2014 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (Newbie Jam) Saturday 3/15/14

Be there at 7-7:30am? Not a morning person & 90 minute drive. Don't bet the house on it but I'll try my best to get there early. Can I use Kramer as a moving target at the casting station? Only problem is trout are moving at 30mph as you cast to them.

Is there a list of stuff the noobs should bring? I have waders but will I need them at the spot we will be going to for the stream portion? I have a vise but do I need that for the tying demo? A short list of what to bring and what not to bring would be helpful. See ya Saturday!

Murph wrote:
Is there a list of stuff the noobs should bring? I have waders but will I need them at the spot we will be going to for the stream portion? I have a vise but do I need that for the tying demo? A short list of what to bring and what not to bring would be helpful. See ya Saturday!

Hi Murph,

It'll be nice to see you again.

As far as what to bring :

- Fishing gear (waders optional).
- Current fishing license w/trout stamp
- pen and tablet (optional)

The tying station will be setup to demonstrate tying techniques and flies. There isn't room for a bunch of tyers to sit down and tie. I'm sure Volksnurse will let you try something using his setup if necessary, so don't bring your own tying stuff.

Really, the only thing requiring any gear is the on-stream fishing session, and that's only if you want to fish too. It'd be OK if you showed up with nothing other than yourself and just watched and learned....

H.A.

Absolutely don't mind sharing. I'm bringing a variety of materials geared toward the simpler ties.(Buggers, PT's, SJW's and some others) I'd love to see folks try some hands on stuff. (Got that Stagger and DJS?) It's an opportunity to get some great feedback on technique...

Heritage-Angler wrote:

The tying station will be setup to demonstrate tying techniques and flies. There isn't room for a bunch of tyers to sit down and tie. I'm sure Volksnurse will let you try something using his setup if necessary, so don't bring your own tying stuff.

H.A.

No promises, but I might pack a vise and some implements of tying destruction.....

djs12354 wrote:
No promises, but I might pack a vise and some implements of tying destruction.....

Dave - feel free to hop back and forth between the gear station and the tying station. The gear station is still your baby though.

Da Dog has been assigned to the gear station, and he needs help with that like I need another rod.

Bring the materials for tying a cdc/elk. Saturday is your final exam. :-o

Better get studying Dj !

Wondering what everyone is doing for lunch? Packing or is their local eats.

JVenzia wrote:

Wondering what everyone is doing for lunch? Packing or is their local eats.

Come to the summer fish-n-chips ... we have a great grill master who loves him some GnR.

JT I'm bringing a few tools up

The usual Chinese?

No lunch....right to the stream.

SBecker wrote:
The usual Chinese?

We have lunch reservations at the Gourmet Buffet & Grill for 12:30.

It's under new management, and the food is MUCH better than last year.

I'd rate it as equal to Sakura - and that's pretty good! I took my parents out for lunch a couple of weeks ago when I made the reservations, and they were impressed with the food.

)

Ed - I'll be there around 7:00. As I remember from last year, the wifi didn't work. I'll have several smartphones with me and will set up a hotspot for presenters that need a connection. I seem to remember doing that last year.

ALL - PAFlyFish member Wtsobsessed is hoping but not positive he will join me at the table this year. Michael is the creator of wildtroutstreams.com and has compiled a lot of wild trout maps and data files that you can be download or view on Google Earth covering wild trout all across the US. All the information is FREE.

He and I are collaborating to create a Colorado Wild Trout Streams app that maps and directs users to streams containing native cutthroat trout throughout Colorado. You'll be able to find streams containing any specific species of cutthroat and even narrow things down by genetic purity and population density. If you want to check-off truly native Green Back, Colorado River, and Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout from your bucket-list, this app should get you there.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on the idea from attendees when I'm not tied up at the table presenting. If this app is successful, we plan to expand to other states. Colorado is the #1 destination for out-of-state fly anglers so that's where we decided to start.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

krayfish wrote:
No lunch....right to the stream.

Nope...A man's gotta eat cheap sushi.

Catch fish...yes. Eat fish...Hells no

Only fish I eat are from the ocean. Fresh tuna....mm mm mm mm

Not that Chinese buffet tuna is fresh.

I've always questioned how good of an idea a chinese buffet was at this event. It's not that I don't like Chinese Buffets.

But, uh, I don't know about everyone else, but after I eat at these places I end up with some "intestinal discomfort". Then I leave and put waders on, and walk into a river beside a newbie, who we want to actually enjoy the experience.

Just doesn't seem well thought through. ;)

Back