Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Waterproof Camera $99

1-size matters,little things don't mean a lot,Kitty.
maybe GG can figure that one out.
2-should have gotten a little of the stream bank in the shot-assuming you are dapping and didn't just stumble.Then it would have meaning.
3-really like that one-seriously-intriguing,hence interesting
Sorry,can't help,not a photo person.:}

gfen wrote:
#1: Other than an ugly model (nice tan lines!), what's the issue you see?

#2: Someone didn't read what I said about deer ticks. Seriously, dude, you gonna roll around in the grass I highly suggest you sweat in some long sleeves. Also, its out of focus. I blame the operator. How long is the shutter lag time?

#3: I dunno, I don't think its bad, really. Its grainy, I guess, or is that just the fog? To work on the grain, try a few experimental photos at the different ISO rates indoors, without the flash. Do you see a point where it gets ridiculous? I know my Pentax pns has awful indoor grain at its 800iso mode, but not at 400. The solution? Don't use auto ISO. ALso, the way that the digital shake reduction works might not be helping, either. Try turning it off. I really don't see too much of an issue here.

Ya, these weren't "problem" photos. I haven't posted those yet.

#1 is fine (excluding subject matter)

#2 this is a point and shoot. Focus is supposed to be automagic. Having said that, I am not sure what setting it is other than "magic". It seems it focuses on things in foreground. Macro setting? IDK. I WILL read the book though and put some effort into it.

#3 ya, it bad fog and 8:30 PM. Interesting thing (to me) is that the first three shots were nothing but pure mist, like it was focusing on the mist. Again, this is the thing that leads me to question the Macro thing (which I never knew about until you were talking about it in shooting fly tying pics). It does have digital shake reduction and I agree that is something that screws up my higher end video camera. Again, I really need to read the booklet and play with it before becoming critical.

Well, the thing is, what does it focus on and how long between pressing the shutter, letting focus lock, and taking the picture is there?

Things can happen in that time frame, observe what happens when you press the button and see how much "shutter lag" there is, as well as focus time (which will go up as light levels go down). Fancy modes can help or hinder, try the P(rogram) mode to start, and if there's a fancy focus doohicky, don't have it set to things like the mountains (infinity focus) or flower.

obfocus: if your camera has a zillion focus spots and picks one it thinks is best, try turnign that off so it only focuses on the dead center. aim at manchild, press shutter halfway which focuses and locks it in, then readjust composition so manchild is placed at ideal point, then take photo.

also, if its dark enough, and you have frash off, it oculd be trying to use the widest aperature it could, thus dramatically lowering DoF and creating more out of focus areas, combined with camera shake from long exposures or just the wrong thing in focus, it could all go off, too.

Lesson learned in Glacier-if you want to capture the bear you walked up on,a couple hundred yards from the parking lot and not the foliage in between he and thee-turn off the automatic focus.That was with a camcorder.No matter how hard I looked I could not see the beast for the trees.Oh well,so much for bragging rights.lol

thanks for the info gfen. For some reason I never thought about what I can do with my point and shoot (have the same camera that this post is about). Now what I've learned about in my wife's SLR I can apply to the manual settings on the p&s. I think I'll get a whole lot better fishing pictures now.

p.s. She just got a nice little basic SLR instructional packet from "Kristen Duke" photography. She's got an awesome blog about taking good pictures, nice recipes and overall good blog.

ryguyfi wrote:
thanks for the info gfen. For some reason I never thought about what I can do with my point and shoot (have the same camera that this post is about). Now what I've learned about in my wife's SLR I can apply to the manual settings on the p&s. I think I'll get a whole lot better fishing pictures now.

p.s. She just got a nice little basic SLR instructional packet from "Kristen Duke" photography. She's got an awesome blog about taking good pictures, nice recipes and overall good blog.

Minor tweaks last night have really improved the indoor quality. Will work on outdoor over next couple days.

Back