Hammersley Fork

maxima12 wrote:
Dryflyguy, Seems he keeps his eyes open. Hats off to ya!

I used to camp back there years ago. It's a beautiful spot.

Then the DCNR enacted some new rules for state forest land.
Including one that prohibited camping within 150 feet of a stream.
And they blocked off the short, drivable trail that lead back there.

I like to take a walk back to the spot when I get up that way,
and check it out - which I did in April.
And saw some cooking utensils there that looked to be used rather recently.
Guess people are still camping there

Maybe we should have a forum called "The Good Old Days" or something like that, for such reminiscing.

Does anyone remember when the guy used to feed the deer every evening along Kettle Creek?

Loads of deer would come out of the woods and down near Kettle Creek. And people would drive there and park along the road to watch this.

I recall seeing this when I was pretty young. It must have been in the mid to late 1960s.

In more recent times I asked some older people at Cross Fork about this and they told me his name, but I forget what it was.

Might have been Campana last name.

Back in the days of vintage memories, if you looked at a Kettle Creek Map at any park or store. The deer feeding spot was clearly marked. One of the great Kettle Creek Wonders. Funny how a thing of beauty, is a no-no today!

I was invited inside the camp many moons ago, by a friend. He had stated, Dr. Campana from Williamsport was involved. Can't quite remember if he was the owner or a member. But i do remember the huge Moosehead that decorated the wall!

Maxima12

maxima12 wrote:
Back in the days of vintage memories, if you looked at a Kettle Creek Map at any park or store. The deer feeding spot was clearly marked. One of the great Kettle Creek Wonders.

Maxima12

That was probably on the King Maps. There was a guy with the last name of King, from Dubois, who made and sold maps of different areas across northern PA, with the streams and roads and different landmarks and historical notes and even names of camps.

They are very cool maps.

I think some of those maps are still available. Slate Run Store might still sell them. And maybe the store in Waterville.

maxima12 wrote:
Prospector, No. I do not know. Fairgrounds on Kettle, Must have been fun. Good place to Metal detect

Maxima12
Maxima,

If you are into metal detecting how about this one. We knew Charlie Cross very well (he was part Native American) and he owned the yellow house where Hammersley dumps into Kettle. We have since wondered if “Cross” Fork was named after his family. Anyway when I was a kid an older guy in our crew brought up a metal detector and Charlie took him up Trout Run. Walked upstream of the bridge, looked around and said “the old store was right about here and my brother lost a coin here in like 1935”. Of course our friend never found anything of real value but I was fascinated to know the woods and time have removed all sign of these old establishments. They also went to fairground above Leidy bridge. Look for the remnants of the old entry gate on the right side of the road. You’ll find it.

Slim Croyle. I was there several times when he fed them. We bought bread to feed them.

Here is a great link about Slim:

https://pawilds.com/slim-croyle-pa-wilds-deer-whisperer/

What a great story!
And somewhat before my time. I didn’t start fishing up there until 1980.

Wouldn’t have thought that deer would eat bread.

My wife and I have been feeding carrots to the deer in Oglebay Park - taking it out of our hands through the car window

Many decades ago during one summer I befriended a button buck at my cabin. I hand-fed him cookies, and named him mooch.

troutbert wrote:
Maybe we should have a forum called "The Good Old Days" or something like that, for such reminiscing.

Does anyone remember when the guy used to feed the deer every evening along Kettle Creek?

Loads of deer would come out of the woods and down near Kettle Creek. And people would drive there and park along the road to watch this.

I recall seeing this when I was pretty young. It must have been in the mid to late 1960s.

In more recent times I asked some older people at Cross Fork about this and they told me his name, but I forget what it was.
Dwight, I like the idea of a forum for "The Good Old Days", but I don't know if there's enough older folks on the site to keep it active? :)
Anyway, I remember back in the early 70's, there was a shooting range on SGL 180, off of Rt 739 in Pike county. It may still be there. But, there was a tiny trickle of a stream right near the range that the beavers had dammed up that created a pond, and it was loaded with natives!
Not many big ones, as you might expect, but an occasional 10" would keep us coming back.
On occasion we would see the beaver swim past one of us. It's one of those memories that will never fade.

I remember staying at "Christmas in Cross Fork" back in the 90's. Concrete block place. Had a great time up there! I assume Christmas in Cross Fork isn't still around is it?

silverfox wrote:
I remember staying at "Christmas in Cross Fork" back in the 90's. Concrete block place. Had a great time up there! I assume Christmas in Cross Fork isn't still around is it?
I think it’s still on the events calendar.

Back