Boy that cried wolf or justified concern?

I used to love seeing the Lehigh hover around 500cfs before I had a boat. Could wade anywhere and access some hard to reach spots. Now I am annoyed because I don't feel like banging and dragging.

I don't bang and drag. If it's that low catching two additional fish isn't worth the damage I'm doing to the bottom of the boat. You do you but I'm going to be through season 6 before I have to refinish the bottom. Have a feeling it will be raft only this spring

All of this matters little now. Even the small streams still have plenty of water. The big streams get far lower than they currently are every summer. Temps aren’t an issue, and won’t be for at least another month, likely more. What happens in the next 6 weeks is far more important than the status quo now.

I’d rather have them relatively low now, than relatively low in June-Sept.

I don't bang and drag. If it's that low catching two additional fish isn't worth the damage I'm doing to the bottom of the boat. You do you but I'm going to be through season 6 before I have to refinish the bottom. Have a feeling it will be raft only this spring
My point is I won't be on the river banging and dragging.

Lancaster County stream are brutal. I stopped by Middle Creek again this morning. There are plenty of trout left but they are milling about in their bathtub. I attribute the occasional rise to them trying to get out. The state has another stocking of Hammer and the Lititz Sportsman's club has a number of stocking left. Soon it will look like the trout dump everyone is talking about. It looks like west of Lancaster County is getting some rain we could use. I was hoping to be fishing in the rain this morning.

Lancaster County stream are brutal. I stopped by Middle Creek again this morning. There are plenty of trout left but they are milling about in their bathtub. I attribute the occasional rise to them trying to get out. The state has another stocking of Hammer and the Lititz Sportsman's club has a number of stocking left. Soon it will look like the trout dump everyone is talking about. It looks like west of Lancaster County is getting some rain we could use. I was hoping to be fishing in the rain this morning.
Yea streams be lookin like Petsmart.

Concerned about how good the fishing is with low water? You bet.

Concerned about summer water temp mortality? No more or less than I would be if things were high right now. Not saying all will be well, but April flows have little to no effect on July-September flows and temps. I'll start getting anxious if things are way below average in June.

Relax everybody, I am sending you some rain, and maybe even a little bit of snow this week. No reason for me to have all the fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRB
We got heavy thunder everywhere around us and what is becoming the norm; .03 of an inch. Won't stream fish around here until we get actual rainfall. Meanwhile happiy the crappie are on a tear. Hoping for real rainfall for all!

🤷‍♂️ Supposed to rain here yesterday...nada. supposed to storm today. Nothing so far. We'll see. But hey, they're saying snow Monday night.

Dear Board,

We got I'm guessing at least 1/2 inch of rain yesterday along Rte 443 north of Harrisburg. But like it often does it came in 3 torrential 15-minute downpours. Driving Fishing Creek Valley today I can assure you that it had literally no effect on stream levels or clarity.

We need 4 days with 1/2 of rain per day spread out over the course of a day to do anything to moisten the soil around here.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

The lack of rain allowed me to get some stuff done outside. Just playing carpenter bee whiffle ball now.
Dear Tom,

I really need to burn all the branches that fell in my yard due to windstorms this Winter. Usually, I've been able to do that by now. Even with yesterday's rain I wouldn't dare trying it today, it's just too dry.

I may just pile them all up and toss them in the wooded patches in my yard for rabbit habitat. I've done that before too, but it seems to be a more frequent occurrence.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

We got some in hershey and spring creek headwater tribs still dry

The lack of rain allowed me to get some stuff done outside. Just playing carpenter bee whiffle ball now.
i make these traps. works well. all you have to do is catch one and the rest follow. i hang half a dozen around my house. and i catch hundreds by the time spring wraps up.
KIMG1273

KIMG1270

After sticking to stocked trout nearer to home the last few weeks I took a drive to the Lehigh valley this morning after seeing rain in the forecast for last night.

They got a lot more rain than we did near (north of) Philly. Stopped at the bushkill, was a muddy mess but the smaller creeks in the area were flowing well with a nice stain.

The fishing was good, got to think they were feeling comfortable with the better flows. Here's to more rain.

Last year, ran to my local Dick's sporting goods, picked up a nice badminton racket for about $20. Way more efficient and enjoyable. Seven swings, six carpenter bees. Also works wonderfully for lantern flies wasps or hornets.

Makes it cool sound when they bounce off the strings and you can yell....30-love mother effer 😂. My neighbor has one of those salt guns and is amazingly efficient. He can shoot them right out of the air.

So the mighty Wissahickon Creek in Fairmount was 66 F at 9 AM yesterday.... Days of record temps, no rain, and no leaf cover yet is a disaster. So many dead fish too, more than the usual death toll from mishandling, more like exhausted fish who've been acclimated to much colder hatchery water.

I bet the Commish has plans to unload a lot of fish in SEPA soon....

Last year, ran to my local Dick's sporting goods, picked up a nice badminton racket for about $20. Way more efficient and enjoyable. Seven swings, six carpenter bees. Also works wonderfully for lantern flies wasps or hornets.

Makes it cool sound when they bounce off the strings and you can yell....30-love mother effer 😂. My neighbor has one of those salt guns and is amazingly efficient. He can shoot them right out of the air.
I disagree. The "thunk" of a whiffle ball bat is much more satisfying. I think I get better distance with less shrapnel to.

Back