It's official - Bass Pro acquires Cabela's

I recently purchased from the Woolrich, PA store the iconic red/black buffalo plaid shirt to replace/supplement my 35 year old version. Dare I say the new shirt appears to be made from a better quality - more dense, thicker grade of wool, better fit as well.....lets not let nostalgia get in the way of progress. Trust me I guilty of that all the time.

The buffalo plaid shirt can still be purchased, made in America.

link

If I were in the market for a heavy wool plaid shirt, I would probably spend the extra money. But that is just me.

However, since they don't appear to offer it in tall sizes, I'd have to try one on first, so wouldn't order it online.

Based on the specs, it doesn't appear to be long enough for my liking.

FarmerDave wrote:
The buffalo plaid shirt can still be purchased, made in America.

link

If I were in the market for a heavy wool plaid shirt, I would probably spend the extra money. But that is just me.

However, since they don't appear to offer it in tall sizes, I'd have to try one on first, so wouldn't order it online.

Based on the specs, it doesn't appear to be long enough for my liking.
$195 for a shirt!! That's just plain crazy!

Yep, that's the one!!

WildTigerTrout wrote:
$195 for a shirt!! That's just plain crazy!

Well, if the alternative is buying your shorts from Omar the tent maker, it doesn't sound as bad.;-)

I sort of agree, but that one is heavy duty and just happened to pop up when I did a quick search on Woolrich made in USA. Comparing that to other shirts is like comparing Simms top of the line breathable waders to rubber hip boots.

Even comparing that to other wool shirts is like comparing top of the line breathable Simms to $99 Hodgman breathable waders. I had a pair of those and they didn't last long at all.

Doing a quick search on wool shirts made in USA, several popped up. Example. I found that in an apples to apples comparison, Woorich are comparable in price to their competators. In fact, they seem to be competitive in price to the imports.

Wool shirts are expensive.

Don't confuse them with flannel.

P.S. I do not own stock in the company. I just try to buy American where I can, but it has to make sense, too.

Wool is the best insulator when working out side in early winter(think damp and temp@34*f).
And, you cant find the same insinuative clothing at Walmart their work clothing just does not compete. I work outside and will pay the price to be warm.

My parents used to get me itchy poor fitting wool clothing for winter Boy Scout trips. Still hate the stuff. I wear synthetics.

The Hbg BP already has 7 ponds of carp in a three carp pond so i think its just rumors.

I also agree with BP quality and inventory slipping , I hope it doesn't carry over to Cab.

The whole wool vs. synthetics debate, while I'm on the synthetics side, it boils down to what system you want to use. They are not compatible with one another.

With synthetics, the entire approach is to get the water out. Wicking base layers. Mid layers that pass and don't hold water. Outer layers that breath. Having a single thing in there that actually retains water completely negates the whole system.

Wool, on the other hand, stays warm even when moist or wet. It works. But synthetics are rather useless in this system. What good does a wicking base layer do when the layer over top is wet anyway? All the base layer does is keep the itchy wool away from the skin. The need for breathable surface layers is considerably less important important as well. It's simply ok to get a little wet, whether internally from sweat or externally from the environment.

Cotton, well, it doesn't help either system. It retains water and offers no insulation when wet. But it completely ruins the synthetic based "no water" system. Cotton kills. In a wool system, though, it's not quite the devil. It's just not helpful. Unneeded bulk that serves no purpose, but doesn't really ruin the whole system like it does with synthetics.

franklin wrote:
My parents used to get me itchy poor fitting wool clothing for winter Boy Scout trips. Still hate the stuff. I wear synthetics.

It seems like, every couple years my wife buys me a pair of semi-dressy wool slacks.

And every time I tell her ... I don't like wool pants.

She said ... But this pair is flannel lined!

What part of don't like does she not understand?

Since they were custom hemmed, I didn't feel right sending them back because I simply do not like wool pants.. I wore them to work on a very cold day once. They kept me warn on the very short walk from the car to the building entrance, but way too warm to wear all day in the office.

