Heavy Rain

Sal, just say the word and you will have a bunch more flies on the way. Like I told you, flies I got. Plenty of them in various sizes.

43986492931_1855645039_b.jpg

The hopper and your fly Kirk. Deadly combo when drifted into the trees now in the high water and twitched.
Thanks again!

I fished a forested freestoner in Clinton County and had good fishing for wild browns and native brook trout.

The water was at a nice level. The fishing probably would have been better (easier?) if it the water had been up higher.

I heard a thunderstorm roll through a little ways to the north, but there was no rain where I was.

I had a thunderstorm go through lower Clarks valley. I should have fished longer. Was missing a bunch of fish but was worried that I might get hit with one and the trail to the creek was tough with a fair amount of poison ivy. I wonder if a nearby storm turns fish on. That is what seemingly happened today for me.

Sal, glad you had success with it. It can be a multi-purpose fly that I fished with really good success since the 80's. Kinda proud of it.

More coming you way.

riverwhy wrote:
I had a thunderstorm go through lower Clarks valley. I should have fished longer. Was missing a bunch of fish but was worried that I might get hit with one and the trail to the creek was tough with a fair amount of poison ivy. I wonder if a nearby storm turns fish on. That is what seemingly happened today for me.

There does seem to be a pattern that the fishing is often good when the weather is unsettled, when there are storms in the area. Part of this may be due to the skies being cloudy, so the light levels are lower than when the sky is clear.

Both insect activity and trout feeding are generally greater when light levels are low than when the sun is very bright.

troutbert wrote:
I fished a forested freestoner in Clinton County and had good fishing for wild browns and native brook trout.

The water was at a nice level. The fishing probably would have been better (easier?) if it the water had been up higher.

I heard a thunderstorm roll through a little ways to the north, but there was no rain where I was.

I recall being in the middle of Agnes flood when I was a kid. Many folks had their homes flooded out or destroyed. I'll never forget the guy that lived up on the hill, whose house remained high and dry, and listening to him party on his deck while everyone else was trying to clean up and put things back together after the flood.

Anyway, all the big rivers and most eastern PA streams are in rough shape (high/off color) for the most part and we have yet another weekend of pop-up t-storms that can put down a torrent of rain.

If you're in to that sort of thing, and as tb alluded to, the small stream wild Trout fishing is dialed in right now. As good as it gets IMO. Up, a little off color, and perfect temps. (In the Spring, when the big streams are prime for their hatches, the smaller freestoners are often still colder than ideal.) If it's not your deal, or hasn't been historically, now would be a good time to get bitten by the bug probably.

Attachments

• 08-11-18 (18) - PAFF.jpg
    08-11-18 (18) - PAFF.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 08-11-18 (22) - PAFF.jpg
    08-11-18 (22) - PAFF.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 08-11-18 (25) - PAFF.jpg
    08-11-18 (25) - PAFF.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 3
Swattie-
Gorgeous fish man! Love the red spotting on those browns.

This morning, another 3" - 6" east of the Susky. Lots of flash flooding... again. Looks like we may finally get a break later this week.

krayfish2 wrote:
This morning, another 3" - 6" east of the Susky. Lots of flash flooding... again. Looks like we may finally get a break later this week.

My phone went off again with a flash flood warning and it's really putting it down right now.

Latest weather forecast info:

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2018-08-09-wet-pattern-heavy-rain-flooding-east-middle-august

PA had the wettest July on record (100+ years) and August is setting up to be close to the same thing.

Got some fishing in Friday in some mountain streams for some wild browns. Plenty of action. Called off our float trip due to the expected forecast...and Penns ended up not even getting hit badly at all...

My buddy didn't want to drive all the way from Boston with his drift raft for a chance of getting stuck in a thunderstorm in the middle of Penns...we should have said $*% it and gone anyways, oh well.

It is absolutely dumping rain in the Philadelphia suburbs right now...stay safe everyone.

Massive flash floods happening right now in Central PA.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01539000

bradtheflyfisherman wrote:
Got some fishing in Friday in some mountain streams for some native browns. Plenty of action.
Actually, they're wild browns. Brookies are the only trout native to Pa.

wildtrout2 wrote:
bradtheflyfisherman wrote:
Got some fishing in Friday in some mountain streams for some native browns. Plenty of action.
Actually, they're wild browns. Brookies are the only native trout to Pa.

I assumed he meant he crossed the big pond in hopes of better flows and was fishing in the Pyrenees or Alps for the weekend. ;-)

Whoops...I meant wild.

In my 42 years on this planet I can never recall a summer pattern like the one we're stuck in out east over the past 3.5 weeks. Sustained stream flows like this I can't ever recall in August. Todays rain is going to devastate many watersheds in the area unfortunately. Personally, I wish it would stop raining for at least a month at this point and for me to say that is unheard of. I love rain but ENOUGH already!

Stillwater fishing has been phenomenal cant wait to get back at it this Wednesday . Don't be a one trick pony its time to hit those lakes .
5570237.jpg

Skuke just got hammered again this morning. Unbelievable

Back