It's official - Bass Pro acquires Cabela's

nomad_archer wrote:
Just a general comment on Cabela's. I was just about to purchase a vise from them since I got a 20 off 100 or more coupon and they are offering free shipping on their website. Apparently you cant combine the two and Cableas wants $17 to ship a fly tying vise. Needless to say, no thanks. I will be purchasing from any number of other online retailers that offer free shipping after you meet a specified order amount well below the cost of the vise. Driving the 45 minutes to the store for something like this just isnt worth it. Other than occasionally good clearance sales with free shipping I am done with cabelas as there are plenty of other good retailers out there. Heck even orvis provides free shipping on any order if you use the orvis credit card.

I understand shipping is expensive but $17 in shipping when others are selling the same item at the same price and offering free shipping doesnt make sense to me.

Personally shipping is something that I try to avoid since there is usually someone offering free shipping.

You think that is bad...

I just ordered a small "item" for beekeeping from a beekeeping supply place. I doubt the whole kid ways much more than a pound. On sale for about $20. Shipping was $24 and change and they are taking their good old time getting it out.

Wife has pushed me for several years now to start my own beekeeping supply place. If I were younger, I would.

FarmerDave wrote:
I doubt the whole kid ways much more than a pound. On sale for about $20. Shipping was $24 and change and they are taking their good old time getting it out.

That's very light for a whole kid, and cheap too. I'd say you got a bargain, despite the shipping. Assuming you wanted the kid, and I'm assuming you did since you bought it. You really can get everything online now!

FarmerDave wrote:

You think that is bad...

I just ordered a small "item" for beekeeping from a beekeeping supply place. I doubt the whole kid ways much more than a pound. On sale for about $20. Shipping was $24 and change and they are taking their good old time getting it out.

Wife has pushed me for several years now to start my own beekeeping supply place. If I were younger, I would.

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that. Did they still have the best price after shipping? Or limited buying options for your item?

They also looked at Milesburg/Bellefonte close to I 80

Against my skin, I prefer natural fibers, like cotton.

No wonder you froze that day steelhead fishing. As salmonoid said, cotton kills. Even outside of outdoor gear, I'm trying to eliminate cotton altogether from my wardrobe. Jeans are the last hold out. And I only wear them to inside stuff and around the yard, I won't wear them for any serious outdoor pursuit.

But I look for 0% cotton in shirts, underwear, socks, etc.. And any pants that I'll be hunting or fishing or hiking in.

I do have a couple polyester fishing shirts, but they rub my nipples the wrong way.

Generally I'm pretty happy with the way polyester feels, but have had trouble with nylon if there is no layer underneath. Ultimately, though, whether cotton, poly, nylon, etc. The "feel" isn't so much the material itself. They all make threads. But rather it's the weave of those threads to make fabrics. Just like the thread count on bed sheets.

Swattie87 wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
I doubt the whole kid ways much more than a pound. On sale for about $20. Shipping was $24 and change and they are taking their good old time getting it out.

That's very light for a whole kid, and cheap too. I'd say you got a bargain, despite the shipping. Assuming you wanted the kid, and I'm assuming you did since you bought it. You really can get everything online now!

Yea, that would be small, but why would I need a baby goat for the bees?;-)

I meant kit. I'll blame that one on auto correct, but it was probably all me. ;-)

The other day I sent an email to work stating I was "Forking" from home. That got some mileage. No idea how that one happened, but I hate laptops.

And the kit still hasn't arrived.

Good thing it wasn't a kid, or it would be dead or damned thirsty. by now.

Been over a week. I spose I should check on [d]him[/d] [d]her[/d] it.

Just hope they don't close the Hamburg store. That's only 30 minutes away for me. Bass Pro is the other way, and about the same time but I prefer Cabelas.

Hamburg is the largest Cabela's store in the entire chain. It is not going away.

Back