Bad news for virginia

Price of hatcheries. Wonder how many got stocked into the wild? Its like here in pa, many co-op hatcheries that get their fish from spring creek PFBC hatcheries just happen to have New Zealand mud-snails in the water ways they drain into.

mud-snails are not the product of the hatcheries but from the high quality streams that are in the State College area.
Fisherpeople are the cause for spreading mud snails.

mud-snails are not the product of the hatcheries but from the high quality streams that are in the State College area.
Fisherpeople are the cause for spreading mud snails.
Sure thats a definite mode of transport but there is no denying that coop hatcheries that get fish from spring creek hatcheries also have em. Gill lice would be just another example of cost of hatcheries pick anyone one ya want there is no polishing this turd

The state tests our co-op regularly for gill lice. Any co-op that tests positive is immediately shut down!

The state tests our co-op regularly for gill lice. Any co-op that tests positive is immediately shut down!
And like i said you cannot polish the hatchery turd. There is no “responsible” way to propagate disease ridden invasive species and litter them in waterways we want to conserve native fish, amphibians, crustaceans, and macro-invertebrates in.

All these tests and stocking “boundaries” are just for pseudo plausible deniability as the damage occurs to help those aiding this travesty to fuel their sporting preferences sleep at night

Why do you "assume" that all hatchery fish are disease ridden? If hatchery fish are found to be infected, they are destroyed, not stocked and, the hatchery is shut down period!
There are plenty of "native trout waters" for you native only guys!

Why do you "assume" that all hatchery fish are disease ridden? If hatchery fish are found to be infected, they are destroyed, not stocked and, the hatchery is shut down period!
Number one the native trout waters are not so I can go fish for them, unfortunately fishing always becomes the thing people have attempted to dangle in-front of people to try to get conservation initiatives accepted that seek to just keep a native species from going locally or globally extinct. Second, its not a question of if with hatcheries and diseases its a question of when diseases are transmitted. These are super crowded conditions where fish moved all over the country in some cases are packed, disease will result. Same thing happens with human beings with viruses and bacteria in tight quarters it’s inevitable. We don’t always destroy them, we didn’t with mud-snails. PFBC did their quarantine and said they cannot guarantee lack of transmission from those fish (statement i got from hatchery personnel). Even if they are destroyed you do not find disease before they transmit some where in majority of cases. With pathogens rna tests in trout can turn positive before you even find kidney lesions on pathology slides/dissection or see outward signs of disease so no testing is often triggered until late stages of an illness or scheduled testing and by that point its often to late.

That is simply incorrect. As the link that I have shared shows that many PFBC fish hatcheries test positive for several diseases.

The PFBC has grown too dependent on those who fish for stocked trout to possibly lose those customers by destroying diseased fish, or closing a hatchery to clean and disinfect it.

Almost every single trout hatchery in the state tests positive for IPN. We saw just last year that fish were stocked from hatcheries infested with NZM, and that there was no guarantee that NZM couldn’t be transmitted by stocking fish from that facility.

I don't think anyone knows this for certain, but based on the data available (2005 range-wide assessment), there are approximately 5,233 HUC12 watersheds listed as allopatric out of roughly 62,688 HUC12 watersheds in the state. I know for certain a significant number of those subwatersheds listed as allopatric aren't. If I had to wager, I'd estimate it's more like +/- 3,000 HUC12's instead of 5,200.

Regardless, even if we go with those numbers, that means a little over 8% of all the subwatersheds are "native trout waters," and roughly 92% are not "native trout waters."

Hardly what I'd qualify as "plenty."

the psychology at work in the stocked invasive trout apologist camp doesn’t allow for reality, just extreme avoidance of realty. Think about the level of conditioning it takes falsely reinforcing that hatcheries are a requirement for for fishing opportunities or a worthwhile experience. Then 10-20-30 years and 250,000 gallons of PFBC cool aid later you take someone make them aware that….

A. These are some of the most highly invasive species on planet earth(top 100 or top 30 most harmful out of 5000).

B. They spread disease which is proven in the literature over and over

C. They coat exorbitant amounts of money and opportunity cost of that money as far as potentially impactful projects for fishing or conservation instead.

Watching someone defend the hatchery system despite A,B and C over and over again fiercely without a leg to stand on except “ I like it” is some powerful conditioning. To the point people will just make things up and stick to those statements even when presented with facts.

So, the solution is, end hatchery fish. Those who are prefer fishing for "stocked" fish for whatever reason are punished. Those who chose only natives get to enjoy the sport.
Yes, everyone can fish for natives, but, many are not able to because of health and other reasons. To hell with them?

Watching our "expert intellectuals" on the site demean and belittle those who disagree is actually pathetic.

So, the solution is, end hatchery fish. Those who are prefer fishing for "stocked" fish for whatever reason are punished. Those who chose only natives get to enjoy the sport.
Yes, everyone can fish for natives, but, many are not able to because of health and other reasons. To hell with them?

Watching our "expert intellectuals" on the site demean and belittle those who disagree is actually pathetic.
Why is it always immediately to the extremes? Stocked trout already have the lion's share of the state. I just presented that in % numbers based on the only available data on the subject. Your camp already won and has had its way for decades.

It shouldn't be about what people want anyway, but even if it is, you already have 92% of the state, and any threat to that is extremism? To hell with conservation or anything other than entertainment and what the majority wants.

going to extremes and shifting away from the actual issue displays that you have nothing left but to paint a doomsday scenario.

Your logic is crazy. No hatcheries = everyone has to fish for native fish? Our streams are making all kinds of wild invasive fish to fish for so your position is we need to add more?

The problem with your doomsday scenario is it doesn’t acknowledge hatcheries suppress reproduction of catchable fish. Rivers are not catching on fire they make plenty of native and invasive fish to catch. You are going to have a harder and harder time trying to sell this doomsday scenario of these financially and ecologically FUBAR hatcheries shutting down. Its sad that you think any one literate and willing to read what real experts discover through research is an “intellectual expert”.

People with health issues don’t need stocked trout to catch fish trout don’t have to be unlimited, thats you imposing your silly standard to fish on disabled people

Not to divert, but whirling disease was a big thing out west about 30 years back. I haven’t heard much about it since. My recollection is that it had greater impact on rainbows than the rest. I’m sure that Troutbert will know.

Study number 26 in the USGS guide to impacts of invasive trout on brook trout will answer your question

Back