entry level rod?

rapman wrote:

i use st. croix spinning rods and love both the quality and what little customer service i've had with them.

St. Croix makes some nice fly rods, also.

rapman, you mentioned you did not want to spend $300. For $189 or about $200 with tax, you can get a TFO Finesse. It's a medium action so it's has a great feel for an inexperienced caster. The only down size is that it comes with a sock but no hard case. I picked one up last year; it's a sweet rod.

4 or 5 wt come in 8'9" length.

TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Rod Series

finesse_main.jpg

PocketWater wrote:
http://m.llbean.com/product.html?skCatId=48827&bc=98-507923-2136#48827

I picked this up. I had a coupon for something like 20% off and like it. I use it as a backup now, but nice setup. Lifetime warranty too.

I'll do a plus 1 on this outfit. While I don't have the exact rod, I have a 7"4" 4wt Quest and love the rod. Casts so nicely it almost makes me look like I know what I am doing.

And, if you are unhappy with it, you can't beat LL Bean's satisfaction guarantee.

Lots of great suggestions here. One of my first rods was a cabelas wind river 8'6" 4wt combo. Over the last couple years I've fished several other rods, nothing super premium, but I still really like my wind river 4wt. I can't speak for any other weight in that line of rods, but the 4 wt has been great, and casts like a dream. I still love casting it. The wind river reel is fine. Nothing spectacular, but it's kind of nice looking, and it'll hold your line. You can get a wind river combo with a fly line (I found the line to be acceptable on my 4 wt) right now for $80 at cabelas.

You didn't say what type of fishing you'll be using it for, but the 4 wt is great for smaller trout waters. Never tried the heavier weights.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Wind-River-Combo/1342342.uts

RCFetter wrote:
rapman, you mentioned you did not want to spend $300. For $189 or about $200 with tax, you can get a TFO Finesse. It's a medium action so it's has a great feel for an inexperienced caster. The only down size is that it comes with a sock but no hard case. I picked one up last year; it's a sweet rod.

4 or 5 wt come in 8'9" length.

TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Rod Series

finesse_main.jpg

I'll +1 on this. I'm a TFO homer. I switched all of my guide gear over to TFO specifically because their rods and reels are high quality at a great price and if you break something, they have it back to you in a week.

I think the Redington Classic Trout series is money well spent. I love mine in 7.5' 3-weight. However, i use this for small streams and small dry fly fishing. I would recommend the 9' 5-weight for your first rod. It does it all.

I echo the comment on the Echo's.

Really good stuff at ridiculous price points. The Carbon is a step up from the Solo with nicer components for only $129.

Redington rods are good too but they have always felt way to stiff for me...the Classic is a good option though.

If you can push the $300 plus I'd say the Scott A series or one of two options by Buelah.

Not much of a Cabela's guys...gear, apparel or other.

FWIW, I recommend not totally cheaping out on the first rod. Don't go crazy either. But if you do get into this sport, there's no reason a first rod can't hold a fairly high rank in your future arsenal.

Action and size is more important than anything. If you generally intend to fish mainly bigger water (as most beginners do), go with something at 8 1/2 or 9 ft, around a 5 wt, that's advertised as medium-fast action.

My first rod was a White River (Bass Pro) brand. It was a fine rod for a beginner that came in right around $100 at the time. That said, it's downfall was that it broke easily. On the first break, I replaced it with the same, which also broke. Many of the cheaper rods do this. I've seen a few Cabelas branded rods too. And not to say they have none that are good, but generally, I didn't think much of them.

That said, some fly fishing specific brands make some pretty good stuff in the same price range. Cortland makes some quality entry level rods, and I have a GRX that is still my go to brookie rod at under $100 new. They don't make that anymore, but I'm guessing the "Pro Cast" model would suit a beginner very well.

TFO is a well known company that makes very fishable gear at a good cost as well. The St. Croix Rio Santo is a good bet from a good company that's gonna come in somewhere between $100 and $150. Redington, Orvis, Loomis, Scott, etc. all offer entry level rods that will suit you just fine. I'd recommend them over taking a chance on a Walmart special or a Cabelas/Bass Pro branded outfit.

i.e. stick with the major players in the fly rod industry and go with one of their entry level models. Spend $100 or a little more.

