Heavy Rain

Had a new experience for me today - was forced from the stream due to over fogging glasses.

I hit a brookie stream in Michaux this afternoon. Some rains had passed recently and the forest was just steaming like a tropical jungle. The humidity, my sweaty head, combined with the cold stream... just steamed my glasses severely. I removed my cap and tried to jury-rig a headband from a towel, but nothing worked. Within seconds, I was fogged up again.

Of course all of us eyeglasses nerds have had this problem, but today it was so bad I had to quit fishing (did some hiking on higher ground instead).

I'm badly near-sighted and can't fish without correction. While I have rarely regretted kicking the contact lens habit, I missed 'em today.

If you're thinking about getting out in the hot, wet, forests anytime soon and you wear glasses, think about a sweatband or contacts.

Cannonsville, the dam on the WB of the Delaware River is now spilling in mid August. Never seen THAT before in August. The temps in the upper west are high right now but moderate near Hale Eddy. Between the high water and high temps, the fish should be given a break.

Stilesville gages:

Attachments

• S-ville flow.jpg
    S-ville flow.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2
  • S-ville temp.jpg
    S-ville temp.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2
Had a new experience for me today - was forced from the stream due to over fogging glasses.

I hit a brookie stream in Michaux this afternoon. Some rains had passed recently and the forest was just steaming like a tropical jungle. The humidity, my sweaty head, combined with the cold stream... just steamed my glasses severely. I removed my cap and tried to jury-rig a headband from a towel, but nothing worked. Within seconds, I was fogged up again.

Of course all of us eyeglasses nerds have had this problem, but today it was so bad I had to quit fishing (did some hiking on higher ground instead).

I'm badly near-sighted and can't fish without correction. While I have rarely regretted kicking the contact lens habit, I missed 'em today.

If you're thinking about getting out in the hot, wet, forests anytime soon and you wear glasses, think about a sweatband or contacts.

I had the same issue. I just kept at it. For whatever reason,after 11am they stopped fogging up. Made for some great pictures

I'm not sure there is any help for the sort of heavy fog-ups you had, Dave. Other than what you did, that is.

I get a lot of fog-ups when the weather/conditions is right for them. Most are pretty transitory though.

One thing that has helped me some, at least, is to either remove my hat or turn it around, if a ball hat, so that the brim is not helping channel or trap the drippy air in the vicinity of my glasses. Sometimes, little things like this can make a difference.

This has worked for me. Some.. But in the hothouse setting you described, perhaps (probably) not.

Yeah - I also remove my hat in hot humid conditions. Definitely seems to help a bit with fogging glasses

Tom,
Both branches of the Delaware are spilling. Stilesville went from 46 degrees to 75 degrees in a matter of hours. Harvard on the east went from 55 to 72. We are lucky to get spilling in April or early May but n August? This is definitely out of the ordinary. The feeders are ripping too. On July 15, Lordville flow was 800 or less. Today it was over 16,000! Even the Beaverkill is cranking. Strange summer for sure.

There is a wipe-on product for eyeglass lens fog, called Cat Crap. Worth using imho.

k-bob wrote:
There is a wipe-on product for eyeglass lens fog, called Cat Crap. Worth using imho.

Thanks. I've heard about such products and may have to give this a try.

SCPA and eastern PA were plastered again yesterday - over 2" in my rain gauge yesterday that came down in about an hour.

I can't ever remember a summer like this - black and blue USGS for over a month. Hopefully, the fall will finally bend the jetstream and get us out from under this misery. On the other hand, with hurricane season coming into swing and the ground unable to take any more water....

Anyway, still hoping for a great autumn trout fishing season.

Some good news...Tomorrow is setting up to be the first post cold front, low humidity day of the Summer, as far as I can recall. Forecast for Morgantown, PA (SE Berks Co.) is 76, sunny, and 46% humidity. Lows the next couple of nights into the upper 50's. Haven't seen that in a while.

Over the next week it gradually gets hot again, but seems like lower chances of rain. Too far out to tell, but we should get a few nice days heading into this weekend anyway. Maybe we kicked it.

We got more than 3" of rain in West Lawn, and it's still pouring.

outsider wrote:
We got more than 3" of rain in West Lawn, and it's still pouring.

+1 > Flash flood warnings in Chester County. It just won't give up.

My rain gauges showed 5 1/2" here. It seemed relentless. Currently cleaning up messes.

Anyone following this whole "Mossy Creek" saga. Blown out and over the 100 year levels twice this summer.

Barns, sheds, tractors, equipment found along the banks, generally a couple miles down stream.

That will put the fish down for a few days!

9 inches reporting in my area...

14"? Wow, that's hard to even imagine. I pray for those affected. The sirens have been going steadily all afternoon and evening here.

Initial reports said 9-14" but now im JUST hearing 9".
:lol:
Supposed to get more tomorrow, maybe ill get my pond back before the sinkhole drains it all

MCTU trout nursery got crushed in the storm. Debris shows the water was over 6 ft above the ground...meaning the water was a out 8’ above normal level. Stay tuned for work days if interested. PM me.

2018-08-31 MCTU Nursery Flood 2018

Slideshow Image 1 of 5

prev
next

prev
next

Wow!

Here is a link to some video of the flash floods yesterday and last night in the Susquehanna Valley > https://www.wgal.com/article/creek-floods-home-in-swatara-township/22887825

Still not out of this rainy weather pattern....amazing!

The big rivers are just coming down to a decent fishing levels and the water is clearing but the weekend forecast predicts 2" or more of rain.

This may end up being the season that wasn't, for WW fishing in most PA rivers.

Back