Heavy Rain

Zak wrote:
In my 42 years on this planet I can never recall a summer pattern like the one we're stuck in out east over the past 3.5 weeks. Sustained stream flows like this I can't ever recall in August.
I'm 61 years today on this planet, and I've never seen the likes of it either. I just heard we had our rainiest July on record here in SE Pa, August looks like it's following suit.

Not sure but this might be another 100 year flood like the one we had in 2011. My house in Benton is taking in water and the creek is out of the bank which is 18+ feet above the normal creek channel. Its going to be devastation for a lot of people.

Ron

Hang in there Ron. How much water did your place take in 2006 and 2011? I have a cabin on Huntington Creek in Orangeville and we are trying to back of the envelope how much of an issue we are going to have.

Our cabin is on 8 ft. high stilts and didn't take water in 2011 (the water was lapping on to the porch).

Things are looking bad in DELCO
https://6abc.com/weather/heavy-rain-leaves-several-delco-homes-flooded/3351408/

Looks like Fort Indiantown Gap up through Frackville got hit pretty hard too

https://wnep.com/2018/08/13/flash-floods-rip-through-benton-as-fishing-creek-rises/

Wow! If you are familiar with the location this was captured it is shocking to see the water this high.

allan_s: That sucks for those folks. I'm not surprised, though. All this water has to go somewhere.

:-o
https://abcnews.go.com/US/flash-flooding-threat-continues-east-coast-wet-weekend/story?id=57148364

I left our camp on top of Red Rock Mountain this morning at 9 am. Up until this weekend, our camp got 16 inches of rain since July 1. This weekend we probably got 3-5 more inches.

All of that water was either draining down to the Loyalsock or Fishing Creek...both areas had significant/severe flooding today.

I hope everyone got to safety.

When it rains, it pours.

Video from Gulph Mills, Tremont, Scranton and Benton ..... amazing and frightening stuff. We've gotten pounded for weeks and really need a little break.

Prayers out to those impacted.

Based on where the rain fell and how much fell, any Susky fishermen will have to wait 2-3 weeks.... minimum. Tons to come down the WB and from up near Binghamton which will take 7-10 to reach us. Forecast to reach 200,000 CFS once again. It'll drop and then shoot back up. Rough year for river bass fishing.

Below is a graph of the precip for the last 30 days. The areas shaded in gray and white have been pounded over and over with rain in the last month. The streams and rivers are bank full or flooding right now. Like K-fish said above, we need a couple of weeks of dry weather to allow the Susky and bigger streams to lower the flow to more normal levels.

Attachments

• PA August 13, 2018 30-Day Observed Precipitation.jpg
    PA August 13, 2018 30-Day Observed Precipitation.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1
Weather Channel has been saying there are records being set for July and August for rainfall in SE PA. But is got a few inches to go before there are records set.

Benton..........

https://wnep.com/2018/08/13/flash-floods-rip-through-benton-as-fishing-creek-rises/

Sorry, duplicate post.

Chaz wrote:
Weather Channel has been saying there are records being set for July and August for rainfall in SE PA. But is got a few inches to go before there are records set.
This rainfall has been dramatically different depending on locality with differences of several inches depending on where you are.

If you go on to Weather Underground, pick a geography and look at the WunderMap with the Personal Weather Station (PWS) data, (mine included) it is amazing.

Regional amounts aside, I have a feeling that many small towns have already set records.

The forested freestone wild trout fishing should be good again this weekend throughout much of PA.

We are really getting pounded here in Berks County. Black as night out there.

Wild Browns in the streams around Kutztown are a fat as could be right now. Probably gorging on earthworms. Get out the garden hackle or your pinkish Brown San Juans.

Back