Brodin landing nets

P

Phish_On

Im in the market for a new net. And the brodin trout net has caught my eye. Anyone have one, what do you like/dislike, worth the money? TIA-Joel

They are way over priced and incredibly nice. I enjoy mine very much.

I had/have a Frabill with the clear bag and it was so heavy I never carried it. The Brodin Ghost bag is a lot less weight and I will actually carry it from time to time.

Joel,

The rubber netting makes it worth getting. They are really nice nets.

To not anger others I will admit that I am NOT a paid sponsor for Stevens Nets but give them a look. They are made in Maine, offer a bunch of varieties, and will even custom make a net to your specs. We've used them to make several nets of varying sizes over the years.

I've had my Brodin for about 15 years now. It has held up really well. However, it was time for a refinish last winter. I sanded it down and refinished it. Then I picked up a "ghost" bag from Brodin and restrung it. Good as new. Hopefully, I can hand it down to my son in another 15 years. I'm digging the rubber replacement net. I'm not picking up every briar or burdock along the stream.

A few more quality net makers:

http://fisknat.com/

http://blueribbonnets.net/

I got a Brodin net for a TU donation a few years ago. Came with a long cloth bag that was kind of a PITA. Last winter I replaced the cloth bag with a Ghost bag ordered directly from Brodin. Love it now.

I greatly enjoyed my brodin, which was a gift. I pretty much agree with jdaddy's statement.

My brodin was sacrificed in a potentially life threatening wading accident on the bighorn. I wouldn't consider buying a replacement due to the cost, but am pretty bummed out about losing it.

Thanks guys! If I have some down time at work today I'm gunaa check out a few of the other net company's y'all have posted. I'm kinda leaning toward the brodin but Im gunna do a little more pokin around.

Brodin nets are IMHO the best,mine is 15 years old ,a catch & release net,could use a sand job i wouldn't know what to put on as a finish after sanding it though..i have heard linseed oil...not sure so she'll stay as she is,its been used alot but the net is bomb proof.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I agree with all of these guys. They are great nets. I plan on swapping out my cloth bag for one of the rubber ones. I recommend them. Not to thread-jack but is it difficult to change bags on Brodins?

Not difficult at all to change bags on the Brodin net. They used to have a video on their website but there was something wrong with it last time I checked. The replacement bag comes with the cord to "sew" it on the frame. Most importnat thing is to make sure the replacement bag is sized properly for your net diameter.

I used a Tru-Oil gunstock finish on mine. Works great. So far, tough as nails. Net replacement is easy. Like McSneek stated, make sure you measure the net size correctly.

Phish_On wrote:
Thanks guys! If I have some down time at work today I'm gunaa check out a few of the other net company's y'all have posted. I'm kinda leaning toward the brodin but Im gunna do a little more pokin around.
Check out "Wolf Moon Trout Nets". I have one. They are handcrafted in the USA (Wisconsin). Quality is excellent. They have several models available with rubber nets.

Here is a review of another type of landing net. It is made in a number of different sizes. I haven't tried one.

http://midcurrent.com/gear/review-nomad-fly-fishing-guide-net/

jayL wrote:
I greatly enjoyed my brodin, which was a gift. I pretty much agree with jdaddy's statement.

My brodin was sacrificed in a potentially life threatening wading accident on the bighorn. I wouldn't consider buying a replacement due to the cost, but am pretty bummed out about losing it.

Damn dude.

Sorry to hear about your loss jay, better your life then your net

CLSports wrote:
Does anyone have this Cortland one?
Cortland Net

Nope, but it looks pretty close to as nice as my Brodin which cost more than 3x as much.

I like the profile of the Brodin I have a bit more, though.

CLSports wrote:
Does anyone have this Cortland one?
Cortland Net

It would be interesting to see a weight on that one. I have an Frabill with a clear bag that I got from Cabelas. It was dreadfully heavy. The frame was solid hardwood. This Cortland is bamboo and the bag looks identical to the Brodin Ghost replacement bags for that size/shape Brodin. Based upon those factors I would think this has got to be a winner. I would likely buy one if I didn't have a Brodin.

I found a brodin net along spring creek about 7-8 years ago.
But it has the long cloth bag, and I've rarely used it
Other than that, it does seem pretty nice. But I wouldn't pay $80 for it - which I believe is the retail price.

Back