Kayak Rant

albud1962 wrote:
I did preface this thread as a rant...

That's okay - we do rants around here from time to time. :)

I hear yuh on kayakers.

Their numbers have definitely increased and I seem to see 'em on ever smaller waterways every year. As others have said, you learn to live with it. I find morning and evening trips definitely helps. I tend to focus on bigger bass rivers in summer and boaters/tubers are easier to tolerate (and avoid) on these waters then smaller streams like Breeches.

I'm a yakker/canoe guy myself so understand the appeal from both points of view.

I spoke with a 'yaker last week on the Yough. He floated down Spruce Creek. THE Spruce Creek. Was also a member of the LJRA too. He was a good dude, even helped haul all my stuff up the take out while we BS'ed!

There are good and bad examples of every group.

And be aware, if you let yourself get upset over them, you are the only one to suffer. It matters not to them.

I find most canoers and kayakers are either clueless or aholes. Quite a few seem to think they own the water and that includes those that are fishing from there boats. Etiquette or politeness of any sort is lost on them. Most would rather run right through where your line is then simply swing around the back of you even when that is the best/easiest path for them to take. Some even glide right up to you and then start paddling like mad , splashing about with a big grin on their faces just as they pass you. Often in those groups there is one person that quietly glides by apologizing like crazy for their ***** friends and it's usually a woman doing the apologizing. Then there are the ones with rentals, without a single clue how to steer and end up sideways or spinning even in the calmest sections.

In truth though I not sure they are the worst people a fisherman will have to deal with on the water. Personally I find dog owner's even worse . Try fishing near any of the parks/public areas when some idiot (adult) comes up and starts repeatedly throwing a ball or stick directly in front of you for their unleashed fido to fetch. They have plenty of water up or down of you for fido to get his bath and exercise in but they want to be right there even though you were there first. The concept that everyone has a right to the water precludes politeness and sharing.

I'll say that my experience on the LJR, Spring creek and Lower Bald Eagle have been mostly positive. There is an outfitter on Spring creek and I get the impression they make some effort to speak to their clients about what to do. Anyway, back to the J. Boaters make up a significant portion of the LJRA. They organize a spring float clean up of the Gorge and a fall clean up. I especially want to stress they came to the LJRA to volunteer to conduct the clean up- on their own. They organized the volunteers (all boaters) and hauled a lot of trash including 55 gallon drums on their kayaks. A group of more than a dozen of them. They do it in ice waters of early April. So be careful about assuming fly fisherman are the only one concerned about the resource.

I have encountered trouble with tubers. These are typically yahoos who litter, shout and in one case conduct spousal abuse right in front of me. I clear distinguish those types from boaters.

How many fisherman thank a boater for floating behind them even when the best float was in front? I've had boaters stop ahead of a riffle and walk it around. I think that's going above and beyond and unnecessary.

I share your frustration albud. I'm ok with sharing the resource,but lately I've been getting harassed by drunks. I've been spending more time on larger water, but some drunk dbag will still float right behind you yelling. PFBC needs to start citing for public drunkenness. That'd cut down on the amount of floaters, as the only ones remaining would actually be out to enjoy nature, not take their stupidity outdoors.

moon1284 wrote:

No smoking

How on earth does one fly fish without a cigar? This must be removed :hammer:

nymphingmaniac,

99.9% of the time, I'm the guy who gets out and walks the boat behind a wade angler. The amount of times I've been thanked wouldn't fill one hand. In all honesty, the typical response is they continue to cast smacking their back cast off of you and your boat. If you announce "behind ya" they stare for a second and continue to cast. Makes it kinda hard to keep being respectful. Hell, I've even offered bottle of water or a cold beer to waders if it's a hot day out there. That usually gets a favorable response. Lol. I've been hit by a canoe while wading, shot with a water cannon by a smart azz kid as his dad laughed, had yaks do rolls right where I'm casting and run into by another boat while anchored up. Just as some are fit to have children, some aren't fit to pilot a watercraft.

I have had good experiences and bad ones. Anytime a floater goes beyond or asks where I would like him to go I make a point to tell him/her how much I appreciate it. The ones who float right through chucking empty beer bottles where I am fishing.. I just keep casting and let the cards fall where they may.

Lol I just have to laugh. Thinking about the crap I go through on the Lehigh. I have started being really obnoxious with the rafters. Gives me a good laugh. "What kind of fish are in here?" Freshwater sharks See someone with a GoPro... Make sure you turn your GoPro on, all your friends need to see you go through the class 1 rapids! Watch out for the meth heads around the bend they try to steal your oars! Watch out for the waterfall a mile down, you are going to have to portage. It is extremely dangerous! They usually don't understand me anyways as they are from India or Asian.

