Cased Caddis Pattern?

I'm looking for a cased caddis pattern. I'm a decent tyer, but don't want anything too complicated. I'd like to be able to get through a tie pretty quickly and move on. Any help is appreciated!

Here you go Ry. I've heard good things about this guys patterns. All the way down at the bottom of the page.

Marks Stick Caddis

This is the guy that just won the State fly tying competition at Harrisburg...they had a write up on him in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10052/1037190-358.stm

Boss

this is what i came up with -- i may have to tie more -- cased caddis

hook -- 9672 size 10
thread -- 6/0 olive
body -- turkey tail fibers wrapped around hook
rib -- gold wire
head -- ice dubbing -- caddis green
hackle -- grouse
bead -- black

then just add water...

fly%20boxes
[/url][/img]

Looks buggy enough...you will do well with that one...

Boss

Festus wrote:
I'm looking for a cased caddis pattern. I'm a decent tyer, but don't want anything too complicated. I'd like to be able to get through a tie pretty quickly and move on. Any help is appreciated!

Here you go Ry. I've heard good things about this guys patterns. All the way down at the bottom of the page.

Marks Stick Caddis

Festus but how do you tie that. That is my question.

Festus but how do you tie that. That is my question.

I've never tied it. Can't help you out. But I have a feeling that it's turkey tail that has been tied in and layered over a vernille chenille strip that has been singed and tied in as a tail. Looking at that pattern, I'm surmising that the turkey tail been been heavily sprayed with clear Krylon or a Flexament type of thing.

Appears to be a single length of chenille "poopa" style with various lengths of turkey quill tied in in layers.

A guy gave me a couple of his version once which was hot glue on a hook rolled in gravel or sticks he harvested from the creeks he planned to fish them in. They were pretty cool.

Here's an old-timer pattern that has worked well for me. I would guess it imitates a cased caddis. It's called the breadcrust:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=86

Attachments

• Breadcrust.JPG
    Breadcrust.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 1
Here's an old-timer pattern that has worked well for me. I would guess it imitates a cased caddis. It's called the breadcrust:

ACH! Afish you just beat me to the draw. Was just getting ready to post that one.:)

Yer slippin' partner. All that soft livin in the flatlands has sloan ya down.......

theflystop.com version of the breadcrust.

http://www.theflystop.com/store.cfm?page=products_detail&pid=400&nymphs

theflystop.com version of the breadcrust.

That's the Sri Lankan and Thai version. American tyers know better:)

Hey Sandly you have a heck of a good looking caddis pattern on your site, don't be bashful, it's the pupa pattern with the straggly sparce limp hackle.

Here's one of the first one's I tied of my new pattern. They're a bit better now, but just an idea of what I came up with.

Recipe:

sz 14 long shank nymph hook
Lead wrap for whole body
Wrap body with a few strands of pheasant tail with copper wire ribbing.
dub green nymph ice dubbing loosly or with dubbing loop.
tie in partridge for legs
Tie in ostrich hearl up to hook eye and finish.

tie the orange version, great imatation of the October caddis. ( you know the shri lanka version.lol)

Thanks little J, Dou you mean the grannom one?

Prolly talking about the one you "borrowed" off DeFranks site. You gonna show everyone how to tie that one or do they have to pay to come see it done by the "Old Master" hisself?:lol:

you got a problem with me /

you got a problem with me

Other than you being full of bull poop and my knowing all about it, and your refusal to take the time to help some of these new folks out unless you're pimping your Yarn Barn, the answer would be no.

me ! I have a buisness what do you have..you have been jealous since i started it. go back to your hole. screwed the jam up and screwed people up here and now you are at it again. how many forums have you been kick off, a few in this area I see. you are the one full of bull.

Back