entry level rod?

R

rapman

can anyone suggest a good entry level rod that is not junk? i really don't want walmart junk but also cannot go to a 300 dollar rod that will only be used a few times a year. i appreciate any help.

Others might have better input my my first trout rod was a redington classic trout...got it on sale at cabekas for under 100 and they come with a live time warranty

If you are getting it for trout I got an 8'6" 4wt and I still use it to this day...I love the rod and for the money and warranty you can't beat it

Just my two cents

tstooge26 wrote:
Others might have better input my my first trout rod was a redington classic trout...got it on sale at cabekas for under 100 and they come with a live time warranty

If you are getting it for trout I got an 8'6" 4wt and I still use it to this day...I love the rod and for the money and warranty you can't beat it

Just my two cents

+1
However, I would suggest a 9ft 5wt just because I feel it is a more versatile rod.

Redington is a great entry level rod. Another one I would recommend looking at would be the Cabelas Three Forks in an 8' 6" - 4 or 5 wt. It will probably run you about $75-$80. I own a Three Forks 9' 8 wt that I have used as a warmwater (primarily carp rod) for the past four years and have been very satisfied with its performance. I don't think you can go wrong with either rod for the price for a decent quality entry level rod.

In the OP, you mention a rod only. Do you have reel, line, etc? If not, you'll need to factor that stuff into the mix.

If you are in the market for an entire outfit, the Redington Path is a very nice beginner or back up choice. You get rod, reel, line, backing and leader. You can find the combo at Cabelas or Backcountry.

tstooge26 wrote:

Just my two cents

+2. I have only been FF for 2 or 3 years so i am no expert nor to i have a desire to be thought if as an expert. I have the CT 4 wt coupled with a cabelas tlr reel. Both were purchased on sale for about $150.00 combined. Love the setup and I will not be replacing it for a "better" rod.

My first Fly rod was the cabelas three forks 5wt with a cabelas prestige reel. I think I paid 89 bucks on sale for the combo with the fly line. Love that rod to and I will not be replacing it with a "better" rod. I did change to a better fly line which made a world of difference.

I will be adding a 7 and 9 wt and they will also be what some my call cheapies. My dad always told me every rod casts you just have to learn how each rod likes to be cast. Can't say that for the line though as their seems to be a big difference between cheap line and good line.

I believe a CT to be a great choice and a great price. With the holidays coming you should definately be able to pick one up for 80 bucks.

The Echo Solos are darn nice rods for the money, $129 retail irrc...

+1 for a Cabelas Rod, one of my favorites being their Cabelas TQR for 109.00$.
Id also look into a TFO signature series.

http://m.llbean.com/product.html?skCatId=48827&bc=98-507923-2136#48827

I picked this up. I had a coupon for something like 20% off and like it. I use it as a backup now, but nice setup. Lifetime warranty too.

I have a 9 ft 5 wt allen compass paired with an allen trout II reel that I have had for about a year now. Got a really good deal on it and they usually run good discounts on their rod/reel combos. I think i paid a little over 200 for the rod, reel, backing, and line plus shipping. It was my first fly rod and I really like it, but then again I've never extensively fished with another rod.....

I started with a Cabelas combo about 6 yrs ago, forgot the name of it but it was before they had the Three Forks model. I also have a three forks combo but like the older one better. Price was about the same. I recently put new line on the old one which has given it new life! I even broke the second from top guide and it's still great.

If you want to jump up to the $150 range, I recently bought a TFO professional series II 8'6" 4wt and am extremely happy with it! It feels as strong as the Cabelas 5-wt but at the same time helps with delicate presentations.

I vote for anything made by TFO. Great customer service and a great warranty.

I spend a great deal of money at Bass Pro but... Field and Stream opened today in Camp Hill. They have some nice rods cheap.

I have a 9ft 4wt Redington CT rod... Got it for $89 on Cabelas, threw on a Lamson liquid reel ($99). Really great set up for $200. I got it as a back-up rod, but have really been pleased with it.

I think the redington ct's are good. also

http://www.cabelas.com/product/echo-carbon-fly-rod/1570859.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D10000051%26Ne%3D10000051%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfly%252Brod%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dfly%252Brod%26searchTypeByFilter%3DTopRated%26x%3D10%26y%3D6&Ntt=fly%2Brod

Redington crosswater. I have thrown a few rods (tfo, allen), and have a few new ones (classic trout, old school wright mcgil, a few more) since . I actually still really love my first rod ever, maybe because I learned on it, but I honestly think it is great quality for what you. The redington crosswater combo can be found for ~120 ready to fish. Rod, reel, and line. The reel could be a little smoother, but I love the rod. I have caught everything from brookies to LMBs with it. The 5wt in whatever length you prefer, I have the 8'. Depends what you fish. I caught the brown in my avitar, and some nice ones from little J, spring, etc include some browns over 20" on it without an issue. The CT, TFO rods, and the cabelas rods are also nice. Can't really go wrong. See if you can go somewhere and cast a few of them and see what style rod and action you like. Goodluck!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/redington-crosswater-outfit-fly-combo/1166294.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcrosswater%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=crosswater

St Croix "Rio Santo". I believe you can buy a combo with rod, reel and line or just the rod by itself. It is St. Croix's entry level rod and is well made and good quality. The combo's are about $200.

I also like the Reddington Crosswater, got a deal on mine on here from Sasquatch. I just picked up a new "beater" rod on amazon, unusual low price. I paid $18.37 for a Superfly 9' 5/6 wt. It just arrived today, feels like a very nice rod, much better quality than I had expected. I checked back to find it again and it's now listed for $28.21. If anyone is looking for a low priced decent starter or back-up rod I would say jump on this deal, there are others of the same brand and wt. on amazon for around $60 I feel like I got a real steal, have yet to try it out yet. I would compare it to a Scientific Anglers rod, good quality.

Superfly 9' 5/6 wt rod

My apologies, but I may muck this up a little. What species are you targeting? What kind of flies do you want to fish? Or, how do you anticipate fishing (high stick nymphing, indi fishing, tossing streamers, swinging flies, dry flies)?

I have clients send me emails with this question all of the time and without those pieces of info, it's kind of hard to make a suggestion as to what would suit you best.

That being said, I agree with you that you can get a quality rod for nearly any species/style in the price range you are seeking.

i currently have an orvis battenkill 5/6 reel, made in england, to pair up with the rod i buy. i will fish the streams in western pa, possibly with dries and the occasional streamer or nymph. i once fly fished but moved away from it. i wanted to get back into it to spend time with friends as free time becomes more available.

the reason i asked the above question is that i have lost touch with the equipment and what is decent for the buck. i've always heard tfo makes a great product. i use st. croix spinning rods and love both the quality and what little customer service i've had with them.

i'm mad at cabela's.....lol.

thanks for the input. i appreciate it, guys.

I bought a Cabelas Three Forks rod for my son. An 8' 4wt 4-pc. I liked it so much I also got him a 9' 6wt for bass. I've ended up fishing them both quite a bit. They cast and are built far above their price in my opinion.

I would put the 8' 4wt equally as nice casting rod as many 200+ rods I've fished.

Back