Heavy Rain

Tups wrote:
Figz. I feel your pain. How much rain is forecast for Mifflin county between now and Sunday? I will be heading up on Friday. Tx.

Actually I just caught the news a few minjtes ago and they said only about 1 inch or a little more by Sunday. That's not bad. The problem is that it is supposed to rain more next week isn't it?

Jfigz. At that rate some of the tribs may be fishable but I suppose the Juniata is off the agenda. If the Reedsville gauge maintains at about 500 cfs the situation may be salvageable.

Yeah Kish should be in good shape to fish but in my opinion even flowing at 500 cfs makes that stream a little sketchy to wade. At 500 cfs that stream is pushing a lot of power and then factor in that it can also be a very tricky stream to wade in some spots and it could make for an interesting day on the water. On the bright side the temperature of the water should be good. In hot dry years I've logged temps of 72° on both Kish and Honey. That shouldn't be the case this summer.

Jfigz. Kish is indeed way sketchy at 500 cfs, in fact downright dangerous, especially in the narrows. But the west branch above Tea creek is a real possibility. This past Monday the water temps on West Branch were 62 F. Cloudy skies should keep it there.

"normal" flow for the Juniata at Newport is 1000 CFS this time of year. It's to reach 24,000 late Saturday! Wow. So much for farmers almanac saying July and August were to be drier than normal. April-June, they were spot on.

I don’t ever recall seeing Spring Creek in the black on the USGS for a whole week. Especially in late July early August.

The NWS State College is saying that Spring Creek is at its third highest level since 1990.

The conditions this summer have produced a bumper crop of mosquitoes.

If you're planning to head out and fish again soon, make sure you have plenty of your preferred repellant, especially if you're going to be in forest or out in the evening.

Well, it's moving a lot of accumulated organic bed load out of the streams, or as a fellow once told me in New Ringgold, Schuylkill Co, the streams are getting a good "physic."

Mike wrote:
Well, it's moving a lot of accumulated organic bed load out of the streams, or as a fellow once told me in New Ringgold, Schuylkill Co, the streams are getting a good "physic."

That fellow described it as "good." Do you agree?

And what is meant by "accumulated organic bed load?"

Mike wrote:
More like a "colonic".

This rain does suck but...

I've lost 4trees in the farm in the past month. 2 to wind and 2 to the ground being so saturated the roots let go.
I drive past 4 local creeks where by the bridge had downed trees in the water.

Sediment load removal, large woody debris, lower summer water temps, higher summer water levels....
Oh man when it tapers out, expect good fall and winter trout fishing in your major and minor trout streams.

I'm dying for river fishing but trout fishing....
Had been excellent and will only get better

I live in West Lawn, Berks County. Last night between 8 pm and 8 am we had 4+" of rain.

Mike wrote:

Dear Mike

Maybe that guy had met my Nana McMurtrie? She was the last person I ever knew that used the word "physic."

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

troutbert wrote:
Mike wrote:

That fellow described it as "good." Do you agree?

And what is meant by "accumulated organic bed load?"

Dear troutbert,

Just a guess, but I suspect he means the stuff like the crap Agnes washed out of the Little J back in the day?

With that thought in mind, I sure hope none of the NEPA mine discharges feel invigorated by all this rain?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

The Tulpehocken Creek flow is 3,750. I don't think I ever saw it that high. May have occurred in 2011, but I was away. The stilling basin road is closed as is the water works road. I never saw that before.

Back