It’s just fishing.

I watched the video. It’s a good a video, with good advice to follow on an individual and family level, from within your own home and when you do/must go out, to protect yourself. Thanks for posting it.

That being said, it nowhere supports opening the country back up for business and public gathering during the midst of this. In fact, quite the opposite. Though he’s a doctor in NYC, I think it’s very telling how he’s directing his immediate family to handle this - In isolation on a family member’s farm well outside of the city. (This part of the video starts at 17:45 or so, for those who want to watch it, or review it.)

“Limit your social circle”, seemed like a big piece of his strategy to defeat this, along with hand washing and not touching your face. The problem with opening up business and public gathering is that it’s in direct contradiction to limiting your social circle. And the reason that social circles need to be limited, is that the public at large can’t be trusted to wash their hands religiously and never touch their faces. It’s not easy to do for the most disciplined and knowledgable of people, a doctor in this middle of treating a pandemic in this case, nonetheless the segment of the population that is ignorant and/or doesn’t give a F.

Good video. And thank you to him, and other doctors for all they’re doing and the risks they’re taking. (Risks they seemingly would never have their own family members take.)

I might not be a doctor but something tells me a fractured skull has nothing to do with coronavirus. Or when a woman who was asymptomatic dies of a stroke.
*shrugs*

Stay safe everyone.

I trust Dr. Fauci and his staff. The guy in the video is one doctor with an opinion, and we all know the saying about about opinions.

I think it’s perfectly healthy to have some fear in your daily life. It keeps you alive.

Moon1284,

What did you see in the nyc boroughs?

Typhoid Mary. C19------------.
A carrier isn't necessarily a running back. GG

Just a question, and it doesn't even matter to me, since I don't play, but why are golf courses shut down, yet fishing is allowed? I would think golf is something that could be enjoyed, by oneself, or with another, appropriate distance of course. No carts, walk the course, hit some balls, get fresh air.
So why are they shut down in PA? They ARE open in NY state. Or at least will be when the snow melts up there.

bikerfish wrote:
Just a question, and it doesn't even matter to me, since I don't play, but why are golf courses shut down, yet fishing is allowed? I would think golf is something that could be enjoyed, by oneself, or with another, appropriate distance of course. No carts, walk the course, hit some balls, get fresh air.
So why are they shut down in PA? They ARE open in NY state. Or at least will be when the snow melts up there.

You can certainly play by yourself, but I think a round of golf is generally viewed as a social outing. There's just generally some degree of interaction with others that is less much less common with fishing.

None of the rules being used to create social distancing are perfect. This is our first go at this.

The governor was asked that same question yesterday biker. His answer was largely based on golf courses having clubhouses where people gather to pay and get scorecards. His point was anglers in theory can go straight from their home to the stream, and back, without interacting with anyone. FWIW.

I think golf could probably be ok. Pay online through a course’s website before you get there, or from your phone in the parking lot. Walking only, no carts. Keep distance from others in your party. Everyone leaves the flag in each hole so there’s no touching it. No food or beverage service, BYO water and food.

I've noticed that bait shops are allowed to be open. I guess they're considered essential to go along with fishing.

So, why not fly shops then?
We're all angling with a hook, right? Just a little different "bait"

I know several fly shops that also sell bait. Guess that makes them OK to be open?

Wow! Sorry, I just can't see anyone feeling this way. If fear-mongering saves 10,000 lives it's not fear mongering. Do people feel like this doesn't save lives. Why in the world would anyone fear monger for profits? What profits are there?? I guess my wife who is a respiratory therapist dealing with dying patients is fear mongering when she comes home crying for these people and because of her own fears about her and our safety. And for anyone who thinks we have the ppe for doctors, nurses, and others you are sadly mistaken.

Went for groceries today an it looks like business as usual. Construction going on, car lots open, electronic stores etc doing business. I fear there will be a backlash from this semi distancing going on. It's at least 3 to 4 weeks before it break. Sorry to be a party pooper, but it's how I perceive it. GG

I feel the same GG....once the weather changes and temps are above 70.

dryflyguy wrote:
I've noticed that bait shops are allowed to be open. I guess they're considered essential to go along with fishing.

So, why not fly shops then?
We're all angling with a hook, right? Just a little different "bait"

In a real pinch, live bait has a slight nutritional advantage over artificial flies.

Edit to my comment, I noticed today that NY is banning golf now.

A lot of NWA golfers have been traveling to NY state to golf as all Pa golf courses are closed.
Officials trying to limit the traveling of people for non essential activities.
A lot of things are happening that are not being reported by news services. Reservists/US military have been moving alot of goods at night up here in NWPA on the interstates.
Releasing the citizens on May 1st may lead to a huge serge that has not happened yet in the rest of the State.

CRB wrote:

A lot of things are happening that are not being reported by news services. Reservists/US military have been moving alot of goods at night up here in NWPA on the interstates.

Did you tell your local news what you are seeing.

They're not mind readers. Someone said before the "media was over reporting the numbers". Really, did they just make them up or are they just reporting the numbers they are given. Lots of counties including mine do not have a county level health department and are left to ge any info from the state. If anyone is under or over or any other kind of reporting, its because that is what is being TO the media. They are not a supplier of information. The word media by its definition means it just a vehicle for taking information and distributing it to a larger audience so each individual doesn't have to go get this information themselves. The "media" has to get their information from somewhere. if you don't believe what the media tells you, maybe you should look at the source of the information they are distributing. You'll mind most of your answers there.

so, did you call your local news station or paper and tell them about these military caravans you say you saw? Did you?

ok, i'm done. Carry on.

Golf as usual in the Sunshine State. Course we passedtoday was FULL of duffers,sas any masks. We aren't even close to the top,wtf does our Governor think? correction:he dosen't. GG

I think you're right about your guv... On the other hand, there is an argument to be made than he isn't any worse than the guy before him would have been. That probably isn't really any consolation, I guess..:)

Birds with the same feathers,roost together. I'm waiting for - to tell em what to do.
Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
C19? GG

Back