I'd say you can cheap out on the line and reel, but you already got a pretty high quality reel.

:-o

No vote for glass or vintage graphite?

How many of you started on, owned, sold then wished you didn't, still own and fish Fenwicks?

Great sticks for beginners. Strong and fun to fish.
I own a 6'4" and a 6'2" pair of 1 PC Fenwick 6wts I love.

I also think used early graphite can be great sticks for the price.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

How many of you started on, owned, sold then wished you didn't, still own and fish Fenwicks?quote]

Uh, that would be me. I gave away several Fenwick's in the 70's because graphite was better (or so I bought into). I also sold my Orvis Golden Eagle. Just shoot me.

Now I'm buying Fenwicks when I can find them at a reasonable cost and I have 2 custom glass rods on order. A friend of mine is building them for me in a trade for flintlock rifles. I also recently picked up a Phillipson glass rod circa 1950's.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

How many of you started on, owned, sold then wished you didn't, still own and fish Fenwicks?

Great sticks for beginners. Strong and fun to fish.
I own a 6'4" and a 6'2" pair of 1 PC Fenwick 6wts I love.

I also think used early graphite can be great sticks for the price.
I like fishing vintage glass and own two Heddon Pals, a Fenwick, a Philipson and two Cortlands. Slow down, adjust your cast and they work great. They cast line however they do not shoot it!

I started out with Fenwick glass.

When graphite rods came out, I preferred those. And still do.

In more recent times I cast an old Fenwick glass, and it was OK. But I wasn't tempted to go back to those.

For beginners, and most people, I think a medium action graphite is the best choice.

Back in the day, when I switched from Fenwick glass to a graphite rod, I noticed that I was immediately able to cast further.

I don't own one rod that retails for over $100. You can find a great entry-level rod that performs as well as the much higher priced models. I like Shu-fly, La Crosse, and Emerald Matrix Gremlin Rods. I agree with Troutbert- stick with medium action graphite. For $75, you can get an 8' 4wt 2pc Shu-fly from UnitedOutdoors on Ebay. I have one and love it as an all around rod. Pair it with an Okuma Sierra 4/5 fly reel for $40 and DTF4 line and you will be very happy.

I started out with Fenwick glass. When graphite rods came out, I preferred those. And still do. In more recent times I cast an old Fenwick glass, and it was OK. But I wasn't tempted to go back to those. For beginners, and most people, I think a medium action graphite is the best choice. Back in the day, when I switched from Fenwick glass to a graphite rod, I noticed that I was immediately able to cast further.

Totally agree, But where I fish my 6' Fenwicks I can cast enough line to get caught in trees far away ;-)

Casting line on small creeks is never the issue. the reason I prefer these rods is because it can cast 6wt line. It can also cast 5 and 4dt.
They feel good, are slow, strong and have some character.

I'm not saying go that way but I bought my one for 28 bucks :)

Orvis clearwater. Warrenty is nice and the rod is nicer, can't really do any better, thats my opinion.
However, so many people have said this, and I agree: cast a few rods, on the water if possible, and buy the one you like.
Cabelas is a real nice place to buy camping gear.

Speaking of Fenwicks, the Aetos finally hit the U.S. market. It was supposed to be released in Feb15' but took much longer. I couldn't wait any longer and went with the Mystic Reaper. The best rod I've ever fished. This article was my bible if you're a guy like me who doesn't have a fly shop with a huge selection to pick from or cast first. I'm thinking about getting an Aetos as well. If anyone is considering a new 5-wt, give this a read... link below.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2015-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzenith-loop-optistream

i just saw on another thread that cabela's cgr is on sale for $64.bam ,done

I would never go smaller them 8ft for a new caster. Totally different motion. Buddy of mine was very happy with an LLBean combo he'd bought inline. I have a 4pc 9ft 5wt Cabelas traditional II that I got so I'd have a travel rod and like the way it casts enough that its my regular rod. I use it for trout, bluegills and even smallies. You can pick up a Traditional III these days for about 75 bucks. I also have an Orvis Clearwater That for the feel, warranty and price is hard to beat. If you can stretch to 200 bucks its worth consideration. My kids took the flyfishing class at Penn State last year and is getting a TFO rod as his first. He's getting some kind of discount but I think you can do well for 150 or so. Good luck.

Back