Cased Caddis Pattern?

Check this one out. It works very very well for the grannoms that we see in the margins of our streams.

Here is a link to a video. I think this might be what you are looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i313RYVt5eg&feature=youtube_gdata

I hope you enjoy it. The pattern works well, especially during high water, which is when they dislodged from the rocks and eaten by the fish!

thats a nice pattern in that video

aaron what size do you normally tie the iced cased caddis in??

Do guys think the fish eat the cased caddis more than the uncased or possibly is there less of the uncased in many streams...

Boss

Do guys think the fish eat the cased caddis more than the uncased or possibly is there less of the uncased in many streams...

Not sure here, but when I kill bleeders, there's alot more pebbles in their bellies then larva or pupa.

But the rocks stick around a lot longer than squishy bugs do. Plus the rocks help the digestion of the insects.

Plenty of fish and other animals eat rocks to help digestion.

I do think that fish eat a ton of cased caddis though.

Which leads me to wonder. I've heard that corn will kill a trout because it can't digest the corn. Why then, doesn't undigested pebbles kill them to? Maybe I think to much.:)

Festus, the corn kills trout is a myth and was probably started by some snooty FFers. ;-) I've read articles stating, while it's not the most nutritious thing to feed a trout, it won’t harm them at all.

BTW, in an earlier post I wrote that I've observed trout absolutely stuffed with cased caddis.

Here's a pattern that I believe is taken for a stick caddis. It's called Doc's Green Caddis, and it was originated by a chiropractor from the College Hill section of Easton. His name was Doc Brinker, and he was a well respected fly fisherman in that area through the 60s and 70s. This pattern uses some off beat materials that are relatively easy to find. The translucent Easter basket straw will be hitting the shelves soon. However, if anyone would like to try tie this pattern now, PM me and I'll send you some as I have enough to last me 3 lifetimes. The dubbing is cottontail rabbit with lots of guard hairs. The collar is moose mane. I suppose that putting a bright green band behind the legs might make the pattern more effective.

I've had many a great day of fishing in the past with this fly to the tiger brookies at Camp Acahela on the Lehigh and the boy scout camp on the Big Bushkill. It has produced extremely well on the Bushkill in in Easton and on the Lackawaxen further north. Doc passed on many years ago, but his pattern keeps giving me good days on the stream. Try a few out.

Attachments

• docs1a.jpg
    docs1a.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 6
  • docs1b.jpg
    docs1b.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2
  • docs1c.jpg
    docs1c.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 5
  • docs1d.jpg
    docs1d.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 5
  • docs1e.jpg
    docs1e.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4
  • docs1f.jpg
    docs1f.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2
  • docs1g.jpg
    docs1g.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2
  • docs1h.jpg
    docs1h.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
  • docs1i.jpg
    docs1i.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
  • docs1j.jpg
    docs1j.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4
  • docs1k.jpg
    docs1k.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5
  • docs1l.jpg
    docs1l.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4
Festus, the corn kills trout is a myth and was probably started by some snooty FFers.

Danged varmints.:)

I use easter grass for my flashbacks. I stole it from my nieces basket 2 years ago and have been using it since. I have enough to tie atleast 1000 flies with... it looks great too. I haven't linked up my camera to my computer lately to post the pictures but I will soon. I think I'm finally getting that itch to start tying again... good thing, the season's right around the corner.

For a second, I was thinking "why did he just post a walt's worm?" :lol:

That's a very clever and inventive fly. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks.

Festus wrote:

I've had many a great day of fishing in the past with this fly to the tiger brookies at [color=CC0033]Camp Acahela on the Lehigh[/color] and the boy scout camp on the Big Bushkill. It has produced extremely well on the Bushkill in in Easton and on the Lackawaxen further north. Doc passed on many years ago, but his pattern keeps giving me good days on the stream. Try a few out.

That bring back memories to my Boy Scout days camping there and fishing the crick...

That bring back memories to my Boy Scout days camping there and fishing the crick...

My buddies and I spent quite a few opening days on that tract. It was a tradition. I loved that place. I wonder if folks are still allowed to fish it?

Another place that I miss dearly is Chapel Pool at Ressica Falls. Loved that place, especially during the Quill Gordons. Fished it for alot of years, until the new Ranger started allowing his friends to drive back there. I think his name was Matt. That ruined the charm of Chapel. Ain't been back since the first vehicle showed up. That ruined the charm. Stu, the Ranger before Matt, was a great old guy.

I still walk all over at Ressica. At least until they start letting amphibeous vehicles down to the water. And the Quill Gordons and blue Quills are still there

I still walk all over at Ressica. At least until they start letting amphibeous vehicles down to the water. And the Quill Gordons and blue Quills are still there

I could tell ya a story about a bunch of hippies at Little Falls on a mid week trip, but JackM would probably give me the boot:)

That Grannom cased caddis Afishanado put up on the first page is a beauty; it's not complicated to tie, yet looks buggy and realistic. I am going to do some of those before April.

I have to say I find the whole cased caddis issue about as cloudy as any in the bug literature. Some guys say they don't do behavioral drift. Other guys say they do, and in large numbers. Fortunately, it is agreed that trout like to eat them. Even if they aren't eating cased caddis at the time you're fishing, the patterns look plenty buggy to draw interest anyway.

Some sections of Penns Creek are lousy with cased caddis at times, and not just the grannoms. I once avoided wading a section simply because doing so would have smashed a bunch of them with what seemed like every step

99% of all aquatic insects drift at night. Some caddis do it by using a white silk like thread to move from rock to rock. remember insects fly upstream to mate and lay eggs. If they didn't drift there would be no hatches down stream, they would just move upstream till they run out of water. great reading in "Aquatic Entomology"

Back