Abel Trout Series Light

turkey

turkey

Does anyone have any experience with the Abel Trout Series Light reels? Just curious to see what anyone has to say about them. Thanks.

Attachments

• abel_TR_light.jpg
    abel_TR_light.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 34
They are sweet reels that are made very well. A bunch of guys on here will tell you there is no reason to spend that much coin on a trout reel and to some degree their right. I own a couple Abels and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you got the extra coin and want one of the best reels around go for it you won't regret it.

Get the skull and cross bones paint job! I want wanna those so bad.

Don't let ole Chimmy's buddies spool your reel, though.

I'd bite on an Abel Creek with the skulll, still....although I think I'd probably buy a used Hardy for the cash.

There's also cheaper clones available: http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/onlineshop-fly_reels-red_truck_fly_reels

I would also look at the Creek series. You can switch between LA and SA spools for different line weights. They both have the same click pawl.

Either one are great reels. It's pretty cool that all the machining from the reel itself down to the screws are all done in house.

If you have the coin to get one, do it.

Paging tilt. Pretty sure he has that reel.

I wouldn't pay what they are asking, but I'd definitely use one if it was cheap. They sound very good when a trout takes a run, and to me, that's important.

just a disclaimer, I don't NEED a new reel...I have a BBSI and a (Korean built) Featherweight...both of which I can just buy a spare spool for and use. I was just browsing ultralight setups and I saw an Abel TR and wondered what all the fuss was over this brand.

I never wouldve even been looking at this stuff if it wasn't for a certain 2wt...RJimmy...what did you have on that Superfine TB? That rod is literally 1oz. I believe.

gfen, I love that skull graphic too. Too bad its an additional $200. I've looked at those Red Trucks before. I haven't heard much on how they hold up though.

tennjed, I like the Creeks but the reason I was looking at the TR Light was that it was almost an ounce lighter. That video is great. I got my start doing finish surface grinding to some VERY tight tolerances, then I ended up running CNC milling centers. If I was making reels back then, I wouldve probably tried to stick with it.

I had a CFO1 on it. They worked well together.

RowJimmy wrote:
I had a CFO1 on it. They worked well together.

hmmmmm...I held one of those. I like them too. They look nicer in person than online.

turkey wrote:
hmmmmm...I held one of those. I like them too. They look nicer in person than online.

The oldest CFOs were Hardy made, and had very similar springs and pawls (ie, the same part). Later CFOs were made by BFR (British Fly Reels, not Hardy). The newest disc drag models are made by Koreans.

I own two of the Korean made CFO123 click-pawl versions. They sound mighty sweet, and weight but nothing. They were sold in tandem with the 1oz Helios rod as a special edition, and are a dandy item when paired with the Superfine Trout Bums.

I'd also give a solid look at the Sage Click if you're willing to drop phat cash on a clicker reel, TJ Bear's Den has a Chicom clone (Fishon) of the older 3100 series, but they're not as pretty as the Click.

Or, y'know, the Hardy Featherweight you already own.
1wt.jpg

The Abel reels are pretty heavy.
Hardy also has a new line of lower cost furrin made clickers, along with Cortland's Retro and the Redington Drift reels, the aforementioned Fishons, and the veneranable 1492.

Ya, I wouldn't be looking to throw any of the Abels on a 1oz rod. However, I would note that there are some excellent deals on Abel trout reels on ebay.

I have an abel TR1 and it is an awesome little reel! If I saw one on sale for a good price (under 200) in good condition I wouldn't hesitate on buying it. It's nice, smooth, and just a solid feeling reel. I like not having the drag as it is really easy to palm and control with your hand.

All in all it is completely overpriced for the technology. But as a fine piece of machined equipment that will last a lifetime or at least not lose significant value it's definitely a great 'splurge' buy as no matter what it will be a classic and wont necessarily lose any value.

Best part is I bought someone fishing equipment with an orvis battenkill, spare spool along with 2-3 rods, leaders, vest, boxes, 1 or 2 other reels, and this reel. Sold the battenkill and spare spool and owned the rest for nothing, not bad for a broke college kid at the time!

I have a TR1 also and concur with tiltaxp... For tilt, how do you get a TR1 to balance a float rod???

easy, make your float rod from a sage "the one" blank! it will balance itself, cast for me, and turn the abel into a pin! But then why put a fly reel on a float blank? :pint: :hammer:

If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find smaller sized Galvan OB reels on ebay for cheap every now and then. That's a nice reel.

Thanks a lot everyone for all of the suggestions. I actually have less idea of what to get now...I have it narrowed down to "one of each".

@Krayfish...I scoured ebay earlier but Galvan was the only co. I didn't search. I'll look into it.

Since I love researching.... here's some for you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ross-Rhythm-0-Large-Arbor-Fly-Fishing-Reel-1-3wt-NEW-/270751193918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0a075b3e

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Lamson-Velocity-II-1-Fly-Reel-FREE-fly-line-/220764559266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336697d7a2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROSS-Evolution-LT-0-Fly-Reel-GREEN-w-75-Fly-Line-/160587741997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563c67b2d

If you are patient, you can find a deal. I got my Galvan for less than $200

Let me add one more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/J-AUSTIN-FORBES-AVON-3-in-3-4-5-wt-FLY-REEL-NEW-/290532228437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a511fd55#ht_500wt_933

That's actually the big one, the little 2wt Avon weighs in at 1.6oz, and the Magnesium 2.5" 4wt weighs in at 2.2oz. http://www.jaustinforbes.com/

I think K-bob owns some of these?

I can recommend the Forbes reels G linked to above. Been using a pair of the disc versions of the Avon for a year or so now, one is the Farmington model, the other is a solid faced prototype. Holds up to a 4wt DT no problem, even room for a bit of backing, great craftsmanship, English made. Have only dinked 'em on rocks once or twice, no issues with durability yet.

The Abels and Galvans are also nice little clicker reels (there were really good deals on Galvans back in the Spring), or maybe look for a classic Hardy Fly or Featherweight on the eBays...

They're all in the same range for price and quality, pretty much comes down to what feels good and appeals to your eyes & ears...

Too many reels! One thing that I hadn't thought about with RJimmy's Orvis 2wt is that it has the full cork grip with aluminum rings...not an insert style reel seat...so the butt end is actually a little lighter than a standard rod...in turn allowing for a couple more ounces of reel.

That said, I read (and saw) earlier that this rod in question balanced perfectly at the top of the cork grip with a Sage Click II loaded with line and backing. I wish it wasn't $300.

gfen wrote:
Let me add one more:
That's actually the big one, the little 2wt Avon weighs in at 1.6oz, and the Magnesium 2.5" 4wt weighs in at 2.2oz.
I think K-bob owns some of these?

K-Bob is the UL master, and yes, I think that he has the Magnesium. I tried to follow some of his threads on another forum about balancing his UL setups, and it gave me a headache.

Back