Heavy Rain

Yough is at 26000 CFS, Loyalhanna is part of Rte#30

wildtrout2 wrote:
Kettle Creek is ripping at 1470cfs, and Florence hasn't hit yet. Yikes!!

Just over half the max flow for the recorded history of this day. Non-event. It's up, but has been 10X higher in the past (Agnes, for instance).

Dave_W's post #209 has the potential to be eerily prophetic. The day he posted the comment about hurricane season, I had the exact same thought on the way to work that morning. I drove through standing water in a location I've never seen it before, and I had the thought about what the affects of a torrential dousing from the remnants of a hurricane would do to any region that has been buffeted by rain this summer.

Let's hope we don't get much strong wind from Florence or flooding could be the least of our problems with all the weakened root systems.

Let's hope we don't get much strong wind from Florence or flooding could be the least of our problems with all the weakened root systems.

Was thinking this samething.
We already lost a bunch of trees.

Noticed today after this rain we have another depression on the farm. Just what I need, more sinkholes. I'm sure the hurricane will open it up completely

Keeping finger crossed this system moves through Pa Quickly with very little flooding or damages. Praying that no losses of life will happen.

2 more organized storms in the Atlantic that could cause problems next week. For Christ's sake.... enough already.

Juniata at Newport.... 1900 to 54,000 in 24 hours. Yow

The Juniata up here in my neck of the woods is the highest I've seen it in a few years. Raystown let out a bunch of water overnight and flooded people's campers and by this point the river is up to the River Road here right in front of my house. It rained a lot upstream on the Juniata branches and all of that is still coming our way. If Florence gives us lots of rain I could most definitely be in trouble..

krayfish2 wrote:
2 more organized storms in the Atlantic that could cause problems next week. For Christ's sake.... enough already.

Juniata at Newport.... 1900 to 54,000 in 24 hours. Yow

latest (as of last night) are that those other 2 will likely not make landfall on the mainland.

Florence is very unusual.

Again, where's pcray when we need him. ;-)

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

Was thinking this same thing.
We already lost a bunch of trees.

Noticed today after this rain we have another depression on the farm. Just what I need, more sinkholes. I'm sure the hurricane will open it up completely

We did too and I have one leaning on the edge of property which if it goes will take out the power lines on my street.

My area of central Virginia (Charlottesville) has been hammered since May. Much like PA as soon as the rivers drop to fishable levels, we get another two inches or so.

It is anticipated that Florence will stall out over our area. Some forecasts are calling for upwards of a foot of rain. This has the potential to be devastating.

Southeast Pennsylvania is experiencing a very wet year. The average annual precipitation in Philadelphia is 41.25 inches. In Chester County, at Valley Creek the precipitation for the year to date is slightly under 50 inches. We have another 112 days left in 2018 with at least 3 potentially significant rain events in the forecast. Are there any carpenters out there who know how to build an ark?

The fountain at Point State Park in Yinzburgh is underwater

Tiogadog wrote:
My area of central Virginia (Charlottesville) has been hammered since May. Much like PA as soon as the rivers drop to fishable levels, we get another two inches or so.

It is anticipated that Florence will stall out over our area. Some forecasts are calling for upwards of a foot of rain. This has the potential to be devastating.

Euro model has it going right over you which could mean a couple feet or so.

Some are now saying it might stall off the coast, dumping 30+ on Eastern NC, and it will rain for days.

Batten down the hatches and go visit Michigan.

Hopefully it was full of Stiller fans at the time! Zing!

FarmerDave wrote:
Tiogadog wrote:

Euro model has it going right over you which could mean a couple feet or so.

Some are now saying it might stall off the coast, dumping 30+ on Eastern NC, and it will rain for days.

Batten down the hatches and go visit Michigan.

Michigan is one of the last states in the Union that I have not visited. I will get there one day, but in the meantime... I will tie flies and watch the water rise.

Well, I hope you live in a hill.

link

FarmerDave wrote:

link

I do live on a hill. I also live on a lake with a 30 year old dam. Fortunately for me, I live up lake of the dam.

We got 3" of rain in the past couple of days. I'm still dealing with a basement issue from the 5 1/2" we got a week ago.

FarmerDave wrote:

link

Accuweather is the ultimate click-bait. They name storms and overhype everything. Drama out the wazoo.

I prefer the government agencies forecasts - no ads, no hype, just closer to real science. Having worked for a company at one point that had a plant in NC, I can appreciate the affects of a hurricane on coastal plain topography and the "rivers" that flow through it (the whole area felt like a swamp already). And the potential devastation that 20" of rain could do to that area.

212435WPCQPF_sm.gif

Back