Best Fly Fishing Vehicle for Pennsylvania

DavidFin wrote:
I sell Subarus outside of Philly. If you need one PM me, I'll hook you up

I may take you up some day!

My fishing vehicle is a 2011 Forester. I can put a 10 footer in the back without breaking it down. I also have some pricey 10' one-piece surf rods that I like to lock up when I go eat or stop for a longer while.

All 'Rus can pull 2000 lbs too.

Mileage is not breathtaking with that engine, but I hear the newer ones do better? I get about 20 in the city and maybe 27 on the highway.

'13 F250 6.7 PSD crew cab w/ 8' bed. Plenty of room to carry all my gear lol!

I have a 17 Tacoma with a fiber glass cap on a 73" bed. Just enough room for me sleep in comfortably while fishing/camping.
Mine has the 4 cylinder engine, and the MPG isn't bad

I did give serious thought to getting a van. They're a little more efficient
However, I'm always doing remodeling projects around the house. And having a need to haul lumber and 4x8 sheets. And a truck is still the best vehicle for that too IMO

1996 Toyota T100 4x4 truck with 265000 miles. She's just like a timex, takes a beating and keeps on a tickin!!! Best truck Toyota ever made IMO!!

I didn't read all the prior posts so my comment may be redundant. However I have a 2014 Subaru Outback Limited with the 2.5 engine. I routinely get 33/34 mpg on the highway on my way to the WB Delaware. AWD, great ground clearance, plenty of cargo room, can sleep in the rear if tired from driving, and can easily put a couple of 9' rods inside the vehicle.

Mine has a 2200 pound towing capacity and I don't even feel the Lowe bass boat and motor or the Hyde while running at 60 mph. Also it has robust roof rack for kayaks or pontoon boats.

Nice!

I have owned some form of Jeep for about the last 25 years. At this point it's a 2015 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Limited. I really like the 4 cylinder engine. It has plenty of power and gets good mileage. All my gear goes easily in the back and even my 10 foot rods can be put in without breaking them down when moving to a new spot to fish.

I like my 2014 f150 four door with the 6.5ft bed. I can haul 5 anglers very comfortably, and a ton gear and rods broken in half can fit in the bed. Bad part is the gas mileage..

Just the thought of needing a special vehicle just for fishing boggles the mind!

Just purchased a 2016 Nissan Altima, + or - 40 MPG. The next best to that would be my bicycle which I may pass gas a couple of times inroute to the local creek.

joebamboo wrote:
Just the thought of needing a special vehicle just for fishing boggles the mind!

Good point. I was thinking the same thing.

I hope newbies to flyfishing don't read threads like this and conclude that they need a "fly fishing vehicle."

I've done a lot of fishing in remote areas, driving rough roads on state forests and gamelands, bumping along rr access roads, etc.

In a Honda Civic.

It's nice to have a 4wd high clearance vehicle for some of the roughest forest roads.

But most of the state forest roads you can drive in a regular car and many people do.

I read a journal of a flyfishermen from NC PA from the 1940s and he talked about his car and the other cars that fellow flyfishers drove and they were all just regular cars.

I don't think 4wd vehicles were available much at all until after WWII ended, when army surplus jeeps became available.

And the forest roads were probably much worse back then than now.

I'm considering getting a spin fishing vehicle to go along with my FFing vehicle (Tacoma).

troutbert wrote:
I've done a lot of fishing in remote areas, driving rough roads on state forests and gamelands, bumping along rr access roads, etc.

In a Honda Civic.

It's nice to have a 4wd high clearance vehicle for some of the roughest forest roads.

But most of the state forest roads you can drive in a regular car and many people do.

I read a journal of a flyfishermen from NC PA from the 1940s and he talked about his car and the other cars that fellow flyfishers drove and they were all just regular cars.

I don't think 4wd vehicles were available much at all until after WWII ended, when army surplus jeeps became available.

No doubt - this is a good point about anglers in the past getting around with older cars which were rear wheel drive, on belted bias ply tires, and driving roads that were likely pretty rough. I recall an old article from the 1950s reminding anglers that if they head up to fish the streams in some parts of wild PA that they needed to pay special attention to tire condition and NEVER fish without a good spare tire.

As I mentioned before I drove all over PA in the 80s and 90s with rear drive, low clearance vehicles.

joebamboo wrote:

Of course you don't.
When I go out just for the day, I often take my wife's car - a honda fit that gets almost twice the mileage of my tacoma.
However, when on an extended trip - and I'm staying overnight - my truck is my RV

Your fishin' / huntin' / campin' vehicle is like a friend. It takes you on every adventure you plan both near and far.

