Heavy Rain

https://www.facebook.com/YBACnursery/photos/pcb.1039001519584032/1039001232917394/?type=3&theater

Was up in Michaux and points on South Mountain earlier today looking for some brookie fishing. I was amazed at the amount of water still on the landscape. Even the tiniest of brookie streams were rolling torrents and unsafe to wade.

If you're thinking about heading up to South Mountain for some small stream fishing, I'd wait at least a couple days and more if you're targeting the mid-sized streams.

:-o :-o

Attachments

• E952E758-9A49-4F66-BD1C-B5489AD6B40C.jpeg
    E952E758-9A49-4F66-BD1C-B5489AD6B40C.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4
Fredrick wrote:
:-o :-o

A lot of water needs to go through that dam. Scary situation. Something has gotta give. Saw some pictures the other day when they had 22 gates open. Wild looking scene.

I checked out Codorus at the sawmill and downstream this morning, lots of damage and debris.

The Susquehanna River at Marietta has crested. No flooding through town. I'm really interested to get back out on the river to see how this flood affected some spots. Here's a video I took of Chiques as it was rising - https://www.facebook.com/LancasterOnline/videos/10155763644881395/?hc_ref=ARRhvGIq_dDDLOjDGofcEpn-NTC5RvKnSppwkF2V6MGtjczLhwVaySmecHf-ylfYrxA

Now it's so high it's just a pond.

YBAC now has a gofundme account on facebook to help with the nursery damage. FYI

raftman wrote:
The Susquehanna River at Marietta has crested. No flooding through town. I'm really interested to get back out on the river to see how this flood affected some spots. Here's a video I took of Chiques as it was rising - https://www.facebook.com/LancasterOnline/videos/10155763644881395/?hc_ref=ARRhvGIq_dDDLOjDGofcEpn-NTC5RvKnSppwkF2V6MGtjczLhwVaySmecHf-ylfYrxA

Now it's so high it's just a pond.

Agreed - it was pretty weird to see lower Chiques become a slackwater the past two days. I stopped at the bulk of the NW River trail access points on the way home last night - Falmouth access was completely and totally underwater, with two foot waves lapping up on the shore and the river ripping out in the middle, Bainbridge was the only one that looked normal, only because the river is normally well below the bank and the floodplain is high there, Conoy Canal had water up to the parking lot, RiverFront park was closed, but only because of water under the one railroad underpass, and Columbia Crossing had water several feet above the walkway and kayak launch. The cul-de-sac by the water plant was under water. Columbia Crossing had yellow tape up to close off the parking; there was one truck with a boat trailer in there, with no boat. I sure hope someone wasn't out on the river in that torrent.

Any idea how this will affect those flooded?
https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/1190
GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Any idea how this will affect those flooded?
https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/1190
GG

If someone filed the form to cancel their coverage, it will affect them, because they can't submit a flood insurance claim? :-D

Watersheds have crested and are dropping quickly as of today (Sat), including the Susky at Harrisburg. Thursday was the high water mark across SCPA apparently. Upcoming forecasts don't suggest significant precipitation. (Phew - sigh of relief!)

Anyway, it is still going to be a few days before larger creeks return to fishable conditions - longer for the rivers - but things are looking decent.

Dave_W wrote:
Watersheds have crested and are dropping quickly as of today (Sat), including the Susky at Harrisburg. Thursday was the high water mark across SCPA apparently. Upcoming forecasts don't suggest significant precipitation. (Phew - sigh of relief!)

Anyway, it is still going to be a few days before larger creeks return to fishable conditions - longer for the rivers - but things are looking decent.

Yep, everything is on the mend. It didn't get too bad here and I don't think the flooding was too damaging overall.

Incidentally, in my experience, summer fishing for warm water species can often be very good after a high water event abates. Once levels return down to more normal flow rates and clarity returns, smallies can really go on a tear.

It's hard to time this, but if you live close to these rivers and can get out when these conditions are met, you may experience some good fishing.

Has anyone been to Clark's to see what toll the high water has taken? I'm currently out of the country and won't be able to check it out for another week or so.

It looks like more heavy rain heading towards southern PA. There could be more flooding.

SWPA getting it now and to rain next 2-3 days.

I saw 5-7 inch totals for SEPA for the next week.

The grass is as green as it is in May, usually brown and dry by now.

All this rain really sucks. I am coming off the "DL" on Friday, I hope; but if it keeps this up, the streams will all be blown out.

I am starting to get extremely angry at the rain. I know I can't control this but come on. One of my favorite things in this world is all being shot to hell all summer long. It is pouring here now and the Juniata all ready looks like crap and it is only going to get worse. It is SO FRUSTRATING!!! Days of rain in the forecast too. I can't take it.

Figz. I feel your pain. How much rain is forecast for Mifflin county between now and Sunday? I will be heading up on Friday. Tx.

Back