Catskill JAM 2011, August 12-14, 2011

Thanks for the update on Brandon!

The Esopus? woohoo!!!

Jdaddy..you know what that means... he's missed you i'm sure.

Sorry trow and kray, not interested in anything but the delaware this time.

I will be there in time for a spinnerfall friday night, hopefully.

Kelly Galloup and I had a talk about the delaware. Nothing earth shattering, but it was pretty cool.

Steve,
Jeff is OUT. He's going to Myrtle Beach with the family. It may only be you and Brandon. LOL. Get pictures of the naked guitar guy along the river.

Jay,
What did Kelly have to say?

I was going to make an Italian stew and toss it in the crockpot for Saturday evening. Any interest? I just need to know if I'll need one crock or two cooking.

Not much that we don't already know. Big, white uglies against the banks. He mostly shared a story about a guy that told him that the big uglies wouldn't work there, then we got into the "they're brown trout!" circle j. I was mostly taken aback at how genuinely pleasant he was. He's an imposing dude with a completely disarming demeanor. Before I left, he filled me up on unsolicited tying tips for the few patterns I bought. Will return to the slide inn again.

kray - really? No other nymphers in the crowd? I'm Surprised! Oh well - i've never seen the esopus so its worth it to me.

Jay - see you friday night - anxious to hear about your trip..and hope we can find some time to fish together sat or sunday.

There is plenty of nymphing on the delaware. I wouldn't want to talk you out of the esopus - it's beautiful - but you can and will catch fish on nymphs on the D.

Andy,
I caught the vast, vast majority of my bighorn fish on top. I am currently sketching a rough outline of trolling out for you. :)

trowpa, I'm a nympher. I'll be joining you on the esopus most likely.

jayL wrote:
There is plenty of nymphing on the delaware. I wouldn't want to talk you out of the esopus - it's beautiful - but you can and will catch fish on nymphs on the D.

Andy,
I caught the vast, vast majority of my bighorn fish on top. I am currently sketching a rough outline of trolling out for you. :)

Sorry to hear you had a bad trip out there by not catching fish stripping your streamers. You didn't tell Kelly G. that you were catching them on top!?...did you?

jayL wrote:

I'm well aware Jay - to be honest.. 100% of my Delaware fish thus far (in my 2 trips last year) have been on nymphs :) ..and 80% of those on ISO nymphs. It takes quite a boil of activity to get me to put a dry fly on, but i can and will do it and enjoy it too!

afishinado wrote:
jayL wrote:

Andy,

Sorry to hear you had a bad trip out there by not catching fish stripping your streamers. You didn't tell Kelly G. that you were catching them on top!?...did you?

I had the best streamer fishing I've ever had out there.

But when the black caddis started their egg laying flight, I was able to roughly double my day's catch in the last half hour, at least by my non-counting count.

And even this die hard streamer fan can't pass up hopper fishing when it's on. And it was on.

Help me out here Jay... it's about 70-80 minute drive to the Esopus or is it a little longer than that? It is a pretty drive and a neat river. The water is off color 24/7 so be aware of that. Black nymphs or bright Czech types will get you hooked up. TONS of wild bows in the 8-12" range. There are also some larger browns lurking in the 15-20" range. If they have a rafting release the week before we go up, some of the spawner browns will move from the lake into the river. That makes it possible to get one in the 5-6 lb class or bigger.

"Esopus" is an indian word for "far away river".

That was the running joke. I recall it as 1.5ish hours.

Beautiful drive, and well worth it. Don't block the pumps.

There should be enough surface activity to allow for a little dry fly action. Tricos, Caddis, Iso, Cahill and Sulphurs for sure. What you see and how heavy the hatch will be is determined by what section of the river you are on. Here's the current hatch report from the DRC...

Isonychia bicolor –Iso/Slate Drake #12-2XL

Ephemerella dorothea –Sulphur- #16/18/20

Stenonema sp. - Light Cahill #12-#14

Ephemerella deficiens- Blue Wing Olive #14

Hydropsyche sp. –Tan Caddis –#16-#18

Emphemerella invaria - Light Cahill –#12

Brachycentrus sp. (Dark Grannom –Charcoal) #16- #18

Pseudocloeon - Little BWO’s- #22-#26

By delawareriverclub,on July 31st,2011
The low humidity and bright sun burned off much of the fog and mist that has been a problem the last few nights,giving way to an fantastic evening of fishing throughout the length of the West Branch. Sulphurs,olives,even a few isos have made a reappearance. During the late morning and into the afternoon,check the riffs for fish slashing at the emerging Hydropsyche caddis (tan #14 &#16) –they aren’t being picky!

By delawareriverclub,on July 28th,2011
We’re not sure what happened to these fish,but man are they hungry! Everyone out had a fantastic day on the river,catching fish on caddis early on,and sulphurs and olives into the evening. Fish were holding in SHALLOW riffles,almost as if they wanted to be in the sun! A #14 or #16 tan caddis (almost any pattern) was the trick for drumming them up in those riffles,and a good mix of rainbows and browns were there to be had! The ‘bows kept breaking a few of our guests off with their acrobatics –just what a purveyor of flies likes to hear!

That can't be a real delaware river report. A real delaware river report has the phrase "on fire!!!111" about six times per paragraph.

Cheap forgery imo.

The only way to know what's going on when it comes the Delaware is to see it for yourself.

And that tip is from a guy that isn't making the JAM. Geeez. Still a valid point. The only way you will know what's hatching that day will be to spend time on the river. That also doesn't mean that you'll see the same hatch the following day.

TOO FUNNY. Jay, you were looking for a post using the "on fire" phrase. Well, here's today's report:

By delawareriverclub,on August 4th,2011
Although I promised I wouldn’t say this,I am afraid I have to –You should have been here yesterday! The river was on fire –bugs throughout the system,and fish (particularly rainbows) coming up and chasing olives like crazy! The good news:today appears to be a carbon-copy of yesterday –cloudy with sporadic showers. The only bummer yesterday was if you were out,you got SOAKED. All this rain hasn’t greatly affected the river level,so fish should still be in their ‘normal’lies as they have for the last few weeks.

To add to the Raffle, I have a brand new Alpha 5/6 reel from Allen Fly Fishing. I contacted him, and he donated the reel. Thanks, Justin!

Also add... St Croix Imperial 9', 5wt, St Croix Legend Ultra 9', 6wt, 2 Simms shirts, 1 Sage shirt, Reddington "hoody", Custom shadow box for fly display, Selection of flies from Catskill fly & float and "Guide to fishing the Delaware" by P. Weamer.

BTW, I'll be there on Thursday morning (10am-ish). I will unload the vehicle, get my gear ready and probably head to the river from lunch until dusk. Anyone that will be there Thursday morning look me up. I'm in the end room.

Andy,

I plan to be there on Thursday afternoon. I'll fish on my own and catch up with you 0 dark 30 or so at the Capra. I'll PM you my cell #.

Tom

Back