding in my hand 100 days a year....
I agree! 20 years ago two guys showed up to a stream I was fishing in a brand new Land Rover. They must’ve had $5k between the both of them in gear. They followed me the whole day cutting me off above where I was gonna go. I kept catching fish. They didn’t catch anything. Admittedly, I found it amusing. I think I was fishing a Cabela’s combo at the time for $150 and Walmart neoprene chest waders.

Back