I don't mind yakers and floaters for the most part. Especially when they have bikini's on. Only ones I don't care for are the idiots that nearly hit you or basically act like you are in their way.

I was out last weekend on a lake in a state park. I'm clearly fishing from about 30 feet off the bank, toward the bank. A couple in kayaks starts getting close but I assume they wouldn't be ignorant enough to just plow through. Going around me would have taken about 1 minute. Nope...They not only paddle right where I'm fishing but then stop and check out/spook all the fish I'm casting too.
I guess next time I'll have to keep casting right at them so they hopefully get the message. Yeah, they will be a next time...

Think open carry would keep the more obnoxious ones from bumping into you? :roll:

Swatara Creek etiquette is if a paddler screws up your beat you toss the Fallfish that's currently attached to your fly off their noggin. That'll teach them...some of those Fallfish in that creek can go a full kilo or so. And there's always a Fallfish attached to your fly there so you've always got ammo.

Then I usually wade over like a crazy guy...similar to this, but in the creek, not on a golf course...fast forward to 1:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KFiMT3MIs

For what it's worth, sometimes people are just clueless rather than being jerks.

A lot of those people probably don't realize that fish get spooked / that they are ruining your fishing. Same often goes for pet owners / parents of kids who throw rocks.

all in all, I have had more good experiences than bad

I was fishing Lehigh in Bowmanstown and a whole gaggle of very amateur kayakers very politely passed by in the shallow water behind me, which was nice.

It's a society problem. Oblivious and entitled generation of people who you are dealing with.

Ron

Its mostly ignorance in my eyes.

The McCoy section of Spring Creek is the worst. I have seen more idiots there than anywhere else. Kayakers coming down into the run you are fishing, spin around and then paddle upstream for 5 minues (staying in place, because you know how fun it is to paddle up a run while not moving)....

I hooked a very large fish one time in that section. I know it was over 20 inches. I seen a group flotilla coming down and i asked them to go behind me as i was fighting a fish. some old goon said no, you need to move. he then came within 5 feet of me (using a 10' rod) and sliced through 20lb chameleon... I was livid... I said thanks A**hole and walked away. on the walk out, a lady in a kayak appologized for him...

Another time, another old guy (def not his first time in a kayak, the fancy kayak and pro gear told me that) decided he had the right away into a heavy run in the middle between the kwik fill and the old dam. he then proceeded to run into a buddy of mine, and then into me (we backed up almost onto the bank to give him room) so that he could take that riffle and paddle upstream for 10 minutes...

Needless to say, i have dealt with some true idiots in kayaks. but with that said, that majority are understanding and do their best to accommodate. just the idiots ruin it for me, especially when it can actually cause harm to you by them running in to you...

As an avid fly fisherman and kayaker Moon1284 I practice those steps every time I come across a fellow fisherman or just some people enjoying the sun and water.albud and shakey you forgot politicians!!!!

The main problem I see with the expansion of boating into modest sized streams is that the boaters clear the streams of large woody debris (LWD), i.e. downed trees and logjams.

And LWD is essential to streams having good pool and cover habitat. Our stream restoration efforts should be oriented towards restoring normal levels of LWD.

And for stream management you really have to make a choice between:

1) An artificially "open" stream for boating passage.

and

2) A restored stream, with a natural level of LWD, and normal stream floodplain structure and function.

The two things are not compatible on modest sized streams. You have to pick one or the other. And if you pick #1, there is a substantial impact. To trout habitat and therefore trout populations.

But also ecological impacts that go way beyond that. (Amphibian habitats, floodplain vegetation, floodplain water tables, groundwater, wetlands, etc.) It's a very big topic.

You can have a "kayak canal" or a really healthy stream. But, you have to choose.

On larger streams, for example, the West Branch Susquehanna, you don't have that issue.

The LWD would never form a blockage that would prevent easy boater passage.

LWD on a stream like that is in the form of sweepers along the margin of the stream.

PALongbow wrote:
It's a society problem. Oblivious and entitled generation of people who you are dealing with.

Ron

What about the FFers who feel entitled to boat free fishing waters on public land, or land open to the public's recreation? What about the anglers who are oblivious to being in the boaters preferred line?..."That entitled, oblivious fisherman who wouldn't take 3 steps back in between casts to let me into the head of the run."

Just sayin...The exact same arguments can be made on both sides here. We probably get ripped for being in the way on yak-ing forums. Gotta co-exist considerately and deal with it whether you're boating, or fishing. Or take up chess or internet forum ranting instead.

No white laced gloves.

Back