Kayak Rant

Swattie, that fisherman pays a license fee, so they are rightfully entitled.

SteveG - The kayaker will argue they had to pay for a yearly launch permit and thus they are rightfully entitled. Same argument can again be made on both sides.

Again, realistically, I would argue both are equally "entitled" (to use the PAFF buzzword) to be there enjoying their recreation on the water. Both SHOULD be as courteous as reasonably possible to the other when encountering one another. Probably doesn't always happen as noted in this thread, but my guess is the angler isn't always 100% in the right either.

Wait a second, there's "yak forums". Troll time

Hey, we all have to share the water with other anglers, boaters, yakkers, whatever.

It all comes down to common courtesy...from both sides.

Most floaters do the best they can not to disturb your fishing.

Some are just clueless and/or skill-less and may mess up your fishing by accident.

A very small number are intent on messing with you.

So be it.

But be real! The fish are accustomed to floaters and most times resume their normal behavior quickly.

So don't let it bother you much.

Have a good time.

to floaters and most times resume their normal behavior quickly.

The other year I was fishing the Lackawanna and was having a very good day. Fish were taking caddis and it was off the charts. In front of me, under a bridge and between 2 tires was a 25" brown rising to caddis. I got a few casts in with a few refusals and then 3 yaks came down stream. I was hurrying to hook the fish before they got to me. They saw me casting and purposely swung over to the spot and stalled to marvel at the fish. The fish was darting around the large hole in the river.
I was pissed, put me rod down and just glared at them. I mean was that really necessary? They waved , obviously clueless, and continued downstream. I just sat there, opened up my lunch and started to eat. Within 5 minutes that fish was back between the tires taking caddis again. I hurried lunch and nailed that fish.

A lot of truth in what you say and a lot of wasted energy on my part that day.

The shared use of our public lands and waters can be a pain sometimes, but I guess you just have to hope the sharing is done in a courteous manner. I've had some days on game lands during archery season where hikers with their dogs come walking by, their dogs spot me and the hikers wave. Nothing you can do other than take a deep breath and try to remain positive.

Cluelessness doesn't bother me. It's when some drunk moron is shouting and carrying on that does.

pocket, your license dollars pay for the gamelands you hunt. during hunting season you are entitled to hunt them unencumbered. I don't know when or how it became acceptable to walk your dog in gamelands during hunting season. the game commission should do a better job regulating nonhunters accessing these areas during hunting season. i try to stay off clarks creek on saturdays in the fall out of respect for those trying to hunt. in my current agitated state, i would have had a few words to those who spoiled my hunt.

That's what cell phone are for (if they work)...

BWI is illegal in PA and there is a PFD rule for kayaks. If I see a bunch of drunks or idiots with no PFD's running my creek and pissing me off...

...I'm ratting them out to the local PFBC Law Enforcement office.

Same goes for a dog walker in a SGL, all persons in SGL's during hunting seasons are required to wear the minimum amount of blaze orange. I do when I fish!

FWIW - I have the phone numbers of all of the PFBC & PGC regional law enforcement offices programmed in my phone and have used them on more than one occasion.

F'n jerks!

And people wonder why land owners post property.....

Ron

PALongbow wrote:

Ron

Spincasters? Err...wait...Spincasters using kayaks? :p

Leaving the private land piece out of this discussion for a moment, there's one thing I don't get...

Why does anyone think that they have a right to personal, uninterrupted use of a publicly owned resource? Don't get me wrong, anyone using a public resource should follow all the rules set forth for its use...i.e...wearing the appropriate amount of blaze orange in SGL's during hunting season. But assuming the dog walker, hiker, FFer, spincaster, whatever is following all those rules, there's nothing that says they can't be there using their resource for their preferred form of enjoyment during hunting season, concurrent with hunters being there.

In all seriousness, if someone can explain the logic behind this to me, I'll gladly listen and consider it. So they messed up your hunt...how can you object to them being there (assuming they are following all prescribed rules for the SGL's use) enjoying the resource that they own the same equal share in as you? There's nothing that says you gotta be carrying a rifle or bow with a deer tag in pocket to be on SGL's during hunting season. If that's the experience you want, free of all other people, either purchase your own land to hunt, or secure permission from a private landowner to hunt on their land.

