Kayak Rant

I doubt my car would be good. Ever since I used to tote around my old John boat it started ripping my roof rack out of the top.

I was wrong about Squaretail's dogs. They are Jack Russel Terriers.

works both ways to, I flipped with my son in pine creek canyon and needed help and 2 fly fishers were 30 feet away and never offered to help us. they just kept casting while we yelled for help.

sandfly wrote:
works both ways to, I flipped with my son in pine creek canyon and needed help and 2 fly fishers were 30 feet away and never offered to help us. they just kept casting while we yelled for help.

They were probably on a heater. And you never walk away from the fish when you're on a heater.

I have been away a fair amount in the past couple weeks and haven't had time to read all threads. But I have a question.

Did anyone answer the question on how Squaretail is doing? He's a gret guy that is missed by many on here.

As far as the OP and yaks and canoes in general, I have had a grand total of just one bad experience from canoeists and it was 37 years ago on the Clarion River. I got over it, and probably much quicker than the canoeists did. ;-)

I wish I could give you an update on Squaretail. Like I posted previously, he and are cyber friends from this website and also WvAngler.com

I've been on fly fishing trips with him to both Spring Creek and Big Fishing Creek in PA staying at his cousin's camp in Centre County, and we also rented a cabin at the Elk Springs Resort in Monterville, WV.

He is a great guy and a very good fly fisherman. He is much better than I am. I have lost contact with him. At the time of these fishing trips, he was living in Harrisburg, and his roommate was Jeff, who also is a great guy and talented fly fisherman.

I grew up in Camp Hill, which is close to Harrisburg. I lived in the borough of Camp Hill from grade 5 until I graduated from high school. From grade 1 until we moved to Camp Hill I lived on Juniper Drive in Green Lane Farms, which is walking distance to the Yellow Breeches Creek.

I haven't had any contact with Squaretail in quite some time, and he hasn't posted anything on WvAngler.com in a long time either. His username there is Blue Halo.

Edit note: I know at the time he was working at Gander Mountain in Harrisburg. I think that that store was shut down, but I am not sure. If that is the case, he may have relocated. Again, I just don't know

Had a first happen to me while fishing on the Conestoga today. It was a pretty heavy yak day on the stoga so I moved above the calico where flows were much lower and I thought would be less likely to encounter floaters or kayakers. everyerthing was good until I see this guy dragging his aluminum canoe upstream. I hooked into a smallmouth and he just drug his canoe right up in front of me as I was bringing in the fish. He didn't even look up and say sorry or anything. I was completely dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that anyone would be so ignorant but I should have guessed when I fisrt saw him dragging the boat upstream . Couldn't have been more than 3ft of water at any point on the stream. I still have no idea what he was trying to accomplish.

Well, I suppose it was a nice day to take a boat for a walk.

Come visit the Yough, you can witness ignorance at its finest.

Not taking that moron's side - but Saturday my dad and I fished the Brandywine and dodged a few canoes. We were catching fish behind the canoes before the wake had subsided, fish did not care at all

Please lets discourage people from taking their families outside so you can fish in peace. Join a private fishing club is you dont like the crowds. Bet there is a rant for that as well.

Please lets discourage people from taking their families outside so you can fish in peace. Join a private fishing club is you dont like the crowds. Bet there is a rant for that as well.

When this thread original appeared I thought the same thing as you. I don't have a problem with kayaks, floaters or boaters. It just struck me odd that a guy would drag a canoe UPSTREAM in less than a foot of water on top of my line as I was bringing in a fish. I could have reached out and touched the guy. It just didn't make sense but I'm over it now.

If I choose to fish an area that is popular for this type of activity I usually don't have any issues or problems with people or catching fish. I don't mind sharing the stream or river at all but this guy did what he did on purpose.

HopBack where above the cailico were you you fishing? Plus welcome to fishing the Conestoga where having a canoe or yak puts you in the right.

HopBack where above the cailico were you you fishing? Plus welcome to fishing the Conestoga where having a canoe or yak puts you in the right.

Brian- I was fishing off of turtle hill Rd. Pretty skinny and shallow water but I was able to get into a few. Ton of YOY bass. I usually fish the stoga much lower and I see a fair amount of kayak traffic. Most people are very polite...just more curious than anything.

Somewhere, there's a kayak forum with the thread "fly fishing a-holes". They complain about how that fancy casting takes up so much space and how anglers keep letting their fish swim under the passing watercraft. Lol

Ta Da!
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/fly-fisherman-vs-kayakers-boaters-36696.html

I knew it. Too funny.

Now we just need the guy complaining about yakers and fly fisherman destroying his dogs fetching/swimming fun.

I thought the general forum was getting a little bit stale so I threw out this live grenade in hopes of stirring things up a bit. :)

Bruno wrote:
Please lets discourage people from taking their families outside so you can fish in peace.

Finally someone is talking sense in this thread!!!!!

Back