Cabin Fever Pastimes

Swattie87

Swattie87

Have only fished once so far in 2022 with the cold January we’ve had. Dealt with freezing lines pretty bad that day and called it quits after about 2 hours of a skunking. Seems like the relative warmups above freezing we’ve had have been during the work week, with cold fronts at the tail end of the week keeping things below freezing for the weekend.

Have taken up oil painting, wet on wet, Bob Ross basically. It’s holding me over on the weekends, but I’m ready to fish.

As a test of my rudimentary skills let’s see if anyone from the small stream crowd can guess what stream this double chute waterfall with a massive pool beneath it is on. The snowy March day a few years ago I last fished it and took the picture I painted off of was fitting with this last months’s weather. It’s not the biggest waterfall in PA by any stretch but it’s my favorite, with the large rock outcrops, double chutes, and stadium of hemlocks surrounding it.

Hint - Despite numerous high biomass Class A Wild BT surveys, it’s famous for discussions on here about how routinely poorly it fishes for the biomass of fish and the habitat. Which has largely been my experience as well.
95EBB569 6C85 4334 B399 BD78F7619D3B

Last edited:
Have only fished once so far in 2022 with the cold January we’ve had. Dealt with freezing lines pretty bad that day and called it quits after about 2 hours of a skunking. Seems like the relative warmups above freezing we’ve had have been during the work week, with cold fronts at the tail end of the week keeping things below freezing for the weekend.

Have taken up oil painting, wet on wet, Bob Ross basically. It’s holding me over on the weekends, but I’m ready to fish.

As a test of my rudimentary skills let’s see if anyone from the small stream crowd can guess what stream this double chute waterfall with a massive pool beneath it is on. The snowy March day a few years ago I last fished it and took the picture I painted off of was fitting with this last months’s weather. It’s not the biggest waterfall in PA by any stretch but it’s my favorite, with the large rock outcrops, double chutes, and stadium of hemlocks surrounding it.

Hint - Despite numerous high biomass Class A Wild BT surveys, it’s famous for discussions on here about how routinely poorly it fishes for the biomass of fish and the habitat. Which has largely been my experience as well. View attachment 1641224284
Bushkill Creek Ressica Falls maybe?

I started learning Spanish two years ago, studying it daily. Also do Sudoku and Wordle. And read.

I walk 5 to 7 miles every day. I wood/metal work, tie flies and jigs, reorganize tackle and throw away anything I didn’t like or didn’t use, clean rods and reels and I clean the house

Have been tying flies, cooking, watching hockey, work, sleep, do it again...

nice painting. my kid paints. i can't convey shadows or depth of any kind artisically. I can capture it, I just can't create it.

After my second winter retired I did not like the and decided to take a break this year. I'm down in Florida for two months. I really do enjoy being in the outdoors or just outside for that matter. Walking the dog in twenty degree weather is not my thing. My wife is still working and can do so from here. It really makes it nice.

Keeping busy walking the dog as mentioned, riding my bike, working on Paflyfish, webinars, photography, cooking for my wife. My days are pretty full and get amount 5-6 miles of walking in every day. I do need to get some up body exercising going for me.

After my second winter retired I did not like the and decided to take a break this year. I'm down in Florida for two months. I really do enjoy being in the outdoors or just outside for that matter. Walking the dog in twenty degree weather is not my thing. My wife is still working and can do so from here. It really makes it nice.

Keeping busy walking the dog as mentioned, riding my bike, working on Paflyfish, webinars, photography, cooking for my wife. My days are pretty full and get amount 5-6 miles of walking in every day. I do need to get some up body exercising going for me.
Good for you. That’s my plan.

The last number of years I’ve been obsessed with catching native trout and salmon of the US. I pour over books, maps and state fish and game websites looking for nuggets. It’s really best to speak with the biologists directly but reading these books and maps keep me very inspired.

Attachments

• 5183F34C-F4F4-4F7D-BBB2-62080A6B2DED.jpeg
    5183F34C-F4F4-4F7D-BBB2-62080A6B2DED.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 10
  • A2535F00-9439-433F-BEE6-67B7DD0D546D.jpeg
    A2535F00-9439-433F-BEE6-67B7DD0D546D.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 9
Yeah, it’s not Bushkill or Resica.

Class A BT stream on public land. Carbon County.

The wife and I also planned on spending the winter somewhere warm.
But with Omicron spreading like wildfire, we're still leary about long, lengthy trips right now.
Try to walk for an hour everyday - weather permitting - so that I don't get too much overweight.

Been tying flies like crazy. Got my boxes well stocked for the coming season.
Started tying leaders yesterday (boring)!

I like to practice fishing for next year during the winter. So I got a rowing machine and and 18 pack.

I posted this on the Gear Talk forum about my Garmin Instinct Watch. This is a new toy that I am learning. It is there entry level GPS watch, but more than good enough for me and what little I really do with it.

Just like a new cell phone or computer, you have to experiment with them to learn more about them, and I am doing that everyday.

As I have previously posted many times, I work at the Manheim Pennsylvania Auto Auction and feed cars to the Detail Shop. My day starts(6:30 am-3:00 pm) by walking to get cars/trucks/SUV's/etc. and drive them to the detail shop doors and do it all over again all day long.

I don't mind doing this at all. Walking is easy. It is all of the other B.S. that wears me out. I am keeping this job until I retire because I really need the company provided Aetna Health Care Insurance for my daughter and myself.

We both have Crohn's Disease and the Remicade Infusions would be >$11,000.00 per infusion for both of us every 8 weeks. Nobody could afford that.

My watch face is customized and I know what I do and what it tells me. So far today I have walked 25,007 steps/12.9 miles, and burned 2,686 calories. This is what the computer that I am typing on tells me when I plug the watch into it through the cable.

My day isn't even over yet. I still have to take my mother's dog for her nightly walk. The dog is old so a quick urination is good enough.

The watch zero's out at midnight, but starts counting my steps when I wake up to urinate, which happens often at age 63, especially if I have spent the evening drinking beer, which I like to do.

I am really into learning all of the GPS and navigation functions on this watch, and am getting good at it. I have always been into topographical map and orienteering compass navigation and now am getting even better at it.

All of this walking is very healthy and good for me. At my age, am 6' tall/170 lbs. and I don't drink light beer or watch what I eat. I am lean mean calorie burning machine. My cardiologist said that I have no artery blockage or heart disease, which is what killed my father.

I know that this was a long post, but it gives me something to do until warm Spring days finally arrive.

Started tying leaders yesterday (boring)!
Hadn't considered doing this. Been a long time since I lived close enough to somewhere I could run out and get enough stock to make some. I actually liked doing this waaayyy back when I did.

I like to practice fishing for next year during the winter. So I got a rowing machine and and 18 pack.
Having fished with you a bunch.... rowing needs work, you've got the 18 pack thing down pat.🤣

When I get cabin fever, I go to a fishing forum and get under everyone's skin 😁

Nice painting Swattie

Hadn't considered doing this. Been a long time since I lived close enough to somewhere I could run out and get enough stock to make some. I actually liked doing this waaayyy back when I did.
I mainly do it because I can't buy leaders like what I make.
It's a pretty distinctive formula.

Anyway, I'd much rather tie flies......

Back