Cased Caddis Pattern?

Don't care if they eat them or not...they eat the fly that represents them and that's good enough for me. Probably one of my favorite late fall and early spring flies.

May the messegeboard Gods forgive me for hijacking the thread. But this is neat. Jewelry made by a caddis larva.

Caddis season is coming soon. Figured I'd refresh this great thread.

Thanks for that. I've been tying a few different patterns of the cased caddis because I have found a bunch of these in a stream I will be fishing in a few weeks and also found a few in the stomachs of the two trout I killed from that stream. They are easy and fun to tie, and my seven year old can manage a few on the bench as well.

This time of year if you open up a Grannom case, it will probably either be empty, because it already hatched, or it will contain a pupae.

I could be wrong, but I think it's very unlikely that you would find a larva in the case, because they've already changed into pupae, getting ready to emerge.

That doesn't mean the fly wouldn't catch fish now, of course. All flies will catch some fish. But if you really want to imitate the naturals the trout will be seeing, you might tie pupae patterns instead.

troutbert wrote:
This time of year if you open up a Grannom case, it will probably either be empty, because it already hatched, or it will contain a pupae.

I could be wrong, but I think it's very unlikely that you would find a larva in the case, because they've already changed into pupae, getting ready to emerge.

That doesn't mean the fly wouldn't catch fish now, of course. All flies will catch some fish. But if you really want to imitate the naturals the trout will be seeing, you might tie pupae patterns instead.

Most cased caddis pupate within their case. When ready to emerge, they cut through it with their mandibles and swim or drift to the surface and emerge as adults. The pupae do not live outside their cases for any length of time. If you find empty cases, the caddis have already emerged.

Back