I leave then right up front in the closet to remind her that ... I don't like wool pants.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't be a big fan of wool shirts either.

But I definitely do not like 100% [d]plastic[/d] synthetic clothes.

Blends work.

But I definitely do not like 100% plastic synthetic clothes.

So what do you wear for outdoor gear?

By synthetics, we're talking nylon and polyester, mainly. With nylon, I'm including pseudo nylons like rayon. With polyester, I'm likewise lumping in the pseudo polyesters like lycra/spandex.

If it doesn't absorb water, it's probably synthetic.

Technical underwear tend to be polyester/spandex blends. Fleece is 100% polyester. Most fishing shirts (Under Armour, Simms, Columbia, etc) are 100% nylon or 100% polyester, or some combination of those. With Gore-Tex, the main waterproof layer is PTFE and the covering is typically nylon and/or polyester, depending on that particular variety of Gore-Tex. The other fancy breathable fabrics are pretty much the same thing (that's not to say the same quality, but the materials themselves are not all that different).

Just a general comment on Cabela's. I was just about to purchase a vise from them since I got a 20 off 100 or more coupon and they are offering free shipping on their website. Apparently you cant combine the two and Cableas wants $17 to ship a fly tying vise. Needless to say, no thanks. I will be purchasing from any number of other online retailers that offer free shipping after you meet a specified order amount well below the cost of the vise. Driving the 45 minutes to the store for something like this just isnt worth it. Other than occasionally good clearance sales with free shipping I am done with cabelas as there are plenty of other good retailers out there. Heck even orvis provides free shipping on any order if you use the orvis credit card.

I understand shipping is expensive but $17 in shipping when others are selling the same item at the same price and offering free shipping doesnt make sense to me.

Personally shipping is something that I try to avoid since there is usually someone offering free shipping.

nomad_archer wrote:
Just a general comment on Cabela's. I was just about to purchase a vise from them since I got a 20 off 100 or more coupon and they are offering free shipping on their website. Apparently you cant combine the two and Cableas wants $17 to ship a fly tying vise. Needless to say, no thanks. I will be purchasing from any number of other online retailers that offer free shipping after you meet a specified order amount well below the cost of the vise. Driving the 45 minutes to the store for something like this just isnt worth it. Other than occasionally good clearance sales with free shipping I am done with cabelas as there are plenty of other good retailers out there. Heck even orvis provides free shipping on any order if you use the orvis credit card.

I understand shipping is expensive but $17 in shipping when others are selling the same item at the same price and offering free shipping doesnt make sense to me.

Personally shipping is something that I try to avoid since there is usually someone offering free shipping.

That's the beauty of capitalism and comparison shopping. Find it cheaper somewhere else? Buy it there. Free shipping isn't free - the cost is just absorbed into the overall cost of that site's goods and services (unless they are doing the shipping as a loss leader).

If you charge something on an Orvis account to get free shipping, hopefully you're paying off your credit card in full each cycle. Otherwise, you're still paying for shipping (that little compounding thing called interest).

salmonoid wrote:
nomad_archer wrote:

That's the beauty of capitalism and comparison shopping. Find it cheaper somewhere else? Buy it there. Free shipping isn't free - the cost is just absorbed into the overall cost of that site's goods and services (unless they are doing the shipping as a loss leader).

If you charge something on an Orvis account to get free shipping, hopefully you're paying off your credit card in full each cycle. Otherwise, you're still paying for shipping (that little compounding thing called interest).

Yes capitalism is great and shipping absolutely shipping isn't free. Its just a matter of where that cost comes from. It it tacked on at checkout or baked into the items cost. But when you have the same product at each store at the same price but one store wants $17 to ship and the other store has free shipping it makes it an easy decision. It just seems cabelas hasn't stayed competitive with the online shipping charges outside of using a free shipping promotion. It may just be my perspective but that is how I am seeing this from my decision to buy somewhere else.

