Heavy Rain

afishinado wrote:
Wow!

Here is a link to some video of the flash floods yesterday and last night in the Susquehanna Valley > https://www.wgal.com/article/creek-floods-home-in-swatara-township/22887825

We were packing for a Labor Day weekend trip when the rain came through. We had a waterfall into our driveway and our road was half flooded, which I've never seen happen before (we live almost on the top of a hill). We had to detour around a closed section of 441 and encountered standing water on roads in many locations. With 283 being closed, we discovered that traffic was horrendous and eventually took back roads (more standing water) to get down over Chiques Hill.

Donegal was massively backed up into the floodplain. Chiques Creek was hitting the abutment of the Northwest River Trail and shooting up over the top of the bridge, which I had also never witnessed before. All that water was draining from the area that really got hammer. Hit another small cell around Harrisburg, but then had a dry (except for drizzle) weekend in Sullivan County. Anyone happen to get video of the Chiques Creek spray over the trail bridge?

We live in Mount Joy...I was leaving for Caledonia w/ our youth students when it hit. BAD situation for some of our congregants who live near Little Chiques Creek. We didn't have flooding at our house but it was darn near impossible for my wife to get home, as a tributary to the Donegal Creek flows under a portion of Donegal Spring Rd that we have to drive on to get home.

Meanwhile in Caledonia, we had BEAUTIFUL weather.

Strange- lotsa rain and now more days over ninety than average year in Pittsburgh area.

Erie to get 5 inches of rain by Monday, that’s the best start to steelhead season in recent memory.

Watch out for Irma. She's no lady! plenty of rain with her. GG

Have rec'd 2.75" in my backyard rain gage in the last 24 hours (Fri-Sat) with the heaviest precip still on the way tonight and tomorrow... not to mention a hurricane targeting the Mid-Atlantic later this week. And SEPA is still recovering form the floods a few days ago. Sheesh.

Been stuck in this miserable pattern now for six weeks. We'll get relief....someday.

Gordon is supposed to give us up to 6 inches by monday. Looking forward to October leaf fishing.

would like to see some up this way just spitting for the past 6 hours.
Most of the tribs very low. Lake temp warm too 76*F.

Well, the gauges are starting to move a little bit up here (Erie County) now and the bulk of the rain is supposed to be over the next 12 or so hours anyway..

Personally, I'd just as soon we don't get a blowout up here from this. I still have another 6 weeks or so of small, open system lake and flowing water bass fishing I want to do this season before it goes to H for the year.

But it probably doesn't matter what I'd prefer. I expect to wake up tomorrow to a blowout..:)

Here we go again. If things haven't gone to hell by Monday morning, you might want to get out there before Friday. It looks like things are shaping up for the hurricane to hit the mainland and stall. This could be very bad. My dad lives in Myrtle Beach and he's already started to prepare for a direct hit.

Just looked at NOAA prediction for the Susky at Harrisburg. Scheduled to hit 15'+ and 270,000 cfs Wednesday afternoon. If we then get hit by a hurricane that stalls over us dumping rain.... horrible. Massive problems would occur. Hope I'm wrong.

krayfish2 wrote:
Just looked at NOAA prediction for the Susky at Harrisburg. Scheduled to hit 15'+ and 270,000 cfs Wednesday afternoon. If we then get hit by a hurricane that stalls over us dumping rain.... horrible. Massive problems would occur.

Yeah, this is worrisome.

It seems like most of the precip is in the lower Susky watershed however. Things may drain down before the hurricane. Whatever the case, this could be a real nail-biter.

Wow!....

Here's the latest >https://www.thisisinsider.com/hurricane-florence-brings-winds-risk-of-floods-to-us-east-coast-2018-9

From the link:

The winds are likely to hit North and South Carolina around Thursday morning, and Pennsylvania by the evening.

The National Hurricane Center said on Sunday night that the storm could remain powerful as it passes over the US mainland, and could penetrate as far as Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

There is an increasing risk of two life-threatening impacts from Florence: storm surge at the coast and freshwater flooding from a prolonged heavy rainfall event inland.

Forecasters also warned that it could unload one or two feet of rain in some places, causing devastating inland flooding.

More than blown out in central PA. Rivers much higher than flood stage, and it's continuing to rain. And if Florence hits later in the week, look out! My little town, Williamsburg, is pretty much surrounded by water.

We have gotten several inches here so far out of this one.

It started very slow which is very good. Ground was hard and dry. I'm thinking if it started as a downpour, most of it would have just ran off.

You guys to the east, keep an eye out for Florence over the weekend. She is developing a very bad attitude.

Florence has all the earmarks of a major storm!!! Pa will get a pile of rain from what I can see. Stay safe everyone!! GG

She is up to a category 4 now.

Where is pcray when we need him.

>>How are the Erie tribs today?>>

High and dirty.. Walnut has already dropped a third of the water from the overnight blowout. Elk at I79/Sterrettania is carrying about the max amount of water I'd be willing to fish it in if it were green and November. Which it isn't.. Pretty high, but not dangerously so.

Barring additional blowouts, both will be back to being dust traps by the weekend. This time of year, water goes through them like poop through a goose.

Back