Catskill JAM 2011, August 12-14, 2011

The wild west got bumped to 1000cfs. Good news for troots down on the main!

hmmm - just caught up with this. Sulking over 200% snowpqck messing up my plan to spend these 2 weeks in MT. Daughter getting married next month makes pushing MT trip into Aug-Sept a non-starter.

Think I may hit West Branch Anglers next week to preview for this Jam.

hp
les

I wonder why they cranked up the flow over the weekend. Lord knows it hasn't been raining, are they trying to hit the down stream target maybe?

wsender wrote:
I wonder why they cranked up the flow over the weekend. Lord knows it hasn't been raining, are they trying to hit the down stream target maybe?

That is typical on weekends, as there is no power generation at the Wallenpaupack plant. They up flows to hit target. Other variables may apply.

I hope they bang it up to a grand when we are there in August !!

We may have lost "esopusguy" the guide for the walk in nyphing trip. I haven't been able to reach him in 2 weeks. I can get you to the Neversink or the Esopus but don't know all of the access points. Jdaddy knows a little about the Esopus and may have to lead that semi-sober expedition.

krayfish wrote:
We may have lost "esopusguy" the guide for the walk in nyphing trip. I haven't been able to reach him in 2 weeks. I can get you to the Neversink or the Esopus but don't know all of the access points. Jdaddy knows a little about the Esopus and may have to lead that semi-sober expedition.

UGH!!! That sucks -- but we will roll with it. I'll join any group that wants to explore and wade up there. I know that Jdaddy would love to find his guitar-playing "friend" up there again anyway...

Jdaddy- We know you are able...are you willing?

We'll see. I just figured out this morning that this is solidly overlapping the family beach vacation.

Sorry to hear that. Cancel the beach vacation. I put this thing in during the dog days of summer to make the chrome domes happy.

jdaddy wrote:
We'll see. I just figured out this morning that this is solidly overlapping the family beach vacation.

South Cackalacky, Jerz, or MD?

Steve,

That nymphing trip is looking ill. Jdaddy is out due to family vacation that he didn't know about. I'm sure Jay would go. I can give you directions to the river but you'd have to do the exploring on your own. Brandon is still MIA and I'm trying to get a response from him. How about some hopper stalking on the frog water of the upper EB?

Looks like the guys will have to settle for the big, bad bow and browns on the D! An EB trip would be fun, but just to remind those that have never fished the D, a NY license is needed to fish anywhere above the Gamelands on the WB, or the entire EB, as well as any of the streams mentioned such as the Esopus. In other words the PA waters begins halfway down the WB and into the Mainstem. As of now, most of the action (cool water) is on the WB. The Mainstem is pretty warm not far below the Junction Pool (where the EB & WB meet).

A nonresident NY license for the season is $70. Unfortunately, it expires on Oct 1st of this year. I'm not sure what the price is for shorter term licenses.

I'll be there on Thurs afternoon thru Saturday. I'm sure Kray will some easy fish spotted and ready for us to catch on the first cast or two.;-)

Should be fun!

Afish -

35 for a 7 day, 15 for a one day.

For those going to the Jam, I'd go with the 7 Day, because like you said the licenses expire on Oct 1.

Guys, the temps should be OK on the main to Buckingham.

Upper East Branch @ Harvard: 206 CFS 58 degrees,
high yesterday 67

Lower East Branch @ Fish's Eddy 517 CFS 66 degress,
high yesterday 72

Cannonsville Release: 500 CFS

Upper West Branch @ Stilesville: 529 CFS 45 degrees,
high yesterday 47

Middle West Branch @ Hale Eddy: 556 CFS 47 degrees,
high yesterday 56

Lower West Branch @ Hancock: 56 degrees,
high yesterday 62

Main Stem @ Lordville: 1340 CFS 66 degrees,
high yesterday 70

***UPDATE***

I just got a call from the motel. They wanted us to know that there's only one room available for Friday. If you haven't booked, get on it. I don't think that every room has 2 guys in it and we have that as a saftey net if needed.

The fishing has been pretty good according to the guides they run shuttles for. Keep your fingers crossed that it stays good.

If that forcast holds...... fishing will be good. Bring rain gear.

BTW, what is everyone's suggestions for under wader insulation for the D? Pajama pants? Under Armour? The commercially marketed "Under-wader fleece" pants.

Suggestions?

I will probably just wear fleece wading pants. Pajama pants would work just fine and under armour would work even better.

If you fish up near the dam (NY licensed required), heavy PJ bottoms under your waders is a must. You'll only be able to stay in the water for 30-45 minutes at a time. If you fish the border water of WB and the main D, the temps will be in the 55-65 range. No thermals required for that section.

Nymphing excursion update… Brandon is back in to lead a group. He’s let me know that the Neversink is too warm in the gorge so the trip would be to the Esopus.

Back