2014 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (Newbie Jam) Saturday 3/15/14

Synch the belt on your chest waders a little tighter. :)

Pcray wrote:

But, uh, I don't know about everyone else, but after I eat at these places I end up with some "intestinal discomfort"

)

Becks... real men don't eat sushi. We drinks pints with a traditional English Bfast @ 6AM while watching European Football!

If they have fresh sushi I can eat it if not I will have to bring my own food. I have to live gluten free. Have to be real carefull when I am out.

GenCon

The reason I chose the buffet is that they have a wide variety of food. Really, there's something there for everyone.

If you eat the kimchi and expect no "intestinal discomfort", well, it's your own fault. :lol:

Some other reasons I chose this restaurant is that it's close to the Wildlands Conservancy, and they are flexible as far as seating/capacity.

We've gone to Cali Burrito for other events - beans and waders, and everyone lived. That place is just too small for this size group.

We'll be fine. This is the first time I've heard complaints about our lunch spot - I've only ever heard good things about it for past events. There's a pizza shop and a Subway in the same mall, and Boston Market and TGI Fridays across the street. Something for anyone's tastes really. There's something to be said for being able to just go in and start eating too. Saves a lot of time.

No complaints from me! There is a possibility the mailman was Asain.

The exact building the buffet is in was also the site of the last "big" fly shop in the Lehigh Valley ("A Sporting Lifestyle").

I find it mildy amusing that we're eating lunch in what used to be an Orvis shop. :lol:

Gfen once remarked (after the Orvis shop screwed up his new Abel reel) that he hoped it closed down and got turned into a Chinese buffet. We got a good laugh out of that one!

My comment was not a complaint. I just have multiplel food allergies.
Just have to be real careful. If I eat the wrong thing I could be sick for 2-weeks.

GenCon

I am coming to the Jam tomorrow and hope to fish if it is not too windy. I have never fished in PA. What fly patterns and sizes should I bring for the Little Lehigh? What about leader? Thanks.

calapp,

welcome to the site

I would suggest small nymphs (PTs,HEs) and/or small buggers for the Little Lehigh tomorrow. I checked the USGS guage and its a little high which may be good if its a little off color as well. But BWOs may make an appearance.

Doesn't look like I can make it tomorrow which sucks. I think I promised somebody some flies a while back.

I would expect the main fly activity to be BWO's. So size 18ish. Nymphs and dries to match. We'll see what happens.

Good to have buggers in the box as well.

Calapp ... welcome aboard. Considering ur from NJ and 1st time in Pa ... make sure u have a license. Lol ... 2 years ago Ducker and I were getting shown arnd by theoutsider and the topic of licenses came up ... I didn't have one nor new I needed one lol.

Thanks all.

I bought the license+trout stamp yesterday. I went for the yearly in that the 3-day already half the cost.

What about leaders? In nymphing how deep do I need to be? Split shot/indicator rig or not? Tippet size?

Will also check YouTube.

calapp wrote:
Thanks all.

I bought the license+trout stamp yesterday. I went for the yearly in that the 3-day already half the cost.

What about leaders? In nymphing how deep do I need to be? Split shot/indicator rig or not? Tippet size?

Will also check YouTube.

It's great you decided to take the plunge and buy a yearly license.

All the questions you asked above will be answered at the Jam.

I suggest you spend some time at each table and ask away.

Also, take some time outside to cast.

Have some lunch....break some wind.

And spend the afternoon fishing with the guys.

Should be a great time for all!

I'm looking forward to it.

Just trying to find out in advance how to rig up for PM fishing without missing lunch to prepare.

calapp wrote:
Just trying to find out in advance how to rig up for PM fishing without missing lunch to prepare.

After lunch everyone that wants to fish will meet at the stream parking lot. There will be people there to help you rig up. You won't miss lunch.

calapp wrote:

calapp,

Great to see your enthusiasm.

I'm the instructor assigned to talk about rigging and I have no idea how to rig up for tomorrow afternoon. :-o

It really depends on current conditions.

Also, rigging up only takes a few minutes after you check out the stream conditions and come up with some kind of plan for the day.

Enjoy the seminars, casting, lunch as well as the fishing.

See you there.

OK. I will wait for tomorrow. Thanks.

calapp wrote:
I am coming to the Jam tomorrow and hope to fish if it is not too windy. I have never fished in PA. What fly patterns and sizes should I bring for the Little Lehigh? What about leader? Thanks.[/quote]

Welcome to the jungle!

One piece of advice for Saturday: Don't be afraid to ask questions. Keep doing what you have done here. This group of fellow anglers are the most patient people you will ever meet.

The only stupid question is the one not asked. If you don't ask, you are wasting a learning opportunity.

Glad to hear you are coming out to join us!

Ill be there tomorrow. Im going to bring some Vedavoo gear for everyone to check out.

Back