Last week I traded in my (yellow!) 2007 FJ Cruiser. They don't make them anymore, making them really in demand right now because it's a true down and dirty off-roader that many guys want. I figured I would trade it in while it had value, and got a ridiculous amount of money for a 10 year old / 120K mile trade-in vehicle.

I sat in my FJ for a while at the dealership before I turned it in. I remembered all the good times we had together and how my FJ got me there and back....and never let me down.

I got a good deal and chose a 2017 Honda Ridgeline Pickup. I really never go off-road and felt I needed more room and better mileage from a vehicle. I expect a lot from a vehicle since I plan to keep them for ten years or more and I trust Honda as well as Toyota and Subaru to last for a decade or more.

I now can load my kayak in the bed, use it to haul plywood or lumber for projects and plan to drop a tent in it for overnight camping. It's a lot fancier than my FJ and has all the latest doo-dads, electronics and amenities found in new vehicles.

I do miss my old friend, but I'm looking forward to new adventures with my new one.

Attachments

• FJ in action at the 2017 Jam.jpg
    FJ in action at the 2017 Jam.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 4
Dave_W wrote:
troutbert wrote:

In a Honda Civic.

No doubt - this is a good point about anglers in the past getting around with older cars which were rear wheel drive, on belted bias ply tires, and driving roads that were likely pretty rough. I recall an old article from the 1950s reminding anglers that if they head up to fish the streams in some parts of wild PA that they needed to pay special attention to tire condition and NEVER fish without a good spare tire.

As I mentioned before I drove all over PA in the 80s and 90s with rear drive, low clearance vehicles.

Ditto that. My choice of vehicle usually boiled down to the one where I will get the least amount of grief from my wife, if I bring it back filthy.

But now I have the old F-150. Wife only drove it once and didn't particularly like it. PERFECT!

I hear that Ford will be resurrecting the Bronco in 2020? This I will be checking out as my retirement vehicle.

Flyfishing and every outdoor activity for that matter, has fallen prey to the folks at marketing inc. In other words it's all about being told that having all the special gear will make life better. It's funny how the older generation could flyfish or camp or ride a bike without some special clothing or protective gear. Now everyone has to be all suited up in special attire and drive a special fishing car. Of course it's all about consumerism, materialism and making a buck. The new America! Beware "the best" in any product.

afishinado wrote:
Your fishin' / huntin' / campin' vehicle is like a friend. It takes you on every adventure you plan both near and far.

Last week I traded in my (yellow!) 2007 FJ Cruiser. They don't make them anymore, making them really in demand right now because it's a true down and dirty off-roader that many guys want. I figured I would trade it in while it had value, and got a ridiculous amount of money for a 10 year old / 120K mile trade-in vehicle.

I sat in my FJ for a while at the dealership before I turned it in. I remembered all the good times we had together and how my FJ got me there and back....and never let me down.

I got a good deal and chose a 2017 Honda Ridgeline Pickup. I really never go off-road and felt I needed more room and better mileage from a vehicle. I expect a lot from a vehicle since I plan to keep them for ten years or more and I trust Honda as well as Toyota and Subaru to last for a decade or more.

I now can load my kayak in the bed, use it to haul plywood or lumber for projects and plan to drop a tent in it for overnight camping. It's a lot fancier than my FJ and has all the latest doo-dads, electronics and amenities found in new vehicles.

I do miss my old friend, but I'm looking forward to new adventures with my new one.

I'm going to miss that FJ . I remember when we went around the mountain at penns back when the jam was at coburn that was a steep climb. I have some many fishing memories that started with me getting into that truck . I'm going to miss it :pint:

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Flyfishing and every outdoor activity for that matter, has fallen prey to the folks at marketing inc. In other words it's all about being told that having all the special gear will make life better. It's funny how the older generation could flyfish or camp or ride a bike without some special clothing or protective gear. Now everyone has to be all suited up in special attire and drive a special fishing car. Of course it's all about consumerism, materialism and making a buck. The new America! Beware "the best" in any product.

I did not see anyone espousing the virtues of a "special fishing car". Or insinuating that anyone needs elite transport to fish. I did see some personal preferences and practical conveniences of various kinds of vehicles. I happen to like that I can sit on the rear bumper of my vehicle with the hatchback open in a pouring rain and stay absolutely dry - no drips even. Found that out well after I bought my vehicle and it was not listed in any glossy, but I buy used, so the marketing materials are yesterday's fad by the time I buy the vehicle.

Who needs a vehicle? Why not trot around in a horse and buckboard?

I agree materialism sucks. So does constant negativity.

Back