I don't think it's necessarily smart, and I personally choose to not fish (or walk a dog) in SGL's during the rifle deer season, but that's a personal choice. Mostly based in my own safety, but also to a degree, that I'm willing to fish elsewhere and give hunters the opportunity for those couple weeks to have the woods to themselves. That being said, I don't think I'm under any obligation legally or morally to do so, and I wouldn't object to anyone else making a different personal decision. Rifle deer season is not really during primo fishing times anyway, but I do regularly fish SGL's during Spring Turkey. I've bumped into a few guys during archery season along streams on public land and I've waived politely and moved about my business. No clue if I pissed them off or not, but they really have no valid line of reasoning to be pissed about.

I don't think anyone is complaining about having to share. We are complaining about the rude/ignorant/clueless people we have to share with. If everyone was more respectful of others everyone would be much happier.

Or why flyfishers are seen as entitled elitists...

Swattie87 wrote:
Leaving the private land piece out of this discussion for a moment, there's one thing I don't get...

Why does anyone think that they have a right to personal, uninterrupted use of a publicly owned resource? Don't get me wrong, anyone using a public resource should follow all the rules set forth for its use...i.e...wearing the appropriate amount of blaze orange in SGL's during hunting season. But assuming the dog walker, hiker, FFer, spincaster, whatever is following all those rules, there's nothing that says they can't be there using their resource for their preferred form of enjoyment during hunting season, concurrent with hunters being there.

In all seriousness, if someone can explain the logic behind this to me, I'll gladly listen and consider it. So they messed up your hunt...how can you object to them being there (assuming they are following all prescribed rules for the SGL's use) enjoying the resource that they own the same equal share in as you? There's nothing that says you gotta be carrying a rifle or bow with a deer tag in pocket to be on SGL's during hunting season. If that's the experience you want, free of all other people, either purchase your own land to hunt, or secure permission from a private landowner to hunt on their land.

I don't think it's necessarily smart, and I personally choose to not fish (or walk a dog) in SGL's during the rifle deer season, but that's a personal choice. Mostly based in my own safety, but also to a degree, that I'm willing to fish elsewhere and give hunters the opportunity for those couple weeks to have the woods to themselves. That being said, I don't think I'm under any obligation legally or morally to do so, and I wouldn't object to anyone else making a different personal decision. Rifle deer season is not really during primo fishing times anyway, but I do regularly fish SGL's during Spring Turkey. I've bumped into a few guys during archery season along streams on public land and I've waived politely and moved about my business. No clue if I pissed them off or not, but they really have no valid line of reasoning to be pissed about.

I agree and also disagree, you are correct in your thinking by the book. But as with almost everything in life there are some unwritten rules and guidelines that most people follow. An unwritten hierarchy of land use if you will. In order for a hunter to fully experience a good hunt it is almost vital for him/her to be un interrupted, unlike a hiker that interruptions / run ins with other people doesn't negatively effect there experience. Therefore during hunting season most folks tend to hike in different areas than in a known hunting area, as to not disturb someone else's experience.

Swattie87 wrote:

This is where I shake out. Public land is public. Sometimes you get it to yourself, sometimes you don't. In my experience, I have a lot to myself, a lot of the time.

If you can't be bothered by your fellow man, then go buy your own property and post it.

albud1962 wrote:
pocket, your license dollars pay for the gamelands you hunt. during hunting season you are entitled to hunt them unencumbered. I don't know when or how it became acceptable to walk your dog in gamelands during hunting season. the game commission should do a better job regulating nonhunters accessing these areas during hunting season. i try to stay off clarks creek on saturdays in the fall out of respect for those trying to hunt. in my current agitated state, i would have had a few words to those who spoiled my hunt.

This has been a point of contention in the state the past few years. Should people walking and mountain biking in gamelands need to purchase a license to use the lands since hunters have to. I see nothing wrong with having someone buy a 5 or 10 dollar license to use those lands for their recreation. Lots of state parks and state forests are huntable and you see people walking around there as well.

I thought there was a regulation regarding use of SGLs during hunting season.

I agree with you on that one Pocket

Back