Best Fly Fishing Vehicle for Pennsylvania

afishinado wrote:
Last week I traded in my (yellow!) 2007 FJ Cruiser.
I do miss my old friend, but I'm looking forward to new adventures with my new one.

It's a sad day in the PAFF community - many good memories with that vehicle.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Flyfishing and every outdoor activity for that matter, has fallen prey to the folks at marketing inc. In other words it's all about being told that having all the special gear will make life better. It's funny how the older generation could flyfish or camp or ride a bike without some special clothing or protective gear. Now everyone has to be all suited up in special attire and drive a special fishing car. Of course it's all about consumerism, materialism and making a buck. The new America! Beware "the best" in any product.

Fox, you seem to be getting old, very fast.

The activities haven't fallen prey to marketing inc., but some of the participants seem to have. Mainly just the more shallow ones, though. ;-)

Sure, It's become a fad. But I didn't give it up shortly after "The movie," and have seen nothing since that would cause me to do so.

I remember when my little sister (the lawyer) went fishing where "the movie" was filmed. It was the first time ever she fished, let along fly-fished. Paid for by her firm.

She was anxious to tell me all about it, thinking I would be jealous, or at least excited. But first she told my wife, who told her I wouldn't be impressed.

When little sis finally told me where she fished, I said: "So?"

Wife said "told you so."

I did of course listen to her story and attempted to be interested. Hey, I am not that rude, at least not all the time.;-)

I say, to each their own.

The fad means more people in the sport, which means more quality used stuff out there for me.

Breathable waders came out of marketing inc, which IMO is a good thing. The old neoprene waders made me look fat. ;-)

Some of you are getting quite crotchety. ;-)

Dog days have arrived I guess.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Flyfishing and every outdoor activity for that matter, has fallen prey to the folks at marketing inc. In other words it's all about being told that having all the special gear will make life better. It's funny how the older generation could flyfish or camp or ride a bike without some special clothing or protective gear. Now everyone has to be all suited up in special attire and drive a special fishing car. Of course it's all about consumerism, materialism and making a buck. The new America! Beware "the best" in any product.

My dad is part of that older generation. He hunted as a young man and when I was a kid and big enough I used to love to wear his old Woolrich black and red plaid hunting coat outside in the winter. It had matching pants. Although it was 100% wool and weighed a ton I'm sure it was considered "special clothing" or "special attire" back in it's day. My point is special gear for outdoor activities has been around forever. Just because people have tried to improve upon it doesn't mean you should turn your nose up at it.

You should move off the grid to the Alaskan backwoods or somewhere if these material things bother you so much.

salmonoid wrote:

I agree materialism sucks. So does constant negativity.

Amen

McSneek wrote:
foxtrapper1972 wrote:

My dad is part of that older generation. He hunted as a young man and when I was a kid and big enough I used to love to wear his old Woolrich black and red plaid hunting coat outside in the winter. It had matching pants. Although it was 100% wool and weighed a ton I'm sure it was considered "special clothing" or "special attire" back in it's day. My point is special gear for outdoor activities has been around forever. Just because people have tried to improve upon it doesn't mean you should turn your nose up at it.

You should move off the grid to the Alaskan backwoods or somewhere if these material things bother you so much.

Well said, gear has been tailormade to individual activities for ever. Technology has just made it better.
No-one has to go buy the top of the line stuff, you can fish with a 40$ wal-mart rod, but a better rod performs better.
There is a line where performance dwindles and price continues to go up though, that is where I dont have interest in, flashy, eye-pleasing things dont interest me much, as long as there is performance and quality in a product who cares.

I think if Foxtrapper goes camping he sleeps in a musty old canvas tent that leaks like a sieve or maybe even a teepee made out of buffalo hide he tanned himself. lol.

McSneek wrote:
I think if Foxtrapper goes camping he sleeps in a musty old canvas tent that leaks like a sieve or maybe even a teepee made out of buffalo hide he tanned himself. lol.

I think Foxy said he sleeps under the stars and goes au natural :-o ...so he usually camps alone :oops:

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 3
I would have thought that FD would have given us a picture of his tractor, and not his horse drawn buggy.

Hey...Which one are you FD?

The one pulling the wagon. GG

I couldn't resist Dave. Teasing as you know. GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
I couldn't resist Dave. Teasing as you know. GG

Hell, I took it as a complement.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cool: ;-) :pint: GG

Just traded my 2014 Tacoma with 27k for $3k less than what I paid for it new 3 years ago. Crazy how they hold their value. Toyota will certify it, extend the warranty, and likely sell it again for close to what I paid for it new. Nuts.

Got a 4Runner this time. SR5 Premium 4WD. Hose out convenience of the bed was nice on the Taco but the 4Runner is more practical for most else at this point in life. I'll just buy a tote to transport waders and boots to contain the mess.

FWIW: take a look at these. I put a set in the 05 Tahoe when I got it 10 years back. Carpet still looks like new and the dirt is an easy cleanup. GG

Swattie87 wrote:
Got a 4Runner this time. SR5 Premium 4WD. Hose out convenience of the bed was nice on the Taco but the 4Runner is more practical for most else at this point in life. I'll just buy a tote to transport waders and boots to contain the mess.

I got Weathertech mats for the driver and front passenger floors and got a liner for the trunk of my 4Runner. The trunk liner has a nice lip on it that contains water and dirt from wet wading gear. Easily removed and cleaned with water or just a stiff brush.

Been happy with my 2016 4Runner so far. Purchased in December of '15. I have 38k miles on it already.

Yeah, this one's coming with the all-weather mats as the only option above the base Premium package. It was the least optioned out SR5 Premium they could find. Most of them have sunroofs and running boards, and the 3rd row seat or cargo tray that I didn't want, or want to pay for. I'm sure they won't be Weathertechs, but we'll see how they do.

Swattie87 wrote:
Yeah, this one's coming with the all-weather mats as the only option above the base Premium package. It was the least optioned out SR5 Premium they could find. Most of them have sunroofs and running boards, and the 3rd row seat or cargo tray that I didn't want, or want to pay for. I'm sure they won't be Weathertechs, but we'll see how they do.

I didn't get the Premium package. Thought that would just look too ostentatious when I pulled up to the stream in it. :-D Mine does have a sun roof and basic running boards.

Back