Best Fly Fishing Vehicle for Pennsylvania

Awesome seeing the love for International Scouts. That's a bucket list rebuild. IF I could find one that isn't rusted into dust.

Interesting Thread, my present Fishmobile is a 2000 Ford Explorer, 4X4, 4dr, V6, Auto with 267K miles. To say the least time is not on my side. So far it is the best overall fishing vehicle I've had, get's me anywhere I want to be (4X4, ground clearance), room for two and all equipment on a one week camping/fishing trip (8o cubic feet with seats folded), decent MPG (+/- 20 hwy), acceptable ride, holds set-up 10' fly rods and can be slept in. Would replace it with another but for one downer, U-Haul will not rent a trailer to be hauled by an Explorer? They will rent if you have a Mercury/Lincoln/Mazda version which are clones. This was a problem when I had to move my son back from Arizona, almost had to buy a used horse trailer.
Thinking of mid size to full size SUV with 4X4, mid to full size VAN with 4x4 or AWD (can be converted to camper).
I believe Subareas would be too small as would Escapes, RAV 4's, Etc.
Any other suggestions?

Swattie87 wrote:
Dave - What'd you buy? May have been mentioned before elsewhere but I either missed it, or forgot. :pint:

I was always impressed with the amount of gear/camping equipment that spilled out of your Mustang at the Jam.

Yeah, I miss the ole Mustang.
With the seats down there was a lot of space, I could sleep in the back (and often did).

She was my daily driver for 15 years; parked outside and driven in winter, and finally at 345K she just gave up. :-(

I drove the Mustang on many fishing trips, including four drives from PA to the Florida Keys with yaks on top, and many drives to New England. She only dropped me two times in all those years: both were fishing trips and one of them was when I was returning from the LJ with 3wt7X when the alternator failed.
She was a great fishing car, the likes of which I'll never know again. I drove all over PA and the eastern US in that car, often accompanied by my best fishin buddy, Benny (The Incredible Fly Fishing Weiner Dog). I miss those days.

These days, I'm driving a 2011 Escape as I like my Fords. This vehicle is slightly modified with an upgraded kayak roof rack and mild AT tires. A great fishing vehicle and easy daily driver; good in the snow and dirt roads...but the Mustang, she'll never match.

Attachments

• BlastfromthePast.jpg
    BlastfromthePast.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 4
My 2002 Silverado has served me well for the last ten years. It gets me anywhere I need to go, and with 192,000 miles still looks new. I do baby it. :-D

Attachments

• IMG_2656 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2656 (Custom).JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 3
Moosehead_Belle wrote:
Interesting Thread, my present Fishmobile is a 2000 Ford Explorer, 4X4, 4dr, V6, Auto with 267K miles. To say the least time is not on my side. So far it is the best overall fishing vehicle I've had, get's me anywhere I want to be (4X4, ground clearance), room for two and all equipment on a one week camping/fishing trip (8o cubic feet with seats folded), decent MPG (+/- 20 hwy), acceptable ride, holds set-up 10' fly rods and can be slept in. Would replace it with another but for one downer, U-Haul will not rent a trailer to be hauled by an Explorer? They will rent if you have a Mercury/Lincoln/Mazda version which are clones. This was a problem when I had to move my son back from Arizona, almost had to buy a used horse trailer.
Thinking of mid size to full size SUV with 4X4, mid to full size VAN with 4x4 or AWD (can be converted to camper).
I believe Subareas would be too small as would Escapes, RAV 4's, Etc.
Any other suggestions?

Uhaul will let you tow behind an explorer 2011 and newer.

Good News about U-Haul and the newer Explores.
I'll check it out.
MB

It seems these two attractive and useful vehicles have been overlooked.......
Pontiac Aztec and the PT Cruiser. Stunning vehicles

krayfish2 wrote:
It seems these two attractive and useful vehicles have been overlooked.......
Pontiac Aztec and the PT Cruiser. Stunning vehicles

Breathtaking....

^^^ Forgot the Element.

How about any vehicle taking me to fish?

For the vast majority of streams you can reach by car, helps to have SUV or truck.

I think cars are like food, drink and music- too individual. Ha, and fly fishing tactics and ties and gear!!!

1966 Ford Fairlane wagon took my boys and I on many trips to Penns for trout and Juniata for bass. No need to break down fly rods and we pulled our boat hundreds of miles with it. It finally caught fire on the boat ramp below Conowingo Dam. I put out the fire by pouring a bucket of minnows and crayfish on the engine. That was the end.

No four wheel drive or air conditioning. We did not have any advertisements for expensive flyfishing gear or cooler decals on the back window. Of course that was a long time ago and things were different then.

Now I have a sporty 2017 Ford escape. Works great and I ride in perfect comfort and arrive at the stream fresh as a daisy after a 3 hr trip. It pulls my small inflatables on a trailer just fine and gets good gas mileage and most important i do not have to break down 9 ft rods.

Seems any vehicle can be used. Who knew.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:

Now I have a sporty 2017 Ford escape. Works great and I ride in perfect comfort and arrive at the stream fresh as a daisy after a 3 hr trip. It pulls my small inflatables on a trailer just fine and gets good gas mileage and most important i do not have to break down 9 ft rods.

Think I passed you recently. Yeti and Patagonia stickers on the right side of rear window and a Simms license plate frame that says "Cold feet are for weddings" right?

I drive an 03 silver subaru legacy, if you see my car at the little j dont be afraid to come fish

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
1966 Ford Fairlane wagon took my boys and I on many trips to Penns for trout and Juniata for bass. No need to break down fly rods and we pulled our boat hundreds of miles with it. It finally caught fire on the boat ramp below Conowingo Dam. I put out the fire by pouring a bucket of minnows and crayfish on the engine. That was the end.

No four wheel drive or air conditioning. We did not have any advertisements for expensive flyfishing gear or cooler decals on the back window. Of course that was a long time ago and things were different then.

AC....4wd....Big carbon footprint!

He's in the escape with 2nd amendment stickers plastered all over the back of it.

I have a 1991 Volvo 240 wagon. The odometer broke several years ago with 269K. It goes anywhere and has never let me down. Only problem, my wife and kids refuse to drive in the car. The result being that I have my very own personal fishing vehicle and couldn't be happier.

I think even a geotracker would be a fun little fishing vehicle

Back