Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Waterproof Camera $99

jdaddy

jdaddy

The camera store in Boscovs has this camera for $149 with $50 rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-Waterproof-Digital-2-7-Inch/dp/B0035WTVXW

Seems pretty reasonable price. I have yet to find a waterproof camera that I really like, having tried much more expensive models. I figured I would give this one a try and that I may be able to live with acceptable results at that price. I haven't put it in water yet to try it out. I did take a couple of photos the other day that I will post.

Hey, that's bright... if you drop it, you'll be able to watch it float away downstream.

For $99, a beat-it-up waterproof camera with an actual optical zoom can't be bad. I mean, I know we've been told by the expert we need an SLR to take pictures, but I bet you'll be quite pleased.

You should put it in your pool.

Jdaddy,

I purchased that same camera about a year ago and it has worked well enough for me. If I can find some underwater pics I will post them. i don't like the video function on the camera though, it starts recording *** soon as you switch into video mode instead of using the shutter button as an on/off switch like other cameras do.

John

*edit*
Not the best picture but I am still getting used to the whole underwater picture thing.
DSCF0408.jpg

kierkan wrote:
Jdaddy,

i don't like the video function on the camera though, it starts recording *** soon as you switch into video mode instead of using the shutter button as an on/off switch like other cameras do.

John

I noticed this issue as well. Maybe an attempt to reduce number of buttons for waterproofing or something?

Gary, ya, I thought about dumping it in the pool since there is so much shock in it. Test the corrosion point. LOL. However, my plans of swimming pool hijinx has been screwed the RAIN. Did you order up this RAIN?

Edit: Camera store at Boscovs only has blue so it's not so super glow in the dark.

Double Edit: No rain. Game on.

jdaddy wrote:
However, my plans of swimming pool hijinx has been screwed the RAIN. Did you order up this RAIN?

Rain is just water from the sky, dude. Its a waterproof camera. That includes rain!

I should mention that the Camera's video editing function does work rather well to cut out the bits you don't want. Maybe like you said it was to reduce the number of buttons to be pressed, but you still press the shutter button to take pics, maybe so we would know for sure the video was running? Whatever the case the video trim option will clean it up for you.

As far as the toughness goes I've beat the crap out of mine, in fact I let my 3 yr old nephew play with it when he comes over so he will leave my other cameras alone. No problem with the waterproofing here either.

100 bucks is a good price for it in my opinion. And mine is the bright green one (only color target had when I bought it). Considering Ive broken 2 cameras (not waterproof) and lost one (it was waterproof) somewhere between here and Erie I like waterproof and bright green.

John

Here are some photos I took the other day.

Photo of cooler I stole water out of under 81 bridge, bottles of said water, shot of Letort (i note in some photos it is focusing in on the grass if the foreground and stuff in background is blurry), maxed out zoom photo of deer is bad, maxed out zoom photos of the boat warning sign (located on each side of Letort . . . seriously?), photos of fog forming on water, last photo is of Slammer sitting on chair creeping a woman on a couch.

Attachments

• DSCF5003 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5003 (Medium).JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF5004 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5004 (Medium).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF5005 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5005 (Medium).JPG
    175 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF5006 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5006 (Medium).JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF5007 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5007 (Medium).JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF5008 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5008 (Medium).JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF5010 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5010 (Medium).JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF5011 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5011 (Medium).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF5012 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5012 (Medium).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF5013 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5013 (Medium).JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF5014 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5014 (Medium).JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF5015 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5015 (Medium).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 5
"Not tonight, I have a headache."

Looks like you've got a box of doughnuts next to her, though, so you were good, eh?

gfen wrote:
"Not tonight, I have a headache."

Looks like you've got a box of doughnuts next to her, though, so you were good, eh?

Ummm. That is Slammer, sitting on a chair creeping her out.

*she would be so freaking pissed if she knew I put pictures of her on here. lol. in all fairness she had been swimming and that is a pull over.

In that photo she is on the couch in my basement office, so we can see that the flash in the dark room is not all that great.

jdaddy wrote:
Ummm. That is Slammer, sitting on a chair creeping her out.

Oh yeah, it is. From the side it looks like a bag of doughnuts. I bet you'd rather have had doughnuts than a dead fish right then, eh?

jdaddy wrote:
*she would be so freaking pissed if she knew I put pictures of her on here. lol.

