Best Fly Fishing Vehicle for Pennsylvania

I use a 2002 Ford Focus wagon. 30mpg, good storage space, gotta break down a 9' rod, but generally that's not a problem for me anyway.

I do miss my 850 wagon, though.

I've had several Volvo wagons from 240s to the xc70s and give them a thumbs up. But the xc70s are now discontinued... there are v60 and v90 cross countries in the wagon world to take its place.

i drive an early 2000's land rover disco 2. huge amounts of room, can be slept in, great off-road, but not so hot on fuel consumption.

afishinado wrote:
foxtrapper1972 wrote:
1966 Ford Fairlane wagon took my boys and I on many trips to Penns for trout and Juniata for bass. No need to break down fly rods and we pulled our boat hundreds of miles with it. It finally caught fire on the boat ramp below Conowingo Dam. I put out the fire by pouring a bucket of minnows and crayfish on the engine. That was the end.

No four wheel drive or air conditioning. We did not have any advertisements for expensive flyfishing gear or cooler decals on the back window. Of course that was a long time ago and things were different then.

Now I have a sporty 2017 Ford escape. Works great and I ride in perfect comfort and arrive at the stream fresh as a daisy after a 3 hr trip. It pulls my small inflatables on a trailer just fine and gets good gas mileage and most important i do not have to break down 9 ft rods.

AC....4wd....Big carbon footprint!

I know you are just busting chops, but I had a 2014 with ecoboost which is basically the same. It had a small 4 cylinder with a turbo. Peppy and fuel efficient. Mine was the 2WD version and averaged about 30 mpg in winter and probably 33 in summer. Carbon footprint? LOL! It was worse than the Focus I had before that which averaged about 37 mpg, but I'm a big guy and got tired of crawling out of that thing.

I liked Escape except it was terrible in snow because of the traction control. You could disable it, but it wasn't a simple thing. So, when it snowed, I drove the 2014 Exploder which I did decide to keep. Plus they used very cheap brakes on the back of the Escape which I had to replace at about 20K miles. That's right I did say rear brakes and 20K miles. If not for that, I may have bought it at the end of the lease. Instead, I gave it back and bought a 2007 F-150 2wd regular cab, long bed. Great farm truck. No idea what the fuel economy is, and frankly I don't care. It hauls way more straw and firewood than the escape, or the focus. It's a truck, dammit! ;-)

I have an '08 Tacoma v6 with the full 4 doors. Works pretty well for fishing. I use rod/reel holders for 2 piece rods and break my rods in 1/2 but I dont remove my flies to move between spots. Its been a good truck with 125k miles its only cost me $600 in repairs outside of regular maintenance items. Probably one of the least expensive vehicles I have ever owned. It's gone everywhere I have asked it to and it hasn't left me stranded. Down side the gas mileage is disappointing at ~18-20 highway and 16 city.

With a growing family and possibly a travel trailer in the next 5 years I am looking at full size 1/2 tons. Many have more space and get better mileage. I am leaning towards tundra's even though they get similar mileage to what I currently have but they have way more space.

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4 x 4. Love it. I use it as an every day driver. Great on the beach too.

Still looking???

00d0d_dYheycCGDuq_600x450.jpg

00s0s_e85wgHgFpah_600x450.jpg

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/6200211344.html

1996 Pontiac Firebird WS6 LT1 punched out to 383 cubic inches with 6 speed if destination doesn't involve SF roads/offroading. Still gets 25mpg in 6th gear @70mph, and you can get there fast. If I'm getting off the grid, then its the 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L with Z71 offroad package...155k and still going strong :pint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiuLvLobAs4

I vote for my 2010 Tacoma 4x4 quad cab, dark green, 6 foot bed (carpeted & padded) with matching cap & Yakima roof rack for a canoe.

It's been rock steady and really convenient, except when parking in overcrowded shopping centers.

It's still under 90k mikes so just breaking in. :)

Major gripe: crappy gas mileage: 16 mpg.

How about a hybrid pick-up truck?? Mileage in the high 20s would be nice. My wife is not happy when I take her Prius fishing.

Wild_Trouter wrote:
1996 Pontiac Firebird WS6 LT1 punched out to 383 cubic inches with 6 speed if destination doesn't involve SF roads/offroading. Still gets 25mpg in 6th gear @70mph, and you can get there fast. If I'm getting off the grid, then its the 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L with Z71 offroad package...155k and still going strong :pint:

I love that car!!!

I like the Outback if the roads are rough. If not I go topless in the Porsche.

Attachments

• 944.jpg
    944.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 4
Fly-Swatter wrote:
I vote for my 2010 Tacoma 4x4 quad cab, dark green, 6 foot bed (carpeted & padded) with matching cap & Yakima roof rack for a canoe.

It's been rock steady and really convenient, except when parking in overcrowded shopping centers.

It's still under 90k mikes so just breaking in. :)

Major gripe: crappy gas mileage: 16 mpg.

How about a hybrid pick-up truck?? Mileage in the high 20s would be nice. My wife is not happy when I take her Prius fishing.

why only 16mpg?

I've had two 4x4 Tacomas with the 4.0 V6. First one (automatic) was rarely under 20. Saw the 22-23 range on occasion. Second one (manual) is getting in the 19's most tanks, though it gets over 20 with reasonable frequency. It got 21.5 on a recent tank that was mostly cruising 50-60 in high gear (basically ideal mpg circumstances) on back roads in WV.

I've had tanks on both of them in the 17-18 range but it was always Winter time with a good bit of 4x4 use for those tanks. Definitely surprised to hear someone averaging just with 16 with that setup.

FS - Do you have an aggressive right foot combo'd with a lot of city driving?

Porsche Cayenne Diesel. I routinely get > 30 mpg. Last time I came home from Potter the trip computer read 38.5 mpg. 700 miles on a tank of fuel. Love it.

Compare prices of high-end pickups and SUVs/CUVs these days and it isn't much more.

Just bought an '04 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. Taking it on its maiden voyage tomorrow. But I can see this thing being a hoss of a fishing vehicle.

Back