As for credit cards, I haven't ever carried a balance since that compound interest thing and finance charges are a real killer. I just use the credit cards for cash back, or some type of meaningful benefit for me.

Cabelas shipping costs are price based, not weight based. Which means it's a price add on while still being able to advertise decent prices.

Luckily they have lots of free shipping promotions. You have to wait for them.

Told econ students, "You vote with your spending." I've decided to vote no to Cabelas/BPS. Also, no to Amazon, quality issues. Voting yes to Orvis, LLBean, Woolrich and Local Shops. Decided quality is cheaper in long run, than junk at low prices.

pcray1231 wrote:
Cabelas shipping costs are price based, not weight based. Which means it's a price add on while still being able to advertise decent prices.

Luckily they have lots of free shipping promotions. You have to wait for them.

They do have lots of free shipping promotions the rub for me in this instance was they sent me a $20 off $100 coupon and they are offering a free shipping promotion. You can only use one at a time so whichever promotion is used you basically are getting free shipping when they are charging $17 shipping. However if I was to go into a store I would end up with $20 off of the item I am purchasing. However, I am not going to drive 45 minutes one way to the store in hamburg for one item. Maybe the goal is to get me into the store I don't know.

I just wish I could combine the free shipping with the coupon. I recently used a $25 off $50 coupon online at orvis and they provided free shipping when I used my orvis credit card.

So its not like other retailers are not providing free shipping and combining with other promotions.

They do have lots of free shipping promotions the rub for me in this instance was they sent me a $20 off $100 coupon and they are offering a free shipping promotion. You can only use one at a time so whichever promotion is used you basically are getting free shipping when they are charging $17 shipping. However if I was to go into a store I would end up with $20 off of the item I am purchasing. However, I am not going to drive 45 minutes one way to the store in hamburg for one item. Maybe the goal is to get me into the store I don't know.

The goal is 2-fold.

1. Advertise the best price, even if after shipping, it ain't any better than everyone else. Many people shop on price alone and don't look that deeply into it.

2. For those that really do want the deal, they'll have to come to the store. Which is good too, cause they'll probably buy other stuff too.

Marketing tricks to get more $$$ out of customers? Say it ain't so!!!!

I like Bean, and just ordered something from them, but frankly, they are a little high priced for the quality. Your paying for that warranty. And Orvis, well, good stuff, but my God man, they are WAY overpriced.

I've got nothing to say FOR Cabelas over the other big corporate outdoor stuff. And I certainly support locally owned mom and pop fly shops, which are essentially middle men and they're the ones really getting squeezed.

But it is what it is. Companies are in the business to make money. And they all make theirs one way or the other. Whether they overprice the goods and then deliver on warranty and customer service. Or skimp on the customer service end and offer better prices. Or play it halfway and play the marketing/promotion game. You the consumer have the choice on which philosophy to choose, but whoever you choose is still making money on you.

I can agree with orvis being way way over priced. I only buy from the clearance when I have a coupon or they are running an additional 25% off the clearance price. This time I was able to combine the additional 25% off clearance, plus the $25 off $50 and free shipping. Which is a a good deal if there is $50 worth of stuff that I need in clearance. Otherwise I dont buy anything full price from orvis.

Most of my shopping is at the local TCO. My wife likes shopping at some stores in reading and its a bonus that I can get dropped off at the TCO and pick up things I really dont need. But browsing the fly shop is more fun that wandering around a tj maxx or marshalls.

In the end all business are trying to make money off of us. If they don't make money they wont be in business very long.

pcray1231 wrote:

But I definitely do not like 100% plastic synthetic clothes.

So what do you wear for outdoor gear?

Against my skin, I prefer natural fibers, like cotton. Blends in some cases, and the right wool blend would be OK.

Nylon, polyester, plastic clothing... they all suck for that purpose.

I do have a couple polyester fishing shirts, but they rub my nipples the wrong way.

You got a problem with that? :lol: :lol:

Back