It's official - Bass Pro acquires Cabela's

Actually, I visit Cabela's and BPS to see the mounts and décor!!!! When traveling, It's neat to see the regional dioramas each area provides. I LOVE the Wheeling Whitetail Word room. The hunting clothing is ****-poor. At least the Field and Stream stores carry Filson, Woolrich, Simm, etc. - named brand quality outdoor clothing. I would never think of buying my firearms from any big-box store.

On the way home I stopped at LLBean and complained. They no longer made the bag so they offered me another model as a replacement. Well it didn't match the wife's bag and they wouldn't replace both of em. So no more LLBean for me.

Are you serious? I don't know how LL Bean doesn't go out of business because of their return policy. Just buy one of everything and your set for life. Return it when it wears out or you want an upgrade. LL Bean has the best warranty/guarantee out there. The only one that does come close is Cabela's for their name brand products.

Woolrich or die.

foxfire wrote:
Actually, I visit Cabela's and BPS to see the mounts and décor!!!! When traveling, It's neat to see the regional dioramas each area provides. I LOVE the Wheeling Whitetail Word room. The hunting clothing is ****-poor. At least the Field and Stream stores carry Filson, Woolrich, Simm, etc. - named brand quality outdoor clothing. I would never think of buying my firearms from any big-box store.

Cabelas carries Simms and since they carry Simms and I have a Cabelas credit card I am able to afford Simms products. IF I wasn't able to save up the points on the credit card and get like $200 off I never ever would be able to afford any of their products. I want the best but there is no way I can afford the best unless I find loopholes (club points, extreme sales, ebay, etc).

All because your sleeping bags don't match? Who's gonna notice, or even care? Sounds like an exciting camping trip. LOL!

Do you also have matching European shoulder bags?

Would I get banned if I called you a poser?

All in fun. I'm surprised they wouldn't let you return both of them for refund.

Wife and I don't have that problem, because we have a sleeping bag for 2. Then again, that could explain why she doesn't like to go camping?

Once again, I haven't had problems with Cabela's quality except for a fly reel I bought about 20 years ago. They replaced it, but the replacement broke on the second trip. (cheap drag system)

I gave up and bought a replacement at a small shop near where I was fishing at the time ... which I still have. I probably should have tried to send the Cabela's reel back for a refund, but never did. I didn't pay all that much for it anyway.

Sad-there was a time back when most of you were mere lads or just a gleam in the eye of your pa's - a stop at the first Cabela's on the way to or coming from the promised land [Montana] was the ultimate high- bass pro has never been more than a warm water[softy] fishing hangout with a token nod to the long rods.

foxfire wrote:
I LOVE the Wheeling Whitetail Word room.

Me too. That was awesome.

I would never think of buying my firearms from any big-box store.

I'll admit I like checking out the used guns at Gander Mountain, but they are usually way overpriced. Maybe that is why they have so many. They can't sell them.

HopBack wrote:
On the way home I stopped at LLBean and complained. They no longer made the bag so they offered me another model as a replacement. Well it didn't match the wife's bag and they wouldn't replace both of em. So no more LLBean for me.

Are you serious? I don't know how LL Bean doesn't go out of business because of their return policy. Just buy one of everything and your set for life. Return it when it wears out or you want an upgrade. LL Bean has the best warranty/guarantee out there. The only one that does come close is Cabela's for their name brand products.

Hopback. you have to read between the lines in that post.

It is pretty clear to me that Franklin is no longer allowed to shop there.

I've been married 33 years, so I have been there, too.;-)

duckfoot wrote:
Woolrich or die.

I love my red plaid Woolrich. All I need is one of those floppy Elmer Fudd hats.

Also love my Carhart winter coat. Both were worth the money.

HopBack wrote:

I used to believe that. No more.

bigjohn58 wrote:
foxfire wrote:

Cabelas carries Simms and since they carry Simms and I have a Cabelas credit card I am able to afford Simms products. IF I wasn't able to save up the points on the credit card and get like $200 off I never ever would be able to afford any of their products. I want the best but there is no way I can afford the best unless I find loopholes (club points, extreme sales, ebay, etc).

Three kids went through college and everything went on the Cabelas charge card. Including tuition. I outfitted a boat and much more on those points. Several thousand dollars worth.

Franklin, speaking of matching bags.

Wife had recently gone through some medical issues. On the mend now.

Anyway, on one of her medical visits, I was walking back to the waiting room carrying her purse. A lady about my age, maybe a little older was watching me. It happens a lot, but that's another thread.

Anyway, I asked her if she liked my European shoulder bag.

Without missing a beat, she said it matched my slacks very well.

I looked down, and sure enough, it did.

We laughed

I guess you had to be there.

shoulder bag ? is that guy talk for pocketbook ?

It's a MAN PURSE

^ My teacher's bag made of kangaroo hide always seems to match my docksiders.

Up here in Michigan-surrounded by great warm water and some pretty good cold water- the box stores have cornered the tackle and hunting biz- and it shows,sadly because they all carry fast selling stuff but you have to fashion your own special rigs--- finesse,forget it-meat market is where its at.

My work travels often take me through Hamburg. As someone else said that Cabela's store is a ghost town during the week. Recall taking my dad there not long after it opened. Think he was going to buy a pair of waders or some other common product. They didn't have them. The salesperson said their store inventory was actually quite small and the best option was to order on-line.

I think these stores are neat to walk through occasionally if you want to look at stuffed deer and other game mounts or stare at the lightning trout in the ponds but the bottom line is on line sales far exceed in store sales. Doubt they care too much about a brick and mortar store in any of the locations mentioned. Welcome to 2016.

Cabela's made great fly rods.

Amending recommendation to include; Woolrich's products.

Traveling through PA, would stop at return/seconds store in Woolrich. Their seconds were better then today's first. Infrequently, a few seconds came with partially removed labels. Looking closely at the cut up labels, you could see the very tops of the "LL's" .

Don't know if outlet store or company is still located in Woolrich. Suspect both are long gone, revealing a little about my age. At my age, durability may be greatly overrated.

I used to stop at the Kittery Trading post store in Maine, it was far superior to Cabela's, Field and Stream,or PBS. They used to have "racks" of used guns in the fall. Freeport LL Bean was a good shop to stop at too. But Ktp Has a full 1st floor of fishing gear.
www.kitterytradingpost.com

Back