Oh, I intend for the second sentence out of my mouth when I meet her to be, "I've seen you on the Internet."

jdaddy wrote:
In that photo she is on the couch in my basement office, so we can see that the flash in the dark room is not all that great.

That's not uncommon, mine just drives its ISO rating up and makes it super grainy if you don't lock it to a lower one.

Ya know I did win that fish on the auction... glad you paid for the ugly pali though!

I have that same camera... works great in the pool for underwater shots. I've also taken some fairly decent photos for a basic point and shoot with it. No issue in losing it, that's for sure. I did leave it on the ground a few fishing trips ago and found it in a flash when I went back to find it. I got mine for christmas '09 and it was like 140 at that point. Nice little camera to bring on fishing trips and not worry about it getting wet. One thing I've been thinking of doing is buying one of those floatable key chains to put on it so if I do drop it mid stream I can hopefully retrieve it before it sinks.

for practicality considering price I give it a 9 out of 10.

I've had bad experiences with Fuji, but that was a long time ago, like 10+ years. Picture quality was not good, but appropriate for the price. Problem was one of those sliding lens covers, and it wouldn't send out the lens unless the lens cover was slid off. Well, the detection mechanism on the lens cover went within like a month, always thought the cover was closed when it wasn't. It became really hard to use the camera (had to jam something in the detection slot while you took a pic). Despite being only a month old and not being used for anything rough, Fuji blamed me, and the price for repair was as much as a new camera.

FWIW, I have a Canon D10 as my waterproof camera and have been very happy so far, but the price puts it in a different ballpark compared to yours, almost triple the price. Great picture quality above water, camera is solid and takes a beating. Been not so impressed on the underwater shots, but it may have more to do with the operator! The most important thing for me, and what sold it for me, is the speed. It powers up, focuses, and takes pictures REALLY quick, which is important to me in a fishing camera.

I took it swimming last night and it certainly is still working. I have not checked the photos or the video quality as of yet.

I have heard good things about the Canon D10. I had some $350 Pentax for about 2 hours. Photo quality was equal to this Fuji. I called Pentax for help in getting it set up because I could not believe the bad photo quality. They told me if I didn't like it to send it back with no offer of help. It went right back.

I Have a fuji, and it takes nice pictures.

I use this more for its video capability, but the Kodak Zx5 is a pretty sweet little toy to have on the stream....Underwater 1080p video is pretty sweet!! I know its not the best still camera as it is only 5mp, but it works for me....all the pictures that I have put in my post (except the post of all the flies) came from that camera.

For all other pictures I use my DSLR..

As you know, megapixel really just doesn't equate to picture quality. It may be possible for that 5mp Kodak to take better photos than the Fuji I have.

Here are some photos from an outing on FSB yesterday. I want to post some of the problem photos for the "experts" to try to figure out how to help these photos turn out a little better.

Edit: Third photo quality is expected as it had just rained after very hot day, was about 8:30 PM on Big Spring with huge amounts of fog.

Attachments

• DSCF7004 (Large).JPG
    DSCF7004 (Large).JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF7007 (Large).JPG
    DSCF7007 (Large).JPG
    242 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF7017 (Large).JPG
    DSCF7017 (Large).JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 3
thebassman wrote:
I use this more for its video capability, but the Kodak Zx5 is a pretty sweet little toy to have on the stream....Underwater 1080p video is pretty sweet!! I know its not the best still camera as it is only 5mp, but it works for me....all the pictures that I have put in my post (except the post of all the flies) came from that camera.

For all other pictures I use my DSLR..

The Kodak ZM2 Mini HD 720p Waterproof Ultra Slim Camcorder is 720 and is widely available for $40 shipped for those interested in a really inexpensive option. Just Google it and you will find the deals of fatwallet, slickdeals, etc.

#1: Other than an ugly model (nice tan lines!), what's the issue you see?

#2: Someone didn't read what I said about deer ticks. Seriously, dude, you gonna roll around in the grass I highly suggest you sweat in some long sleeves. Also, its out of focus. I blame the operator. How long is the shutter lag time?

#3: I dunno, I don't think its bad, really. Its grainy, I guess, or is that just the fog? To work on the grain, try a few experimental photos at the different ISO rates indoors, without the flash. Do you see a point where it gets ridiculous? I know my Pentax pns has awful indoor grain at its 800iso mode, but not at 400. The solution? Don't use auto ISO. ALso, the way that the digital shake reduction works might not be helping, either. Try turning it off. I really don't see too much of an issue here.

Back